Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Yosemite as a server

Yosemite as a server
TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 02:39 AM

I'm working on setting up an old B&W G3 350 MHz I have as a simple server -- maybe some web, definitely some WebDAV, and maybe some FTP along with firewall and DHCP for my house. I have OS X Server for it, so a lot of this will be pretty straight forward (I have some experience in the Xserve field). Pretty much all I'm missing is a second ethernet card so I can handle the DHCP and firewall side of things. I know there was a list of B&W compatible (or friendly) NICs, but I can't seem to find it. Any suggestions?

Oh, and I realize there are probably going to be quips about this being overkill, which I fully realize. That's the point.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

OreoCookie
Sep 4, 2004, 11:14 AM

From the OpenDarwin site:

Intel 8255x 10/100 ethernet controllers are supported.
3Com 905cXXX based ethernet controllers are supported.
Tulip based ethernet controllers are supported.
Possibly others are supported as well, but these should work in any case since Darwin is the OS foundation of OS X.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

bighead
Senior User
Sep 4, 2004, 11:25 AM

I have several of the ZX345 cards that I bought from WeirdStuff.com a while back. I've used them in everything from 9500s to my Dual 500 and now I have one in my Dual 1.25 tower. The information page is here:

http://www.znyx.com/support/legacy/zx340.htm

The DEC chip that it uses has built-in drivers in OS X so nothing else is needed. You might look into other cards using that chipset. It's funny looking at such a relatively old and simple ethernet card still working strong, but they are the best ethernet cards I've used. Certainly better than RealTek chipset cards in my experience.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

OreoCookie
Sep 4, 2004, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by bighead:
I have several of the ZX345 cards that I bought from WeirdStuff.com a while back. I've used them in everything from 9500s to my Dual 500 and now I have one in my Dual 1.25 tower. The information page is here:

http://www.znyx.com/support/legacy/zx340.htm

The DEC chip that it uses has built-in drivers in OS X so nothing else is needed. You might look into other cards using that chipset. It's funny looking at such a relatively old and simple ethernet card still working strong, but they are the best ethernet cards I've used. Certainly better than RealTek chipset cards in my experience.
Yup, Dec are pretty good cards, I was thinking of getting one for my FreeBSD server.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 09:53 PM

Thanks! This is all good to know. Hopefully I'll have it up and running in a week or so.

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 10:54 PM

I'm updating the server as we speak. I went for a D-Link card (the 530TX+) because it was readily available and cheap. Hopefully I won't have too many problems with it.

Thus far, things are looking good (obviously, because I haven't done much yet). It's been a month or so since I've look at the Server Admin app and I'm realizing why I love OS X Server so much. Talk about making things straightforward. I'll keep you posted on how it all goes.
( Last edited by TimmyDee51; Sep 8, 2004 at 01:10 AM. )

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 01:14 AM

It's up! I've got the old Yosemite running DHCP, NAT, firewall, AFP, and Apache. Some of the things in Server Admin aren't as straightforward as I'd like (little semantics things -- "share connection" -- what does "share" mean in a server environment?). In any case, it's looking good. I plan on setting up a WebDAV share for my bookmarks and other files soon and I might even look into VPN, something that I got all too used to at my old job and now I miss it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules