Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disk Utility Question

Disk Utility Question
zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2003, 11:24 AM

Hello, since I lost my original discs of Jaguar to my daughter getting at them and scratching them, I have been making copies of all my original discs and storing them using the Disk Utility. I make images and then burn them. I made one image, the size is roughly 640MB, but when I try to write it on a 700MB disc, the disk utilitiy says the CD does not have enough free space. I am using new CDs, and have tried Imation and Maxell CD-R's but still no go. Is there anyway around this?
Thanks

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2003, 11:37 AM

Can you compress the image down any further...say 600MB?

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2003, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Can you compress the image down any further...say 600MB?
How do you compress the image?

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2003, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by zeebe:
How do you compress the image?
You can stuff the file...or in Panther...you can ZIP/Archive the file.

Also, when creating the Disk Image you can choose for it to compress the image....

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2003, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
You can stuff the file...or in Panther...you can ZIP/Archive the file.

Also, when creating the Disk Image you can choose for it to compress the image....
Well, I want to be able to use the disc if I need it and do not want to unstuff it to do that, so that is out of the question. I just find it hard to understnad why it won't copy.
Thanks though gorickey

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2003, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by zeebe:
Well, I want to be able to use the disc if I need it and do not want to unstuff it to do that, so that is out of the question. I just find it hard to understnad why it won't copy.
Thanks though gorickey
Yeah, it's weird...I've seen some burning applications not make full use of the CD size...so it's a 700 MB CD, it'll only recognize 640 MB of it as writable...therefore, you would need (on the safe side) to make your CD even smaller then 640 MB (say roughly 620 MB) to burn without erroring out....

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2003, 02:54 PM

Well, I finally got it to work. I actually brought it over to a friends over lunch and used Toast to copy it.

I have to look into buying toast but it will have to wait until after Christmas.
Thanks again gorickey

Forum Links
Forum Rules