Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.1's "integrations" for the worse...

OS 9.1's "integrations" for the worse...
bleen
Senior User
Jan 25, 2001, 02:07 AM

Two things that I noticed that Apple did with 9.1 that is for the worse. For me at least. Apple integrated AppleGuide w/ the Monitors Control panel. I don't use AppleGuide or Help so I would rather have it off and not use RAM. Also Desktop Printer Spooler has been integrated into LaserWriter. ARG!!! I hate having the printer on the desktop It's a waste of space, and one more thing I don't need on my desktop. I enjoy just seeing the Hard Drive, the Trash Can, and any CD that I have in. 9.0.4 I could have those extensions disabled and still print to a laser printer with no problems or open monitors and make whatever change I need without going to help.

Phaedrus
Jan 25, 2001, 02:32 AM

Apple guide is a seperate extension in my version of 9.1...do you mean that with yours the monitor control panel and apple guide extension are somehow linked together? How odd...it seems like a totally arbitrary grouping.

Desktop printer spooler is a seperate extension from Laserwriter 8 on my OS 9.1, too. One can be on without the other. I just disable laserwriter 8 extension since I have no laser printer. Desktop printer spooler can be on or off (although I think it must be on to enable background printing).

Are you using the OS 9.1 version from CD-rom? I'm using the version downloaded in parts.

?

Tominator
Jan 25, 2001, 02:47 AM

Actually he's referring to the fact that the Monitors control panel will not function without Apple Guide installed.

Sorry about your cluttered desktop. Guess you'll just have to get used to it.

Phaedrus
Jan 25, 2001, 02:50 AM

Oh...guess I don't know what I'm talking about.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2001, 04:00 AM

This apple guide dependcy has been around since at least 8.5 FYI

bleen  (op)
Senior User
Jan 26, 2001, 03:43 AM

I've been able to have Apple Guide off up till 9.1. and everything worked perfectly. Now to get into monitors control panel I need it on.

I can't wait till OS X when nothing is on the desktop. Except for the dock.... but I'm not going to go there.

Cipher13
Jan 26, 2001, 04:06 AM

Do the monitor control strip modules still function properly? And does the ColourSync calibration tool function properly?
If so, what need is there for the Monitors control panel?

Cipher13

Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2001, 09:44 AM

Not to mention the issue: what is to gain by disabling Apple Guide. I found NO change in memory used with AG on or off .

(that's with 9.0.4 - I'm still watching while YOU guys debug 9.1 for me
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

Forum Links
Forum Rules