Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Dual NIC's on G4.

Dual NIC's on G4.
C.A.S.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2004, 04:12 AM

This is what I want to do...

I have a G4 MDD (obviously it has Gigabit ethernet built-in). I am connected tot eh web via a router and a PC is also connected to the router and both Mac and PC are file sharing over a 100T (PC only has 100T NIC).

I want to exchange the 100T NIC on the PC for a Gigabit one and add another 100T NIC to the G4. I want to be able to connect my router to the G4 on the added 100T NIC and then connect the PC to the G4 with the G4's built-in Gigabit. There will not be any internet sharing as I don't want to connect the PC to the web.

So the question is...Will the Mac be able to connect to both the PC and the router (internet) on two seperate NIC's????

Thanks for any input or advice.

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2004, 07:47 AM

Yes, the Mac & PC will see each other on both NICs.

Your intention is to connect the two machines directly with a gigabit connection for file sharing only, right?

If so, I would allocate static IP addresses to the two gigabit NICs on a different subnet to that being used by the router

For example, if the router is handing out addresses in the 192.168.0.x range, set the Mac's gigabit cable to 172.16.0.1 and the PC to 172.16.0.2

Then, in the Finder on the Mac, use Go > Connect To Server... and connect to smb://172.16.0.2 to make sure you're connecting with the right NIC. On the PC use \\172.16.0.1 in the Start > Run... menu to connect to the right NIC on the Mac

You may need to rearrange the network priority on the Mac in System Preferences to get to the internet as the Mac might prefer the faster connection by default

Hope this helps

-mrwalker

C.A.S.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2004, 07:53 PM

That worked like a charm...thanks...

I went from 9MB/sec to about 25MB/sec...not exactly 10 times faster but I think that may be a bottleneck on the hard drive side...

I also attached a Firewire 800 PCI card and I went from 12MB/sec to 25MB/sec witht he FW800...

Speed is always GOOD....

Forum Links
Forum Rules