Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sex coming back from the beach

Sex coming back from the beach
Cubeoid
Baninated
Apr 3, 2004, 08:54 PM

Pontiac Solstice

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2004, 09:00 PM

How much?

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 3, 2004, 09:41 PM

IF in goes into production $20,000. Ask some and they plan on 2006 and ask others and they say "no plans to produce."

Here's a some picture sites and some data:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-200...e-Roadster.htm

http://www.fast-autos.net/pontiac/pontiacsolstice.html

From http://www.autointell.net/nao_compan...lstice-02.htm:

DETROIT -- "Keep it simple, pure, and beautiful and it will be easy to love." These were the basic inspirations set down by Bob Lutz, GM's chairman of North American Operations, in creating a "sketch-off" for the first concept vehicle commissioned by GM's new product chief. The call went out at the end of September and by mid-October, the Pontiac Solstice roadster was under development.

"The North American market is ripe for an affordable, pure roadster executed to top global standards on perceived quality, both inside and out," Lutz explained. "The Solstice is striking in its purity and simplicity. The exterior lines are strong, bold and clearly Pontiac - but not over-the-top. The interior is focused on the essential elements of driving -- functional, precise and inviting, executed in a manner that exudes quality and tactile feel.

The program was executed in just under four months from the first sketch, to the drivable vehicle. The thesis is an affordable roadster that would sell for about $20,000, which would be very easy to build in a flexible manufacturing environment. This was accomplished using existing componentry from the GM system.

"This is about taking the best and most appropriate pieces from our system and orchestrating them in a way that is compelling," Lutz said. "This was one that we wanted to execute in a manner that would make production a real possibility. Frankly, the amount of creativity and ingenuity the team used in fulfilling that requirement of the program was really heartening to watch."

The first sketches for the vehicle actually hit Lutz's desk as a stunning coupe penned by designer, Franz Von Holzhausen, a recent addition the GM California design studio.

"I actually decided to throw this particular sketch into the running at the last minute, " said Von Holzhausen. "It was actually based on a coupe I sketched awhile ago and thought might look good as a roadster, so I thought I'd give it a go. I guess the rest is recent history - the ability to design on a program like this is a great opportunity. As much as I've enjoyed doing the roadster, it would be great to see a coupe come into play somewhere down the road."

The exterior is finished in a rich gunmetal gray color, giving the nod to a slight European understatement in the approach. Imposing 19-inch front and 20-inch rear performance tires and wheels fill the wheel openings to provide a strong and powerful stance that accentuates the curves of the body.

The drop-top is a simple "one-hand" operated manual fold down that stows neatly underneath the speedster-style hard cover.

The interior is wrapped in saddle-brown Fragola leather surfaces with exterior color and titanium accents on the console and dashboard. The interior is intimate and clean with attention to detail of execution with the avoidance of any unnecessary accents or controls.

The driver-oriented cockpit uses a two-gauge cluster with tachometer and speedometer. Other critical driver information is displayed on a small LCD screen to the right of the main cluster.

The soul of any worthy roadster is the powertrain. The Solstice is powered by a rear-wheel-drive 2.2-liter DOHC supercharged EcoTec four-cylinder engine generating up to 240 horsepower with premium fuel. The supercharger is an off-the-shelf unit supplied right out of the GM Service Parts performance catalog. The engine is mated to a Borg-Warner performance six-speed manual transmission, the same one used in the Corvette.

The Solstice's basic structure started life as a derivative of GM's global small car architecture, with several modifications for structure and balance, including extensive use of aluminum.

The front end uses a simple and reliable strut configuration with a rack-and-pinion steering system derived from the Subaru WRX, one of GM's alliance partners. The all-aluminum independent rear suspension is derived from GMs mid-size crossover SUV family and also doubles as the mount for the rear differential, which was derived from the new GM mid-size SUVs. Unique fabricated drive-shafts power the rear wheels.

While no plans are existing for production, Lutz is clear it's something that's on his mind.

Obviously, you can't say it's going to be produced before it's had a chance to make the rounds," he explained. "Having said that, you've got to feel good about a vehicle such as this. Clearly we've approached it with a mindset toward production based on low investment, minimal validation time and flexible manufacturing.

"Frankly, like all the programs we want to pursue, the litmus test will be how passionately people tell us they absolutely have to have it. At the end of the day, that's all that matters."

Truepop
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2004, 09:58 PM

I don't normally like roadsters but this one looks great.

pontiac's website says coming fall 2005 so I guess they are going to produce it.

RGB
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2004, 10:27 PM

Insert timeline here

Old news, fellas. Been discussed here before. IS going to be built by Pontiac, with possible Saturn and one of their European brand cars sharing the same platform, to make building the Pontiac one cost-effective.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2004, 10:29 PM

I'm tired of everything under $30,000 sucking... some people just want a small fun car that isn't total crap.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2004, 11:08 PM

That thing reminds me of the G5.
In vino veritas.

RGB
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2004, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by undotwa:
That thing reminds me of the G5.
Reminds me a bit more of the G6 (Pontiac's Grand Am Replacement)

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Apr 4, 2004, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I'm tired of everything under $30,000 sucking... some people just want a small fun car that isn't total crap.
350Z
Lancer EVO VIII
GTI R32

Perhaps not your cup of tea but all of those are far from "total crap"..

And I'm sure that Pontiac will have typical garbage rattle-ass cheap plastic for an interior, in true GM fashion.

Zoom_zoom
Senior User
Apr 4, 2004, 08:50 AM

Damn that is a fine car!

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2004, 09:07 AM

my 2004 wrx was 23,300 pretty much loaded. General consensus is that it's not crap.

Best/most fun car I've ever owned....
Joe

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2004, 09:31 AM

I prefer sex ON the beach... that car is freakin fugly! bleech!

Oh! and too big as an in-line pic too....
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2004, 09:57 AM

If you try picking up chicks with this car, they will notice that your wallet is empty after buying said car.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 4, 2004, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
If you try picking up chicks with this car, they will notice that your wallet is empty after buying said car.
How is your wallet going to be empty? It's going to sell in the low $20K. I could pay cash for 2 each year and still afford nights out on the town.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2004, 10:47 AM

Not bad at all. Best looking GM in 35 yrs (since the `69 Camaro). Powertrain specs?

EDIT: Ugh, I found them... 170HP w/o the supersharger, and I *hate* superchargers and turbochargers, they always seem to have reliability issues over N.A. enigines. At least that's been my experience.

I was hoping it would have that cool 300HP Vortec 5300 aluminum V8 GM put in the SSR. Heck, I'd be impressed with the 220HP i5 (then add a SC if people want 300HP).

Oh well. maybe they'll add one of those as an option after a year or two.
( Last edited by Shaddim; Apr 4, 2004 at 11:01 AM. )
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

brapper
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2004, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
How is your wallet going to be empty? It's going to sell in the low $20K. I could pay cash for 2 each year and still afford nights out on the town.
haha alright moneybags!

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2004, 02:57 PM

Solstice:

Miata:

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2004, 03:08 PM

Looks very nice but it is just a copy of the BMW Z3/4

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

coolmacdude
Senior User
Apr 4, 2004, 03:42 PM

I'm still pissed at GM for killing the F-body.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

RGB
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2004, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Looks very nice but it is just a copy of the BMW Z3/4
Oh yeah, it's a small two seat roadster, it must be a copy of a BMW design...

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2004, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by gerbnl:
I prefer sex ON the beach... that car is freakin fugly! bleech!

Oh! and too big as an in-line pic too....
Is sex on the beach better than a bed. It seems as though the sand might be a problem.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2004, 08:25 PM

How is your wallet going to be empty? It's going to sell in the low $20K. I could pay cash for 2 each year and still afford nights out on the town. [/iWrite]
Fixed

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 5, 2004, 12:08 AM

He he... you're funny.

and poor.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2004, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
Fixed
Damn it. You beat me to it.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2004, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by Cubeoid:

Pontiac Solstice
Eww yuk. Don't they allow heterosexuals to design car headlights any more or something?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2004, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by RGB:
Oh yeah, it's a small two seat roadster, it must be a copy of a BMW design...
Exactly. And it took em forever!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Apr 5, 2004, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by powerbook867:
my 2004 wrx was 23,300 pretty much loaded. General consensus is that it's not crap.

Best/most fun car I've ever owned....
Can I have your car? i love that car.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2004, 01:07 PM

He he... you're funny.

and poor.
Dude, seriously, what the hell?

Some of us can't afford expensive cars like that. Ever consider the fact that a lot of people on MacNN are college students? I don't see why you have to be derogatory toward people like this.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 6, 2004, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Dude, seriously, what the hell?

Some of us can't afford expensive cars like that. Ever consider the fact that a lot of people on MacNN are college students? I don't see why you have to be derogatory toward people like this.
Look you of little brain, I was being facetious. $20k is a cheap car by today's standards.

And if you and the others on here think I'm rich... you have some pretty low standards.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2004, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by fizzlemynizzle:
350Z
Lancer EVO VIII
GTI R32

Perhaps not your cup of tea but all of those are far from "total crap"..

And I'm sure that Pontiac will have typical garbage rattle-ass cheap plastic for an interior, in true GM fashion.
Then there's the SRT-4 for under $20,000. Yeah yeah, it's a Neon, but it's got 275 horsepower and is a damn fast car for the money.

And I think you can get a used Corvette Z06 for around $35,000. A little more expensive than the other cars discussed but a completely new level of performance.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Apr 6, 2004, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Not bad at all. Best looking GM in 35 yrs (since the `69 Camaro).
I beg to differ.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2004, 02:44 AM

Look you of little brain, I was being facetious. $20k is a cheap car by today's standards.

And if you and the others on here think I'm rich... you have some pretty low standards.
Not really. Maybe it's cheap for a new car, I wouldn't know. But you can get a used car that's a few years old for four-digit amounts, so I wouldn't call $20k cheap. Especially when you're talking to college students.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Vader๏ฟฝs Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2004, 02:54 AM

Originally posted by coolmacdude:
I beg to differ.

YARG!

"If it's broke, you choke."

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2004, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by wdlove:
Is sex on the beach better than a bed. It seems as though the sand might be a problem.
Speaking from experience WD?

thirsty
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2004, 08:32 AM

When will Pontiac ditch that **** ugly front end treatment they give all there cars! When !!!!
if you can't be part of the solution don't be part of the problem!!!!

palmberg
Senior User
Apr 6, 2004, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by thirsty:
When will Pontiac ditch that **** ugly front end treatment they give all there cars! When !!!!
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Those grills are ugly as shiat.
I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its words can affect me.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2004, 11:17 AM

I beg to differ.

Sorry, IMO, they're just ugly.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2004, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
Speaking from experience WD?
No, it would be too embarrassing. I was curious if anyone had any experience.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 6, 2004, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Not really. Maybe it's cheap for a new car, I wouldn't know. But you can get a used car that's a few years old for four-digit amounts, so I wouldn't call $20k cheap. Especially when you're talking to college students.
I am not talking to college students. But if I were...

Look in most dorm parking lots in state universities across America. You will find about 25% of the cars cost over $20k.

The stereotype of the poor college student is old.

When I went to college I was drafting for a ventilation company and drove a $18k car. That was 12 years ago. I also had rent and tuition to cover.

If you work hard, most things are obtainable.

BACK ON TOPIC:

I like the looks of most Pontiac designs. Except the Sunfire. That is probably the ugliest car GM has ever designed. But, it is a good deal for the money.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2004, 12:17 PM

Not bad for a Pontiac....
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24ยจ, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

coolmacdude
Senior User
Apr 6, 2004, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Sorry, IMO, they're just ugly.
Has twice the horsepower of the Solstice though.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2004, 10:02 AM

I beg to differ.

You don't have to beg, but you do most definitely differ.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules