Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help: No power in CD-RW drive

Help: No power in CD-RW drive
ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2000, 12:01 PM

I have a PowerMac G4 which has the standard DVD-Drive. I recently borrowed a Memorex CD-RW to transfer my files from my hard disk to some CDs. Upon removing the DVD drive and replacing it with the CD-RW drive, neither the Mac OS nor toast can find the drive. I used Apple System Profiler and other utilities to check whether any drive is present at all in "Internal ATA 0", but nothing is listed.

I tried pressing the Eject button to spit out the tray, but it doesn't respond. It seems that there isn't any power going to the drive. The drive works well on a PC I have, but it simply doesn't work with the G4. I tried swapping power cables and ATA cables to no avail.

Any ideas? I'm completely lost. My DVD drive is back in place again, and works fine. The CD-RW drive works on the PC as well. Sigh!

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2000, 01:30 PM

you sure you have all your connections right? Maby that CD-RW drive isent compatable with macs

ginoledesma  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2000, 02:44 AM

I'm trying it again tonight. The CD-RW is compatible with Macs, since I have seen others use it with Adaptec Toast before. Moreso, the drive should at _least_ have power (LED should light up on startup, tray should open).

I was also thinking that maybe the power cable connector isn't touching the metal receivers of the drive. Sigh!

Misha
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2000, 12:04 PM

Are you sure the drive still works? You didn't drop it or anything? If you're able to plug the power cable into it and there is no activity when you start up your Mac (the LED should blink) then I'd hazard to guess there's an issue with the drive itself.

ginoledesma  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2000, 01:45 AM

I'm very, very sure it still works.

I keep juggling the drive from the PC to Mac and viceversa to verify if the drive still works. Here's what I did:

1. Remove DVD drive on Mac; Remove CD-RW from PC
2. Placed DVD on PC, CD-RW on Mac
3. DVD ok on PC, CD-RW not ok on Mac
4. Placed DVD on Mac, CD-RW on PC
5. DVD ok on Mac, CD-RW ok on PC

Forum Links
Forum Rules