Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > -36 error when xfering from DVD

-36 error when xfering from DVD
T Reisig
Mar 15, 2006, 05:06 PM

I've been running into this error (-36) when I'm copying files from DVD to a connected Firewire drive. I'll have files disappear before my eyes from the DVD as well. If I put the same DVD and attatched FW drive on another mac all works fine. If I get the error on a specific file, I can restart the computer and the same file will work.

Problem computer:Macmini 1.25Ghz OS 10.4.2
Working Computerual 1.4ghz MDD G4 OS 10.4.2

Any ideas?

Tim

gambo
Mar 15, 2006, 11:38 PM

Try using MacTheRipper to extract the files off the DVD

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2006, 12:24 AM

I'm seeing the same type of thing trying to move files to and from my firewire drives. I've got about 40 gigs of content I'd like to rearrange, but they keep croaking with -36 errors and dismounting. One of them was failing to mount, and Disk Utility reported that the underlying task failed when I tried to Repair it. So I started copies from the other FW disk to the internal, and it spontaneiously unmounted with a -36.

Then drive # 1 magically reappeared. The one that DiskUtility couldn't repair. Seems to be intact....

But something's not right.

17" Duo Core iMac, 1.5 gig RAM.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Forum Links
Forum Rules