Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Cable Connection not found. Works fine in OS 9

Cable Connection not found. Works fine in OS 9
PMG4DP
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2001, 09:06 PM

This is odd..I have an airport network set up so I can use my PowerBook and my PowerMac with the same internet connect. I boot up my PowerMac which is running OS X..and I can't connect to the internet at all, but I can connect to the net using my powerbook(OS 9) and with my OS 9 on my powermac.

It's not my base station because I get a strong signal in OS 9 and in OS X on both systems. And I can still shar files.
Any ideas on what to do?

-PMG4DP

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: PMG4DP ]
"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt." --GWB

sessamoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2001, 01:42 AM

I'm having a very similar problem. No problems getting an internet connection with my new ibook with airport card from my dlink wireless basestation in os 9. but it's very sketchy in os x. sometimes it will connect, most of the time it won't. even when it does it only runs for a few minutes before it craps out. seems airport on osx still has some issues.

does anybody else have a solution for this?

Originally posted by PMG4DP:
<STRONG>This is odd..I have an airport network set up so I can use my PowerBook and my PowerMac with the same internet connect. I boot up my PowerMac which is running OS X..and I can't connect to the internet at all, but I can connect to the net using my powerbook(OS 9) and with my OS 9 on my powermac.

It's not my base station because I get a strong signal in OS 9 and in OS X on both systems. And I can still shar files.
Any ideas on what to do?

-PMG4DP

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: PMG4DP ]</STRONG>

OreoCookie
Jun 17, 2001, 06:45 AM

Are you using a dual processor G4?
If so, it is a known issue due to the dual configuration. Check it out:

---------------------------------

April 29, 2001, 1:31PM MST- Possible Workaround for Error 264 PPP Disconnects on Dual Processor Machines. DP machines rarely stay connected via PPP for more than 20 minutes- more like 5 minutes average before they get a 264 error. This used to result in a kernel panic, but Apple fixed the panic in 10.0.1. The following Open Firmware commands litterally DISABLE one of the processors, turning your DP into a single proc machine. Use caution with these steps. MacOSX.org is not responsible for any complications. Thanks to Centuri for the assistance.

1. Boot to open-firmware by holding down option-apple-O-F at startup
Type the following:
reset-NVRAM
reset-all
That should reboot your machine.
2. Allow the computer to boot...
3. Shut down machine... wait 20-30 seconds...
4. Boot back into Open Firmware.
Type the following:
setenv boot-args cpus
mac-boot

You are now set to one processor. To turn it back on:
1. Boot to Open Firmware
Type the following:
setenv boot-argscpus=1
mac-boot

--------------------------------------

Did that help?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

djh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2001, 01:40 PM

At work, we have a G4 ( NOT Dual processor) using Airport in OS X quite nicely.
Have you applied the available updates to/for OS X ? If not, you need to. There isn't any real reason to _not_ be running 10.0.3.
Make sure to open the Network panel in System Prefs, and
choose a new location. Save it under the name "Airport-only" (for example). Then click on the Configure pull-down menu & choose Advanced. In the next dialog, de-select everything except Airport,
and also click & drag the Airport line to the top of the list (the list is the order of Port Priorty). Click on Advanced again, and go back to the main menu (your changes will be saved, once you hit the Save button). This should make a difference.
At home, I use a Cable Modem (no Airport), and the first few times I moved from OS 9.1 to X, I had to reset the modem (unplug for 30+ seconds) & then restart, to get the modem to work under OS X.

Forum Links
Forum Rules