Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > connecting to another machine

connecting to another machine
Michelle Steiner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2000, 05:23 PM

I'm writing a script that includes the following code fragment

tell application appname of machine machinename --I have the application and machine names hard coded there, but the problem happens with all apps running on the machine, inlcuding the Finder

--instructions

end tell

About 90% of the time, after I get the logon dialog for the machine, enter my password, and click OK, it crashes into the debugger. The other ten percent of the time, the script works as it should.

I can't figure out what is causing the problem; any suggestions or hints?

--Michelle

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2000, 05:14 AM

Hi again Michelle,

What exactly is the error reported when you drop into the debugger? (Also, if you're using MacsBug, you could try entering the 'SC' and 'SC7' commands to view the calling chain and the stacked return addresses; with any luck, these can sometimes provide clues as to exactly how the error was triggered.)

If you haven't already done so, I guess you could also try some other troubleshooting approaches or workarounds. For instance:-
  • Try increasing the preferred memory size of the script applet (or Script Editor, etc.) to an insane amount, perhaps 3000K or more.
  • Try running with just the 'Base' or 'All' extensions set.
  • Try trashing your client Mac's 'AppleShare Prep' prefs file and the invisible 'AppleShare PDS' file at root-level (and perhaps the 'Keychain Access Prefs' file, if you're using Mac OS 9 and storing your passwords in the keychain).
  • Try trashing the other target Mac's Program Linking ('File Sharing') prefs folder.
  • Etc., etc.

Regards,

--Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Crawford (edited 06-17-2000).]

Michelle Steiner  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2000, 11:21 AM

Hi Paul,

I tried quite a few of that stuff last night. I wound up having to do a clean install of the system. After finding out that it worked without problems connecting from Mac C to either Mac A or Mac B (Mac B was the one crashing, and Mac A is the original target), I tried it on Mac B with System 9.0.4 Base and it worked. I then tried it with 9.0.4 All, and the machine locked up solid. I rebooted to Mac 9.0.4 Base and tried again; it locked up again. That's when I decided to reinstall the OS.

I haven't got around to trying the script again; I went to sleep after reinstalling, and am checking email first thing this morning before getting back to the script.

Thanks for the advice and assistance.

--Michelle

Forum Links
Forum Rules