Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > wake up from sleep problem fw800 dp1.25

wake up from sleep problem fw800 dp1.25
you_are_right
Feb 27, 2003, 03:17 PM

Does anybody experience wake up from sleep problems with the new mdd pm ?

I am running all the latest software versions, 10.2.4 and the latest firmware.

What i experience is, that when i set the system to sleep for a longer time the applications will unexpectedly quit. - Sometimes it is o.k.

Maybe a problem with my ram - but it passed the long version of the hard ware check.

Maybe a problem with my peripherals - usb peripherals.

Maybe a problem with the battery.

Maybe a problem with the hardware.

Anybody got any ideas.

macbarry
Feb 27, 2003, 03:54 PM

No problems with my brand new FW800 1.25dual yet but i'm running 10.2.3

whokilledkaji
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2003, 09:44 PM

I have had tons of problems with my new 1.25DP Firewire 800 model... (10.2.4 with new firmware)

In the last three days I've had involuntary log outs, crashing iApps, airport issues, waking from sleep issues and I've seen the fancy new kernel panic screen more than once... I am actually pretty unhappy with my system... I've never had this much trouble with a Mac before. Especially not with Jaguar...

Last night I had so many crashes that I decided to scrap the hard drive and restore the software... I decided not to update the firmware and I also didn't install 10.2.4...

Everything seems a little bit better now aside from the Airport. I guess that's because I have a non-Airport Extreme white base station. Hmmm...

I haven't had enough time to fully test my new install, but I definetly think it helped...

Any suggestions, comments? Any help?

Thanks!

JB72
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2003, 10:22 PM

I've had a ton of problems with my dual gig MDD. Mostly panics and sometimes slowdowns after sleep. And odd mouse behavior. It's really pissing me off to the point where I'm going to demand a refund. I can't edit on this CPU(s) unless this gets fixed.

you_are_right  (op)
Mar 2, 2003, 08:13 AM

Seems like i found the problem. My second RAM extension-the one they gave for free when i purchased the machine. After removing it everything seems o.k.---for 2 days now.........

The maker of this free dimm is Winbond. Felt weird already when i installed it.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2003, 10:48 AM

I have had this problem very rarely, as in twice since I got my dual867 in August. I could fix it by unplugging my external firewire drive. Then my drive died completely and when it did, my Mac would never wake up with it connected.

macbarry
Mar 3, 2003, 11:43 AM

I have just experienced this wake from sleep problem for the first time on my week old FW 800 1.25dual running 10.2.3.

I could get no response whatsoever from the keyboard and ultimately had to unplug the machine to restart...

gadster
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2003, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by macbarry:
I have just experienced this wake from sleep problem for the first time on my week old FW 800 1.25dual running 10.2.3.

I could get no response whatsoever from the keyboard and ultimately had to unplug the machine to restart...
You got any 3rd party cards (eg: graphics) in that thing?
e-gads

macbarry
Mar 4, 2003, 10:34 AM

No third party cards. Machine is stock except for one added RAM chip.

you_are_right  (op)
Mar 4, 2003, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by macbarry:
No third party cards. Machine is stock except for one added RAM chip.
O.k. since 4 days after i removed this winbond thing (RAM chip).

Orion27
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2003, 03:26 PM

I have experienced this wake from sleep one
time. I ran permissions disk and haven't had the tick recur. Machine is stock, 256meg
Ram.

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2003, 06:03 PM

I have Corsair XMS 2x 512 in my machine right now. I'm going to move it over to a Shuttle PC I'm putting together as I've ordered a 512 from Crucial for my MDD. I hope it helps, but I think I remember it being unstable even with the stock 256, which I think is Samsung. I really hope I don't have to go through trying to get a replacement MDD from Apple.

you_are_right  (op)
Mar 4, 2003, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by JB72:
I have Corsair XMS 2x 512 in my machine right now. I'm going to move it over to a Shuttle PC I'm putting together as I've ordered a 512 from Crucial for my MDD. I hope it helps, but I think I remember it being unstable even with the stock 256, which I think is Samsung. I really hope I don't have to go through trying to get a replacement MDD from Apple.
The RAM chips i am running right now, since everything is o.k. (knock on wood) are Samsung, as the original is, the 512MB are from Kensington but the chips are made by Samsung.

Funny as is, but the Kensington modules i have i bought from the pc-shop of my mac reseller, when you order a more expensive apple compatible one you�ll get something different and one of them did not work.

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2003, 10:02 PM

OK my 512 Crucial has now replaced my 512 x2 Corsair XMS. Lets see what happens...

Update: We've gone a few hours and one long term wake-from-sleep w/o incident(*knock on wood*.) Let's hope my good furtune continues.
( Last edited by JB72; Mar 5, 2003 at 05:14 AM. )

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2003, 12:21 PM

MacDate Log 3-5-2003:

Today she woke from sleep w/o crash or funkiness. I'm starting to have hope in the new Crucial RAM. The crew is getting hopeful, but inside I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop...

you_are_right  (op)
Mar 8, 2003, 04:30 AM

Now since one week everything is fine, looks like the the dp mdd pm is very picky with the ram modules used.

Forum Links
Forum Rules