Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Installing more RAM in 7300

Installing more RAM in 7300
Griz
Jan 9, 2002, 02:18 AM

I had to empty slots left so i installed two 32 mb's. started up and it should have shown 192 but it was 160. opened it up again and one of them was not all the way down on one end. redid it, restarted and had my 192. shows you can put in just 1 and it still works. i was always told they had to be in pairs. thought some one might like to know.
G4 Quicksilver 2002 800Mhz CD-RW Zip 250 15 inch LCD Apple Studio Display HPdeskjet 940c OS X 10.3.2

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2002, 02:56 AM

The D in DIMM stands for dual, two memory modules in one! It is my understanding that with DIMMS, you can always install just 1. Some Macs in the xx00 line got a performance boost by installing RAM in matched pairs (memory interleaving), the 7500, 8500 and 9500 I think. Perhaps this is what you were thinking of?

Paco

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2002, 09:28 PM

Transferring into our Older Systems and Clones forum. Find thread there.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Jan 9, 2002, 09:33 PM

7300 can utilize something called "memory interleaving" which boosts performance by about 10%.

Interleaving occurs when DIMM in opposing slots are the same (32MB in slot B1 and A1, etc.)

They do NOT have to be installed in pairs. They do not have to be the same. But it helps performance slightly.
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Forum Links
Forum Rules