Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Obama wins election

Obama wins election
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 11:22 AM

1. In order to win the election, all Barack Obama needs are the Kerry states, plus Colorado, Iowa and New Mexico. That adds up to 273 electoral votes.

2. Obama leads by at least 9.5% in every Kerry state and Iowa, according to both Pollster.com and Real Clear Politics. Also, my own numbers concur with those calculations.

3. This means that in order to win the election, all Obama has to do is hold onto states where he leads by 9.5% or more, and win both Colorado and New Mexico. These are both states where more than half of all voters will cast their ballots before Election Day (source). In other words, the elections in Colorado and New Mexico are already almost over, not just beginning. And these are the only two states he needs to win, other than the ones where he leads by double-digits.

4. In Colorado, about 60% of the vote is already in. According to the crosstabs of the three most recent polls in the state, Obama leads early voters by 15% (Rasmussen), 18% (Marist) and 17% (PPP). Even in the best case scenario for McCain, where he only trails by 15% among those who have already voted and only 55% of the vote is in, he still needs to win the remaining voters by 18.4% in order to eek out the state. And that is the best-case scenario. The worst case scenario for McCain--65% of the vote in and an 18% deficit among early voters--is that he needs to win the remaining voters by 33.5% in order to win the election.

5. That leaves New Mexico. In 2004, New Mexico had an even higher rate of early voting than Colorado (50.6% to 47.9%). Further, all polling aggregation sites show Obama's lead to be larger in New Mexico than in Colorado. While the recent dearth of polling in the Land of Enchantment means there are no early voting crosstabs, those two facts suggest the situation is even worse for McCain in New Mexico than in Colorado. At the very least, it isn't much better. Update: A new poll from PPP in New Mexico indicates that 56% of the vote is in, and Obama leads 64%-36% among those voters. If that is accurate, McCain would have to win the remaining voters by 35.7%.

So, unless Obama one of the following occurs:

* Obama blows a double-digit lead in either Iowa or one Kerry state
* McCain wins the minority of remaining voters in either Colorado or New Mexico by at least 20%

Then the election is over and Obama has won no matter what happens anywhere else.
http://www.openleft.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=9555

Early voting results:

http://elections.gmu.edu/early_vote_2008.html

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 11:24 AM

These threads are bad enough without non-Americans posting them...

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 11:25 AM

What do you think? Legitimacy to the argument?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 11:26 AM

I think wait a couple days and stop counting your ****ing chickens.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 11:33 AM

I'm not necessarily counting them, I'm just posting this to see whether the argument is disputable, and on what basis?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 11:37 AM

The argument is meaningless, and the thread title is sensationalistic.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 11:37 AM

One other scenario I can see for this being wrong is people lying on their exit polls on purpose...

I don't know if people are collectively that smart, but it's a possibility.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
The argument is meaningless, and the thread title is sensationalistic.
How so? What difference is there in calling the state when 60% of the vote is in based using exit polls, as opposed to doing the same thing on election day before any vote is actually counted? The difference is all of the remaining voters, but at what point does the deficit become so great that the state can be safely called?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
One other scenario I can see for this being wrong is people lying on their exit polls on purpose...

I don't know if people are collectively that smart, but it's a possibility.
There's two things to consider: 2004 and the Bradley Effect. That's enough to make this entire presumption preposterous.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 11:45 AM

There's two things to consider: 2004 and the Bradley Effect. That's enough to make this entire presumption preposterous.
What does 2004 have to do with it? The notion that polls unanimously showed a Kerry victory is a complete myth. I mean, some did, but RCP didn't, nor did many others... As far as the Bradley Effect, do you really think that race will be that big of an issue? It wasn't with the Democratic primaries. The Bradley Effect will have to be HUGE to counteract a lead of over 9.5% in the Kerry states plus Iowa, and then around 6% or so in NM/CO.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 11:46 AM

I think the popular vote will be much closer than Obama's people can imagine (within 2%). But, he'll still win the electoral college in a landslide.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 11:48 AM

What's the point besson? What is to be gained from this thread?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 11:49 AM

According to fivethirtyeight.com there is only a 4.6% chance of McCain winning the popular vote based on all possible scenarios, although I'm not sure how that is calculated.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 11:51 AM

What's the point besson? What is to be gained from this thread?
If you've become a poll nut like me, it will be interesting to see if this mathematically does turn out to be true is all, and how soon other sources make the same determination... I'm not calling for some sort of victory lap.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 11:52 AM

What does 2004 have to do with it? The notion that polls unanimously showed a Kerry victory is a complete myth. I mean, some did, but RCP didn't, nor did many others...
No one said unanimously.

As far as the Bradley Effect, do you really think that race will be that big of an issue? It wasn't with the Democratic primaries. The Bradley Effect will have to be HUGE to counteract a lead of over 9.5% in the Kerry states plus Iowa, and then around 6% or so in NM/CO.
There's a big difference between party primaries and open elections.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 11:55 AM

If you've become a poll nut like me, it will be interesting to see if this mathematically does turn out to be true is all, and how soon other sources make the same determination... I'm not calling for some sort of victory lap.
Then this probably should have gone in the Electoral prediction thread, like many other similar posts I've seen.

But thanks for the sensationalistic thread title. I'm sure you'd be equally accepting of it if some conservative posted the same thing if situations were reversed. "I mean what's the point? I mean, sure, this could be right, but we won't really know until the election ends and the polls are in. Trying to predict the outcome until then is pointless because so many variables could change between now and then."

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 11:56 AM

No one said unanimously.

There's a big difference between party primaries and open elections.

True. I definitely don't think that this is complete enough of a picture to credibly call the race this early, but it looks like what it does tell us is where to place bets. We knew where to place bets prior, but the added ingredient is some actual election data.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 11:57 AM

Who needs to place bets? Why?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 11:59 AM

Then this probably should have gone in the Electoral prediction thread, like many other similar posts I've seen.

But thanks for the sensationalistic thread title. I'm sure you'd be equally accepting of it if some conservative posted the same thing if situations were reversed. "I mean what's the point? I mean, sure, this could be right, but we won't really know until the election ends and the polls are in. Trying to predict the outcome until then is pointless because so many variables could change between now and then."
I think that what it does show is that once we start to see actual election day exit polls start trickling in (and I'm assuming they are tabulated somewhere as they come in) and they look similar to these early polling results, it will be fairly easy to call these respective states before any votes are actually counted.

What I don't know is how wildly different early polling and election day results have been and will be this year.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 11:59 AM

...Annnnnnd Bess tempts fate.

Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 12:00 PM

Who needs to place bets? Why?
Have you heard of Intrade?

http://www.intrade.com/jsp/intrade/t...elConID=409933

I don't know exactly how useful this data is, but it is some sort of metric that many pollsters use.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 12:01 PM

I think that what it does show is that once we start to see actual election day exit polls start trickling in (and I'm assuming they are tabulated somewhere as they come in) and they look similar to these early polling results, it will be fairly easy to call these respective states before any votes are actually counted.
Is this important for some reason? Is it even ethically responsible to do so?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 12:02 PM

Dakar: besides, what is "the point" of any other electoral college/popular vote prediction?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
The best part is he can't even vote in the election.

Have you heard of Intrade?
You'll have to explain what exactly that site does.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 12:04 PM

Is this important for some reason? Is it even ethically responsible to do so?
It has become the standard. Have you not noticed that many states have been called before any actual votes are counted in these past elections?

Geez, if you aren't into predictions, cool, but I don't see how this discussion is vastly different from any other prediction/poll type thread. Your best argument might be that this thread belongs in the EC Prediction thread, but I thought that throwing in actual data into the mix was interesting enough to warrant a thread of its own. Maybe I was wrong, but not a big deal, is it?

zerostar
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2008, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the article. I will say here in FL we have seen very low youth turnout right now. There was a spike the first few days and now it is down to normal levels.

If Obama intends to win FL that will be a major thing to overcome I think... are they all waiting for Tuesday? I don't know....

Now, I will argue he doesn't even need FL, and I already posted my EV predictions in the other thread.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 12:05 PM

Dakar: besides, what is "the point" of any other electoral college/popular vote prediction?
In the here and now, subject matter for talking heads to fill time and get ratings leading to advertising revenue for the cable news networks. In the future, to tie events during the campaigns and their effects to the polls, leading to more effective campaign strategies.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
You think 100 or 1,000 posts saying OBAMA WINS will do something to the cosmic shift of the universe to make it not true? If so I am off the post the opposite....

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 12:07 PM

You'll have to explain what exactly that site does.

It basically comes up with stock-like candidate "share" values based on public opinion and user feedback. I've never placed a "bet", or whatever they call them there, but you'll see that the Intrade values are displayed prominently on the RCP site. I suppose it will be interesting to see how accurate they'll be.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 12:08 PM

It has become the standard. Have you not noticed that many states have been called before any actual votes are counted in these past elections?
It's standard to call it after polls close. Not 4 days before polls open.

Geez, if you aren't into predictions, cool, but I don't see how this discussion is vastly different from any other prediction/poll type thread.
Neither do I, which is why I'm asking why this necessitated it's own thread with sensationalistic title.

Your best argument might be that this thread belongs in the EC Prediction thread, but I thought that throwing in actual data into the mix was interesting enough to warrant a thread of its own. Maybe I was wrong, but not a big deal, is it?
Claiming that a presidential election has already been decided is not a big deal?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 12:09 PM

It basically comes up with stock-like candidate "share" values based on public opinion and user feedback. I've never placed a "bet", or whatever they call them there, but you'll see that the Intrade values are displayed prominently on the RCP site. I suppose it will be interesting to see how accurate they'll be.
Does this deal with real money, or is it more internet masturbation?

zerostar
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2008, 12:10 PM

Does this deal with real money, or is it more internet masturbation?
Real dollars are being gambled, millions.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 12:11 PM

In the here and now, subject matter for talking heads to fill time and get ratings leading to advertising revenue for the cable news networks. In the future, to tie events during the campaigns and their effects to the polls, leading to more effective campaign strategies.
Hey, I'm new to being a poll nut. If all of this stuff turns up being completely misleading, the next time around I will pretty much ignore it.

It's not like I'm even *that* attached to the outcome with my poll obsession. I mean, I'm not out there going door to door and being a part of that whole GOTV thing. I'm not waving pom poms or doing all of the sorts of things that MoveOn wants their readers to do. In fact, I haven't done a single thing - including place a donation. What I'm interested in is the overall process and the inexact science of making predictions from a purely analytical perspective.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 12:12 PM

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 12:14 PM

The polls are open now, recording early voting exit polls.

Neither do I, which is why I'm asking why this necessitated it's own thread with sensationalistic title.
If it was renamed to "dude makes argument that states that Obama has won election", would you have no problem with this thread?

Claiming that a presidential election has already been decided is not a big deal?
It depends on what sources you trust. Every major pundit and journalistic source will call the election at different times with different amounts of conservatism in their prediction. I would say that it doesn't really start to matter until one of the more conservative sources has made their determination and others follow suit.

(and by "conservative" I don't mean the Republican party backers)

olePigeon
Clinically Insane

I think wait a couple days and stop counting your ****ing chickens.
Your obsenity was strangely appropriate in and out of context.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
Real dollars are being gambled, millions.
So have they paid out to all the people who bet on Obama, or are they, too waiting for Election Day?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 12:16 PM

Dakar: have you ever tried to obtain information about a movie, TV show, or Apple product before it came out? This is pretty much the same sort of thing, no?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 12:18 PM

Obama wins election
I'm going as a whore for Halloween!

Oh, wait, that was YOU. Nevermind.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 12:18 PM

How so? What difference is there in calling the state when 60% of the vote is in based using exit polls, as opposed to doing the same thing on election day before any vote is actually counted? The difference is all of the remaining voters, but at what point does the deficit become so great that the state can be safely called?
The elephant in the room that nobody's talking about is that there's a LOT of people who won't vote for a black man, regardless of political sympathies.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Not even %s? Anyway, everyone knows kids are scared of old people.

The polls are open now, recording early voting exit polls.
How does that work exactly?

If it was renamed to "dude makes argument that states that Obama has won election", would you have no problem with this thread?
At the very least I'd stop making fun of the awful thread title. I still think it's fairly worthless outside of context with other poll predictions.

It depends on what sources you trust.
Give me a break. Claiming an election is already decided is a big deal.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 12:25 PM

Dakar: have you ever tried to obtain information about a movie, TV show, or Apple product before it came out? This is pretty much the same sort of thing, no?
Obtaining information and making bold definitive statements with possible unforseen consequences are two different things. I haven't condemned polling for existing.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2008, 12:28 PM

Obtaining information and making bold definitive statements with possible unforseen consequences are two different things..
The only consequence I can see is complacency that one party has already won so why bother to vote? But I doubt the 20-30 people who see this will be swayed by it, I just don't see what the big deal is.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
The only consequence I can see is complacency that one party has already won so why bother to vote? But I doubt the 20-30 people who see this will be swayed by it, I just don't see what the big deal is.
It's not the concrete consequences of this thread that bother me, so much as the attitude behind it. I think I've been clear and consistent on that so far.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2008, 01:10 PM

It's not the concrete consequences of this thread that bother me, so much as the attitude behind it. I think I've been clear and consistent on that so far.
I can understand that, but again, I see it as bad-on-them kind of attitude. Obama wining is not a foregone conclusion, yes the polls are really good for him and it looks like he will with the EV. but as he said, don't get excited too early!

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I'm going as a whore for Halloween!

Oh, wait, that was YOU. Nevermind.

-t

Yeah, that was me, that's true.

The Crook
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2008, 02:13 PM

I'll back up besson on this one.

If the election were held today, then Obama victory. Whether McCain can make up the ground among likely voters in just a few days is the question. The answer to that question is that most likely he cannot. Obama victory!

Crooked Member of the MacNN Atheist Clique.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2008, 03:54 PM

Not in a freakin' Mac forum. Get a grip.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Not in a freakin' Mac forum. Get a grip.
Look past besson's thread title. To the people who want to say its been wrapped up days before election.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 04:01 PM

It was a blog post, the one I provided the URL for. The blogger is basically just preaching to the choir, and I think made things clear that his post is his projection, and not an official organization's or media outlet's opinion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules