Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad Pro----->Local File Server?

iPad Pro----->Local File Server?
Thorzdad
Feb 6, 2018, 12:50 PM

I know, with iOS11, iPads gained the limited ability to grab files off the cloud and work on them. But, as far as I can tell, an iPad user still cannot connect to a local file server, correct?

The reason I ask...A couple of people at my wife's office have been handed iPad Pros with which to do their work. They use a combination of apps like Word and Excel. Grabbing files from Dropbox or iCloud Drive is not a problem. But, it appears that they cannot connect to (or even see) the local file server when in the office. (fwiw, the server is a Mac Mini.) This also means that any files they create from scratch on the iPad cannot be saved directly to the local server.

Some rent-an-IT-guy is suggesting a VPN for the iPad users to connect, but I don't think that's going to allow them to see the file server and work with files, right?

So, basically, unless they migrate everything to a cloud-based file server, the iPads are SOL, right?

andi*pandi
Feb 6, 2018, 01:06 PM

I have never even tried to get to a work server from any ipad. We did use the citrix app, which emulates/mirrors your PC desktop, but that was clunky. Our Cisco VPN connection might grant access to local servers, but doesn't give any navigation. Might need a different app.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2018, 03:03 PM

I think there are ways an iDevice can do the old in-out over FTP, though obviously moving everything to an FTP share may be out of the question.

Thorzdad  (op)
Feb 6, 2018, 03:13 PM

I didn't know iThings could FTP. But, yeah, FTP isn't going to work. They'll probably end up moving to a cloud-based solution. Which raises another question...Looking at the file server options on my own iPad, I see only Dropbox and iCloud Drive listed as "cloud" locations. Are those really the only options for an iThing to fetch/send files? Are Google Drive or OneDrive not supported options for iThings?

andi*pandi
Feb 6, 2018, 03:19 PM

I've been prompted to install google drive, by the youtube website.

andi*pandi
Feb 6, 2018, 03:29 PM

use cisco anyconnect to connect to vpn.
use microsoft authenticator to prove yes, I am authorized to do so.
then... hmm.
testing out an app called filebrowsergo. [edit] it works! got to network server with address.
even previews word files and images etc. It is a paid app though, after the free trial.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/file...335493278?mt=8
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Feb 6, 2018 at 03:40 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2018, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I didn't know iThings could FTP.
In case it’s ever necessary...

App Store - FTP Client Pro

Good stuff.

Thorzdad  (op)
Feb 6, 2018, 09:13 PM

Thanks! That looks pretty good. I’ve passed it on to my wife’s coworker.

Forum Links
Forum Rules