Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does country music suck?

Does country music suck?
macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2006, 10:17 PM

I think it's easy for people to say they hate country. However, it really depends. If you're talking about Johnny Cash, then no, country doesn't suck. If you're talking about the **** you hear on the country radio stations nowadays, then... probably yea.

I just watched Walk the Line. That JohnnyJune Cash country music really strikes a chord within me

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2006, 10:22 PM

No, I like it all.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2006, 10:23 PM

I live it all. It's just like rock music. It's changed DRASTICALLY since the 50s, just like country has, and it's still rock.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

alligator
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2006, 10:26 PM

I never really liked country until the 1990's. It took on more of a rock style than the old 1970's style that most people are familiar with. I really enjoy it now and listen to it often when I'm working in my garage.

brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Dec 29, 2006, 10:27 PM

I find country disturbing.. Techno Goth Industrial Punk and Rock here

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2006, 10:29 PM

A lot of country music sucks. A fair amount is good. Johnny Cash, George Strait, Mark Chesnutt, Clint Black, Dwight Yoakam — all those folks are not only really good examples of country music, but examples of really good music in general.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Rumor
Dec 29, 2006, 10:32 PM

The new stuff is pure garbage with titles like "Girls Gone Wild" and "Save a horse, ride a cowboy". Really, did they run out of broken down trucks and lost women to sing about?

If one is going to listen to country, they have to go back quite a ways to find anything of real quality*.

*This, like everything, does have exceptions.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2006, 10:37 PM

wilco doesnt suck
we don't have time to stop for gas

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2006, 10:40 PM

There's far too much current country music that depends on the following formulas:
"I did something I knew I wasn't supposed to, I got caught, and I'm suffering for it. Poor me."
"I do stupid stuff when I'm drunk, but I get drunk anyway. Why have all my friends gone away?"
"Why did she leave just because I cheated on her? A lot."
"I cannot express my feelings because I never learned to, so I allow my heart to be broken all the time without making any effort to prevent it." (I actually like a number of this type of song, but they're rare and harder to write.)

Classic country music suffers from a lot of stupid clichés and hokey (often ungenuine) sentiment, but there are gems among these paste jewels. Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings and their class of writers produced (and still produce) genuine music with real feeling and (amazing for the genre) a huge amount of literacy. Between the "Outlaw" era and when Randy Travis showed up, all the "good country music" was by the above artists or their contemporaries (and seldom aired on mainstream country radio). Since the "New Traditionalists" ran their course, a lot of country has turned into rock with more understandable lyrics (but no more feeling or meaning than any other pop crap), or just dumb stuff.

I have the good fortune to have a country music fan for a wife, and she screens the music for me. In other words, when she says "listen to this," it's going to be good. But when I'm trying to avoid commercials on the other stations, changing to a country station (around here, anyway) is just useless; they're 99.9% certain to be playing something that will turn me off within two bars-unless they're crowing about how they play "the most hits with the least talk!" I haven't figured out how that works out, since they all seem to play about 25 minutes of commercials and "personalities" an hour... Maybe "country radio" needs a completely new format. Like playing "music" more than doing anything else... What a concept!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Annette310
Dec 29, 2006, 10:42 PM

I have to agree with others. The country you hear now sucks. I really like Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, Hank Williams..

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2006, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
wilco doesnt suck
No they most certainly do not suck. But...Wilco is country?

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2006, 10:47 PM

neko case does most definetely not suck.

Rumor
Dec 29, 2006, 10:54 PM

I'm burning some Johhny Cash cds at this moment.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 29, 2006, 10:57 PM

Cash isn't country. He's more folk or bluegrass.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2006, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
yup.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2006, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Cash isn't country. He's more folk or bluegrass.
Bluegrass is a subgenre of country. For instance, Alison Krauss & Union Station is the biggest bluegrass band in recent history, and it was country radio that played them.
Chuck
___

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 30, 2006, 12:25 AM

Then how come bluegrass doesn't talk about sex with family members, shooting sick cattle, or cars not starting?

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2006, 01:42 AM

radio ANYTHING seems to suck nowadays.

I really dig Fred Eaglesmith a lot

and I prefer Outlaw country or Alternative country as the good stuff is called now...

zro
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2006, 01:47 AM

Roy Clark and Chet Atkins are about all I can stomach.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2006, 02:14 AM

Modern country does indeed suck. It is just as contrived as anything in the pop world.

I don't really LISTEN to the old country but I can at least appreciate it.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Dec 30, 2006, 02:51 AM

Some does, some doesn't...just like all musical genres. Hell, a lot of artists have stuff that sucks and doesn't suck. Johnny Cash isn't immune to this fact either.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2006, 03:22 AM

A thread on country music, and no one's mentioned Gram Parsons yet? For shame, people. For shame.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 30, 2006, 07:01 AM

this kid showed up at our Christmas Keg Party the other day out at the park. He had a big 'ol F250 Diesel, and a retarded trucker hat and huge belt buckle, playing some terrible music from his truck.
He wanted to join us and knew one of the guys in our group, but he was obnoxious as all heck.

My friend took his belt somehow, he wanted the buckle.

Country Music blows. Except Willie Nelson and Mr. Johnny Cash.
ice

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2006, 09:45 AM

Wilco is certainly not country. In their early days they were classified as alt-country, but they've moved far away from their early work. A Ghost is Born has nothing in it that could be classified as country.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2006, 11:59 AM

The new stuff they play on the "Country" stations does suck.

The older stuff, eh, not so much.

-Owl

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 30, 2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Wilco is certainly not country. In their early days they were classified as alt-country, but they've moved far away from their early work. A Ghost is Born has nothing in it that could be classified as country.
I had heard them in the past (for example when Yankee Hotel Foxtrot came out), and I'd have put them in "alternative rock" myself. I went to their site last night while reviewing this thread and my wife and I listened to YHF some. Not country from our angle. Please note we live in San Antonio, Texas and have just up the road one of the Meccas of country music, namely Austin. Maybe we have a more specific definition of "country music" than other people. For example, we both disagree that Mary Chapin-Carpenter belongs in the country classification; she's folk if anything, yet the "system" likes to throw her work in with the likes of Loretta Lynn and Patsy Cline. It just doesn't fit.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 30, 2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy View Post
The new stuff they play on the "Country" stations does suck.

The older stuff, eh, not so much.
Word. The new stuff is just candy coated pop music with a lap-steel guitar and a country accent.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2006, 02:25 PM

Country music nowadays is (as some others have mentioned) not country music. It's rock with boots and a Cowboy hat. (and a twang). I hate that stuff. The old country is enjoyable somewhat. If you ask me what music I like, I'll reply with "Anything that's not country or rap".

The old style country, I can get along with.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2006, 02:50 PM

For me, the question is "what is Country music?". It seems to me that most of what currently calls itself "Country" is actually Top 40 or Rock.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2006, 02:58 PM

Chuck
___

Salty
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2006, 04:54 PM

Mike Kelly is awesome, country with turn tables. Really interesting stuff, that said typically i don't like country, the twang and the hillbillyness drives me nuts. Though I don't mind some country influence in other genres.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2006, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Mike Kelly is awesome, country with turn tables. Really interesting stuff, that said typically i don't like country, the twang and the hillbillyness drives me nuts. Though I don't mind some country influence in other genres.
I don't hear the country.
Chuck
___

Salty
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2006, 05:01 PM

Did you listen to Ain't About Dreams Anymore?

volcano
Senior User
Dec 30, 2006, 06:04 PM

I had heard them in the past (for example when Yankee Hotel Foxtrot came out), and I'd have put them in "alternative rock" myself. I went to their site last night while reviewing this thread and my wife and I listened to YHF some. Not country from our angle. Please note we live in San Antonio, Texas and have just up the road one of the Meccas of country music, namely Austin. Maybe we have a more specific definition of "country music" than other people. For example, we both disagree that Mary Chapin-Carpenter belongs in the country classification; she's folk if anything, yet the "system" likes to throw her work in with the likes of Loretta Lynn and Patsy Cline. It just doesn't fit.
I find it strange how I live in this supposed Mecca... yet I rarely, if ever, hear country music in the establishments I visit around town. Austin is really diverse, though, and I wouldn't be caught dead in bars like Coyote Ugly and all those country-like places downtown. It's just not me. But I do see plenty of Ford F-350s, F-250s, Silverados, and big ass trucks in general which more than makes up for it. I absolutely hate country, but I do have a place in my heart (and my catalog of music) for both Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash.

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2006, 07:19 PM

the new stuff sucks bad

the older stuff, 60's, 70's, and through 80's, is better. And a bit of the 90's is ok.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 30, 2006, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by volcano View Post
I find it strange how I live in this supposed Mecca... yet I rarely, if ever, hear country music in the establishments I visit around town. Austin is really diverse, though, and I wouldn't be caught dead in bars like Coyote Ugly and all those country-like places downtown. It's just not me. But I do see plenty of Ford F-350s, F-250s, Silverados, and big ass trucks in general which more than makes up for it. I absolutely hate country, but I do have a place in my heart (and my catalog of music) for both Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash.
Two words: Broken Spoke. South Lamar near 71.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2006, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Country Music blows. Except Willie Nelson and Mr. Johnny Cash.
I agree. Although I would like to add my all time favorite country song, "Devil Went Down to Georgia" by Charlie Daniels.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2006, 08:17 AM

Over the past 5-10years, I have come to refer to the "modern" country you hear on the radio nowadays as "bowurrrrerrrra" music.....as it all seems to sound like a bunch of sick cyotes howling at the moon

And yea, Johnny, Hank & Willie r da kings of real country IMO !
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Burrrrrppppp!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2006, 01:22 PM

No.

Avett Brothers
Dolly Parton
George Jones
Merle Haggard
Hank WIlliams
Hank Williams III
Willie Nelson
Johnny Cash
Loretta Lynn
Rosanne Cash
Steve Earle
Waylon Jennings
"Alt-Country" Whiskeytown, Neko Case, Old 97s

All good stuff.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 31, 2006, 01:25 PM

Southern Rock wasn't bad. Zakk Wylde of black label society had a cool band called "Pride and Glory" that kicked ass in the 90s.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2007, 10:41 PM

i hate country, with few exceptions. too formulaic in general.. some old-school stuff is cool, particularly when it includes more blues/gospel elements etc
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 3, 2007, 02:14 AM

I went to a few Bluegrass festivals when I was real young. I remember kinda thinking it was alright. I was diggin' the Hall and Oates tape my dad gave me that year as well.

I can't lose a game of pool when Devil Went Down to Georgia is playing. Same goes for "Bad to the Bone" and "1 Bourbon, 1 Scotch, 1 Beer", both by George Thorogood.
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules