Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > @home cable... still no luck

@home cable... still no luck
Cipher13
Sep 26, 2000, 02:05 AM

Ok, yeah I know, its been posted a hundred times. I searched. None of the solutions provided have helped get this to work...
One of the reason I dislike X is that I can't do anything with it at the moment, seeing as I can't even get online.
So heres the go - optus@home cable net, in Australia.
I have tried entering IP info and stuff (I have a static IP), but it still doesn't work.
One thing I wanted to try is setting "connect via ethernet", but I can't find an option for that anywhere...
I've got a feeling I'm missing something really obvious...
Any help would be appreciated...
TIA

Cipher13

Tryme
Sep 26, 2000, 06:50 AM

I am having the same problem. I have drawn the same conclusions as you in that I need to change to "Connect via ethernet" & enter the DHCP Client ID. There does not appear to be anywhere in X to do this. In fact the TCP?IP control panel under X seems to be "stripped down" compared to OS9.

Can someone suggest a fix to put us out of our misery please! :-)

none
Sep 26, 2000, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by Tryme:
I am having the same problem. I have drawn the same conclusions as you in that I need to change to "Connect via ethernet" & enter the DHCP Client ID. There does not appear to be anywhere in X to do this. In fact the TCP?IP control panel under X seems to be "stripped down" compared to OS9.
I had to connect by ethernet. I tried the cable modem and it wouldn't work the only catch is to get the setup assistant to launch again it says it won't open only once. So i uninstalled osX and reinstalled it this time I chose ethernet instead of cable moden then it worked and is still working. I think others have a differen't way but that is what worked for me HTH
Can someone suggest a fix to put us out of our misery please! :-)

none
Sep 26, 2000, 08:07 AM

I think I forgot to mention when you chooe ethernet then a tcp/ip panel wil appear you have to manualy enter the info if I remember correctly there is not a dhcp option might be wrong about that.
HTH

Brett T
Sep 26, 2000, 08:27 AM

One thing to rember when your getting your settings from the TCP/IP control panel in OS9 is to make sure u go to Edit menu/User Mode/Basic and then get the Name server address as well. It quite easy to forgot to do this when u see that it is just blank under advance mode.

I know this helped Cipher13, so I hope it helps so of you others.

Norm
Sep 26, 2000, 11:42 AM

I have @home service. I use a Linksys cable/dsl router as my firewall. The router stores the machine ID for my @home service; therefore, installing OSX proved to be seamless as far as internet access was concerned.

According to an article in Apple's Tech Info Library (article 58725), DHCP Client ID is not supported in OS X Public Beta:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
TITLE

Mac OS X Public Beta: DHCP Client ID Not Available
Article ID:
Created:
Modified: 58725
9/13/00
9/13/00
TOPIC

DHCP Client ID is not a feature of Mac OS X Public Beta.
DISCUSSION

DHCP Client ID is a feature of the TCP/IP control panel in Mac OS 9. This feature is not available in Mac OS X Public Beta.

Document Information
Product Area: Mac OS System Software
Category: Mac OS X
Sub Category: General Topics

Hope this information is useful.

Norm

ravedog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2000, 08:06 PM

There is another parallel thread to this - and they solved the problem with @home by calling @home and asking for a static IP - since they want a DHCP Client ID and OS X does not support this, that is your only avenue (short of having a internal router). By the way, it seems that they are not charging for this. I would jump on this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules