Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Apple Music, iCloud Music LIbrary - duplicates? remove downloads?

Apple Music, iCloud Music LIbrary - duplicates? remove downloads?
Zoom
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2015, 03:51 PM

I can't believe there isn't already a post on this, but maybe my search missed it.

I just signed up for Apple Music and I enabled the iCloud Music Library. It's basically iTunes Match, I guess.

iTunes is now uploading all the tunes that it didn't already have. Nice.

But I have two glaring problems now.

1) I have lots of duplicate playlists in iTunes on my Mac. Classic Rock and Classic Rock1, for example. They have the exact same contents. Not every playlist was duplicated. Maybe half. Also, some of my smart playlists are duplicated, as well, but the names are the same - except one has a little icon next to it (cloud with a slash through it) and one doesn't. That one that doesn't is empty even though the smart playlist definitions are identical. Why is one empty? What does that icon mean?

2) Now that I can stream my library from the cloud, I want to remove a lot of the songs from my iPhone - that's the point, to save space! I can see that I can do this for any individual song (using the "..." menu on that track), but I have thousands of songs! I thought I could just go to iTunes and uncheck the box for that playlist on my device page (ie, "don't sync this playlist anymore"), but now that I've enabled iCloud Music LIbrary, that tab under the device is empty - it just says "iCloud Music Library is On". I no longer have direct control over what playlists are synced.

Anyone know how to fix these??
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 24GB RAM, 3TB Fusion drive

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2015, 07:35 PM

Actually, just a quick follow up... basically, I want to be able to still manage what songs and playlists are on my iPhone from iTunes. Right now, the only management I can find is on a per-track basis from the device itself (not from my Mac/iTunes).

Note that of the "Playlist" and "Playlist1" playlist pairs, the one ending in "1" is the one that's visible on my iPhone.

Might I just add that this is REALLY bad. I'm reading articles about how badly iCloud Music Library is screwing up people's libraries. Here's one:
http://www.cultofmac.com/327897/did-...n-heres-a-fix/

And ya know... I'd really like to be able to say "don't bother matching this playlist" or whatever... I have a lot of crap in my iTunes library that I have zero need for in the cloud (home audio clips, random crap I've gotten from friends, etc). Basically, if it's not in a playlist somewhere, I don't need it in the cloud.
( Last edited by Zoom; Jul 1, 2015 at 07:55 PM. )

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2015, 04:27 PM

Just talked with Apple Support. I have a ton of issues. Here's some updates (more to come, hopefully)...

1) Duplicate playlists. He's still looking into this for me. Said he's get back to me in a couple business days.

2) No current way to delete songs from phone in bulk in the Music app. However, I've discovered that you can at least do it by artist from the Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage > Music. Or at least I think that worked. You can download music in bulk by artist or playlist, I think.

3) My music isn't syncing with iCloud Music Library. For some reason, my checkbox for "iCloud Music Library" in iTunes > Prefs on my iMac wasn't working. I could check it and click "Okay". But when I opened it up again, it was not checked. To fix this, I had to quit iTunes and restart it. Then clicking on the checkbox worked, and my iTunes again started syncing with the cloud.

4) How to remove songs from cloud? Not sure if this was always there or if this came in an iTunes update, but if you go to delete a song in iTunes now, you have the option to remove it locally or everywhere.

Some tidbits...

Look for the little cloud icons in iTunes, they tell you a lot and you can sort on them. Hovering over them will give you a tooltip with info. Some ones that I've seen:
  • cloud with slash through it on a playlist: there's something in this playlist (usually a smart playlist) that can't be uploaded. Could be a corrupt file, a file with less than 96kbps bitrate, or a file that's too big (I think limit is 200MB?).
  • double cloud with slash: duplicate song. Not sure what this really means... why tell me? If you already have a copy, fine. Not sure what this is about.
  • dotted cloud: waiting to upload
  • cloud with down arrow: song is not on local machine, only in cloud

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2015, 02:31 AM

I saw the duplicate playlists thing some months ago; it added new ones (...1, ...2, ...3, etc.) every time I tried to sync my iPhone.

I ended up resolving it by unsyncing music entirely, thus deleting it off the iPhone, and then re-syncing it.

The issue is completely unrelated to iTunes Match or Apple Music, as I use neither.

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2015, 09:34 AM

I'm mostly sure that the duplicate playlists (in my case) are due to songs that can't be synced, though I need to verify it for every one to be sure. But basically, for my duplicates, I see one of two situations for the two playlists:

1) either the song count is different (meaning some songs were left out because they couldn't be synced)
2) the song count is the same, but at least one song has a "cloud error" icon of some sort.

At least that's what I've seen so far.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2015, 02:00 PM

Yep, I had that, with either songs just missing, or with an incomplete "loading" circle on the individual songs.

This was the culmination of years of total crapshoot iTunes syncing - it hadn't worked right for ages and ages, kinda-sorta being okay via USB sometimes, and never working right over wifi.

As I said, never had iTunes Match, never signed up for Apple Music.

Deleted all music off the iPhone and re-synced, and it's been working fine ever since.

I suggest you try that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules