Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > De-clawing my cat - opinions solicited

View Poll Results: Is it appropriate to de-claw a cat?
Poll Options:
Yes. 23 votes (26.44%)
No. 64 votes (73.56%)
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll
De-clawing my cat - opinions solicited
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 10:31 PM

My kitten Gitche is growing up fast. He's smart and loving, and I adore him. But he's begun clawing things, including clothes hanging in closets, climbing up all the way to the shelf.

De-clawing is an option. Should I?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2006, 10:37 PM

No. My grandparents insisted on having my de-clawed years ago and they did. The vet didn't do a great job—it was rather brutal—and Shiver wouldn't leave his pawns alone, so a few of his toes have fleshy pieces hanging. All covered with fur, but not normal.

It's a minor thing to trim your cat's claws once a month. Here: Would you rather have your finger- and toenails ripped out while you were asleep, or just trim them a few times a month? Go with trimmers—it's not a hassle and easier on the cat.

Yose
Senior User
Nov 29, 2006, 10:38 PM

I don't like declawing because of that "it's like cutting of their finger" stuff. I'm also lucky to have 2 cats that keep their clawing to a cardboard pad, and when the little one (still a kitten) does claw something else I'm able to catch her quickly enough to train her not to. And I keep both cats nails nicely trimmed.

However, my mother's kitten needs to be declawed simply because shes not around as much to train the cat, which seems to get bored pretty easily. If it keeps doing what it's doing they aren't going enjoy living with each other. The cat might not have it's" finger tips", but it'll have a great home.

PS. There are two vets in the GTA I've had good experiences with when my animals have needed surgery, etc. PM me and I'd be happy to share, if you like.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2006, 10:39 PM

This is going to get fun!!! I say do it... I used to be all high and mighty about not de-clawing my cats... that is until after about 3 years of trying every technique in the book to get them to stop clawing up everything in sight. Most of my furniture was ruined and my walls were a wreck. I finally gave in and did it... it was the smartest decision and I wish I had done it sooner.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 10:42 PM

How old is the cat?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2006, 10:43 PM

Its fine to me. All of our cats have their front paws (except one that knows how to use them ). Otherwise I would look like I has swum in a sea of needles!
Signature depreciated.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 10:44 PM

Don't do it. Keep them trimmed, or you could give these a try. We used these back when our cat found one of our chairs to be an ideal scratching post, and they work well. You can even choose what color to use.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2006, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
Don't do it. Keep them trimmed, or you could give these a try. We used these back when our cat found one of our chairs to be an ideal scratching post, and they work well. You can even choose what color to use.
Ick. those things must hurt. How does a cat not go insane from warring those things?
Signature depreciated.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 10:51 PM

Heh:

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2006, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Ick. those things must hurt. How does a cat not go insane from warring those things?
I'm guessing cats don't feel things on their nails, and don't have much of a sense of style to begin with, so wouldn't particularly mind what color you used.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Trust me, if they bothered or hurt, they wouldn't sell, because cats would end up ripping them all off. Our cat got used to them after a couple of days, and didn't seem to notice they were there.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
How old is the cat?
Born July 24th. Still too early for de-clawing, I think.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 11:22 PM

The feline in question:

And the inspiration for Gitche's unusual name: Gitche-Anahmi-Bezheu.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2006, 11:25 PM

he looks so harmless

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2006, 11:45 PM

Leave that cat's claws be, it's bad enough we cut off pet's knackers (but that is probably necessary most of the time), but leave him with some sense of catyness! How's he gonna climb stuff and rip stuff up without his claws? He wouldn't be able to have a proper cat life.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2006, 11:56 PM

Depends, if you let the cat out. It needs its defense. But, not, then maybe. I'm against it, but, understand the motive.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 12:01 AM

Afaik declawing is illegal in almost every country outside of North America.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 12:18 AM

Your cat's claw is not a toenail. It is actually closely adhered to the bone. So closely adhered that to remove the claw, the last bone of your the cat's claw has to be removed. Declawing is an amputation of the last joint of your cat's "toes".

Declawing is not a humane act. It is a surgery, with a painful recovery period. And remember that during the time of recuperation from the surgery your cat would still have to use its feet to walk, jump, and scratch in its litter box regardless of the pain it is experiencing. Wheelchairs and bedpans are not an option for a cat.

Declawing is illegal in most European countries, it's treated as mutilation. If you're serious about declawing your cat I'd suggest finding another home for them instead. Preferably one where they won't be as badly mistreated as you are contemplating.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2006, 01:14 AM

I've used soft claws (claw tips) extensively... they're a minor pain to put on the cat, but they don't seem to care. I advise against declawing... they're not stupid and will learn fairly quickly not to shred things...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 01:42 AM

Personally I feel it's inhumane to declaw them. Do you have a scratching post for your cat? It's worked wonders for our cats. I wouldn't say they haven't scratched furniture up at all, but it's been very minimal. I'd certainly at least try Soft Paws before doing it.

Annette310
Nov 30, 2006, 01:52 AM

Please do not declaw!!!! It is inhumane!! It's like cutting off the 1st knuckles. Its a very painful procedure. It's outlawed all over the world, except the U.S (go figure!). There are alternatives: soft paws and scratching post are good ideas. When my cat was younger she would claw at everything but eventually she grew out of it. Now she claws things very little. Plus she has a post. Please don't do it!

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2006, 02:04 AM

Better yet, if you own anything of value in your home - simply don't get a cat that lives indoors.

Contrary to hopeful opinion, you cannot always train a cat to *not* claw your furniture. Nor can you always train a cat to *not* urinate outside of its litter box.

While hundreds of books are written on these subjects, none of the suggestions even work 20% of the time.

It's a cat, after all. If it were trainable, then it would be a dog.

Annette310
Nov 30, 2006, 02:13 AM

If a cat urinates outside of the litter box it could be a sign of something more serious, healthwise. You can let your cat outdoors but then they are bigger dangers...cars, other animals, diseases, fleas. etc... Personally, my cat means more to me than a couch.

Annette310
Nov 30, 2006, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Your cat's claw is not a toenail. It is actually closely adhered to the bone. So closely adhered that to remove the claw, the last bone of your the cat's claw has to be removed. Declawing is an amputation of the last joint of your cat's "toes".

Declawing is not a humane act. It is a surgery, with a painful recovery period. And remember that during the time of recuperation from the surgery your cat would still have to use its feet to walk, jump, and scratch in its litter box regardless of the pain it is experiencing. Wheelchairs and bedpans are not an option for a cat.

Declawing is illegal in most European countries, it's treated as mutilation. If you're serious about declawing your cat I'd suggest finding another home for them instead. Preferably one where they won't be as badly mistreated as you are contemplating.

Ditto!

Ham Sandwich
Nov 30, 2006, 02:15 AM

Couldn't of said it better myself.

A cats natural instinct is to exercise their claws. Take this away and some cats go really go mental and you'll have to have the cat probably put to sleep. Also, getting it done after they are a kitten will be more traumatic.

Don't declaw your cats and please get it neutered, if not already (which can be done as early as eight weeks old).

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2006, 02:17 AM

It has been my experience that sometimes cats urinate outside their litterbox just because they're cats. And sometimes cats just enjoy clawing your $3600 leather sectional sofa. Again, because they're cats. When you start trying to understand cats, behavioral science dictates that you are halfway to being a nut.

Can you tell I've owned a few cats?

iT4c0
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2006, 02:18 AM

I am strongly against declaw simply for the same reason. You are cutting off their bones. Imaging what if someone cut off your last part of your finger. I adopted a cat which got declaw already, and she is much more defensive and unsecure around other cats. Buy a scratch pole and put them at the spot they scratch the most(usually the corner of couch, sofa, or bed).
Please Please DO NOT de-claw your cat

Sbtrfuge
Baninated
Nov 30, 2006, 02:23 AM

Yes. Cats with claws are obnoxious. You go to bet them and they'll be all happy and then suddenly swipe at your hand with razor sharp claws for no reason other than the well known fact that ALL cats secretely HATE humans.

I suggest removing your cat's claws with something like a flamethrower.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2006, 02:24 AM

by the way....

years ago when I was married, my wife had one of our troublesome kitties declawed. It wasn't an easy decision. The procedure is indeed a painful one, best I could tell. After a week or two the kitty was getting around just fine. It still clawed at the furniture, but there was no damage. So, our experience with declawing a cat was a fabulous one. Your mileage may vary. If the decision is either to get rid of the cat or have it declawed, then I'd say get rid of the cat. If getting rid of the cat means it will likely be euthanized, then declaw the cat.

Annette310
Nov 30, 2006, 02:29 AM

Sbtrfuge
Baninated
Nov 30, 2006, 02:39 AM

Forbidden!

talisker
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2006, 05:53 AM

For pete's sake. If you can't bear the thought of your expensive furniture or carpets being damaged, then don't keep an animal in your house. My kids mess up the walls with mucky handprints, but funnily enough I'm not considering cutting their hands off.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2006, 08:14 AM

Get a scratching post (as early as possible) dammit. Pets are not a toy, nor there for your convenience. De-clawing is animal cruelty for your own vainness sake, and there's a reason why it's banned. Can't take the responsibility? Don't get a cat! (Or a kid for that matter).

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2006, 08:44 AM

I have many cats in my life some with claws and some that go declawed.

No I also have heard all of the arguments and to be honest I'm on the fense. I understand what people are saying in how the claws are removed but the same token Vets no what their doing (typically) and can remove the claws without any further pain. I also think the younger this occurs the better off the cat is going to be. The prospect of long term pain may increase as the cat gets older basically that's like us. As a child its a lot easier to bounce back from surgery then an adult is.

I have two older cats that are no declawed and to be honest I wish they were. They have scratched some very expensive leather furniture. before I bought the furniture many other cat owners who had learther furniture mentioned that they leave that stuff alone, well let me set the record straight they don't. Yes we have scratching posts for them which they use but they try to go to the furniture too.
Michael

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2006, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Annette310 View Post
It's outlawed all over the world, except the U.S (go figure!).
It's legal here in Canada also.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 08:55 AM

Uno was totally declawed when he was a baby. Actually, he went in one weekend a boy with claws, and he came out a sterile declawed kitty.

After only a couple of days, he was spot-on fine — and he never had any issues.

That said, if I ever get another cat, I will do my best to NOT declaw them. If they're over 6 months, I won't dare. Thus, Soft Paws will be my first line of defense while they're little.

andi*pandi
Nov 30, 2006, 09:07 AM

NO to declawing. You may think he's an indoor cat and doesn't need claws, but should he ever get out he will not be able to defend himself or climb a tree to get away from predators.As he's a kitten, it's your job to train him as best you can. When he scratches something he shouldn't, pick him up and move him to a proper scratching post. Repeatedly. You can't blame him for scratching if he doesn't have a proper alternative.

After a while of this, spray him with water if he scratches furniture, or shake a jar of pennies, yell "SSSST!" or just keep your closet door closed. The SSST thing seeemed remarkably effective.

Their first month home, our kitties climbed everything, scratched the furniture, and knocked things off shelves. With a little training, now they only scratch their post, and climb more carefully (things rarely knocked off shelves) and know to stay off the table. They're also a year old now. Smarter. We have leather and ultrasuede furniture that survived intact and looking great.

I trim the cats claws every month or so. Wrap em up in a towel, talk nicely, and give lots of treats afterward. They forgive me. The catnip is also kept in the clipper box.

now where's the cat lady???

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 10:10 AM

Dont do it.
we don't have time to stop for gas

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Dont do it.
What he said.

If you spend lots of time touching cat's paws and popping out their claws with your fingers they will get used to you messing with them and then you can easily trim them with nail clippers. I always train my cats to let me do this.

Plus if you give them a proper scratching post ( I made mine ) you can teach them to leave your furniture alone.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
]I trim the cats claws every month or so. Wrap em up in a towel, talk nicely, and give lots of treats afterward. They forgive me. The catnip is also kept in the clipper box.
I always trim our cats nails when he's in deep sleep. By the time he really wakes up and becomes aware, I'm already done.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 11:17 AM

Personally, I do not like declawing cats, but if it's the only way to keep them in a home, then it's better then letting them go.

It might not be the nicest thing in the world, but declawed cats do just fine once they heal up. All of my parents cats get declawed and live long happy lives.

None of my cats are declawed though.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 11:45 AM

I would never put a cat though that as I have seen some become warped for life because of it. I just trim my cats nails every month or so and never have a problem with them scratching stuff.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2006, 11:54 AM

My dad had my cat declawed when I went away to college. She would sit on a chair and take swipes at the dog as she ran by. I guess the cat got the dog's "eyelid" once, and that was the last straw. Had I been asked, I would have said we should try and find her a new home first. A good 6 years later a homeless kitten "adopted" me. I wanted to let her keep her claws, but she was kicking the crap out of the significantly older declawed cat. I was selfish and went for the declaw on the new cat.

The surgery went fine, but it was pretty awful to watch her limp and shake her feet with every step. Also, having seen her before and after, I have to say, yeah, it's like having your thumbs removed. You can get along without a thumb, but having busted up both my thumbs, it's not hyperbole to say that having thumbs is one of the things that make you human.

Claws are one of those things that make you a cat.

Yes, I know I am anthropomorphizing.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 12:01 PM

Chopping off the body parts of a living thing because it inconveniences you is cruel, selfish, irresponsible and lazy. If you aren't willing to either clip it's claws or live with a fully clawed cat then you neither need nor deserve a cat.

Would you pull a dogs teeth because it chews on your stuff?

Just my opinion.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2006, 12:06 PM

It's just plain wrong. If you can't tolerate your cat having claws, then you shouldn't have a cat. Give your cat to someone else.

I didn't think much of it until I saw a cat that had recently had it done. It's nasty and awful and should be outlawed.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Chopping off the body parts of a living thing because it inconveniences you is cruel, selfish, irresponsible and lazy. If you aren't willing to either clip it's claws or live with a fully clawed cat then you neither need nor deserve a cat.

Would you pull a dogs teeth because it chews on your stuff?

Just my opinion.
By this logic, spaying and neutering pets is also cruel, selfish, irresponsible and lazy. I mean, if you are too lazy to make sure your pet doesn't reproduce, maybe you shouldn't even have one.

But there are hundreds of thousands of cats that need homes. Is putting a cat to sleep a better alternative then having someone adopt and then declaw one?

I've seen too many perfectly happy declawed cats to think it's that cruel.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy View Post
So, our experience with declawing a cat was a fabulous one.
You're not the cat!

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Chopping off the body parts of a living thing because it inconveniences you is cruel, selfish, irresponsible and lazy.
[insert circumcision joke here]

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Heh:

We tried those soft paw things and were not impressed. They are a major pain in the ass to apply. Good luck getting your cat to hold still while you squeeze out his claws, and slowly attach rubber tips to them with a terrible smelly glue.

Not only that, but once they are on, all the cat does is go to a corner and start to chew them off. We couldn't get a set of them to stay on for more then a couple of days.

Our best solution to the cats clawing things is just to put a lot of cardboard scratching pads everywhere and sprinkle them with catnip. The cats love them.

http://www.kookykat.com/catnip%20scratch%20pads.htm

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 12:36 PM

I should add that I'm worried about Gitche. He uses his claws to climb to places he can't get down from. This morning, I found him trapped at the top of the Christmas tree.

Jumping down from the top of a tree or a closet looks like a recipe for a broken leg.

This cat is too smart for his own good. (He's the only cat I've ever known that plays fetch. He actually wakes me up at night with a stuffed Snoopy dog he likes to play fetch with.) He's gonna climb up anywhere he can figure out. I'm worried I'm gonna get home and he'll be whimpering over a broken bone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules