Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook G4 Problems: No Sound, loss of network connection, etc.

PowerBook G4 Problems: No Sound, loss of network connection, etc.
ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 07:29 PM

Hello,

I'm posting this on behalf of someone who's running into a slew of problems with his PowerBook G4:

Source:
Powerbook g4 and sound

I have almost completely lost sound on my pwerbook 17 inch. My box is about 10 months old and the problem started about 2 weeks ago. there is no startup sound ever, and sound simetimes comes back after i have been using it for awhile. I also noticed that my wireless connection never comes back after the machine goes to sleep, i cant get an ip without a restart. I cant boot from a external drive and the Hardware test gives me a invalid memory error when i try to run that. I have an additional 512meg of ram and i have pulled that out and tried everything but get the same results. any suggestions?

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2004, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by ginoledesma:
and the Hardware test gives me a invalid memory error when i try to run that. I have an additional 512meg of ram and i have pulled that out and tried everything but get the same results. any suggestions?
What about the other memory?

Is the machine under warranty?

Check parts in this order:

memory
logic board
processor

from reading the posts on the other message board, this is definitely NOT a software issue. One PRAM reset should bring back the startup chime.

Possibilities there:
speakers
logic board

This machine has two memory sockets. Pull out the Apple RAM and see if the third party memory makes the problems go away (not likely).

As an Apple Certified Tech that actually has a clue, you need a new logic board. the invalid memory access error can be memory, logic board, or processor. It drops you into an open firmware prompt. If swapping RAM modules doesn't make it go away, you need a new logic board. Period. End of story.

What we do here in Western NC with warranty machines is we order the part and call the customer when it comes in so that the customer has minimal down time, assuming the machine otherwise works reliably; in your case, I would say the machine is not reliable. Any further use of something with unreliable memory could seriously corrupt any and all of your data. After the logic board replacement, I would highly recommend a format and reinstall of the OS, as it and your directory are likely both corrupt.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules