Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > help! what happened??

help! what happened??
jmagic
Oct 24, 2003, 12:34 PM

i have an ibook 900, and the computer froze up, and asked me to restart or shutdown

i turned the computer off, and when i was trying to turn it back on, it wouldnt come back on!!

the screen was blank.

i kept trying to turn it on for about 5 minutes, and nothing. then i just sat there depressed, and started cleaning my dusty screen.

i tried again, and it worked, and i am on it now. anybody know why this happened, and if it will come back. i am scared to close my computer right now to see.

somebody please help!!
ibook 900 12.1" combo 640mb =)
powerbook 1.33 15" 768mb =P

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by jmagic:
i have an ibook 900, and the computer froze up, and asked me to restart or shutdown

i turned the computer off, and when i was trying to turn it back on, it wouldnt come back on!!

the screen was blank.

i kept trying to turn it on for about 5 minutes, and nothing. then i just sat there depressed, and started cleaning my dusty screen.

i tried again, and it worked, and i am on it now. anybody know why this happened, and if it will come back. i am scared to close my computer right now to see.

somebody please help!!
was there a point where the ibook, when booting, wouldnt get past the first startup screen? was there a weird noise, like not the normal startup chime?

jmagic  (op)
Oct 24, 2003, 12:39 PM

the screeen was just black, i heard it start to start up, but im not sure what it was doing. i heard the hard drive spin, then sounded like it died, but the screen never showed anything

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2003, 12:42 PM

the screeen was just black, i heard it start to start up, but im not sure what it was doing. i heard the hard drive spin, then sounded like it died, but the screen never showed anything
what os? what where you doing before it froze?

try repair the permissions, this cant hurt..

jmagic  (op)
Oct 24, 2003, 12:44 PM

downloading
will run cocktail now

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2003, 12:48 PM

Happened to me once (exactly the same as you), 1 week ago. I had only battery power and unplugged.

I took off the battery, plugged it and started very very slowly.. I heard the noise "starting to start -- i know what you mean".. then after 4 seconds more less the gray screen came by. Haven't had a problem again of that sort.

One thing to note is that 10.2.8 screwed my battery and I think that is where this problem came from. But I'm just infering.

ferg
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2004, 09:58 PM

It would seem my girlfriend's iBook 700 G3 is having these same symptoms all of a sudden, I am not there to examine, any solution to this?

Thanks.

Preciousss
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2004, 02:51 AM

*bump*

Same thing over here with my boyfriend's computer. I think it's a 700MHz G3, 10.2.8, full RAM, no indication of any problems preceding this.

I could've sworn the sleep light was on when I opened the lid, but can't recall for certain. Held the power button down to start it. Nothing. Held it down for a few seconds longer since we assumed it was flipping out and we needed to do a hard shutdown.

Pressed the Power button again and the startup chime came on. But screen remained blank, not even gray. No sound from the hard disk (whirring or clicking-nada).

Tried this 2 more times with the same results. Got the CD tray open with a good old paperclip. Stuck in a disc with DiskWarrior made with BootCD. Restarted again.

Same thing. Could hear the the HD whir briefly. The CD drive wasn't spinning at all (yes, we held down the C button).

Tried 2 more times without a CD inserted and nothing. Start up chime every time though. I've never heard of this. We can't run any diagnostics (that I can think of) since we can't even get to it. I'm typing this on my PowerBook and we thought of starting the iBook up in Target disk mode. But we need a cable first. Even then, I'm not sure what to look for if we get this to work.

Any suggestions for target disk mode, or any other solutions?

Thanks. This is so weird.

=====

Update!

After I posted this, we unplugged, took out the battery for 30 seconds, and it worked again.

Since then, we reset the PMU, ran the hardware test CD (no problems), used DiskWarrior, repaired permissions blahblahblah.

I got a call that after adjusting the monitor, the screen started flickering and other stuff. I think it's a monitor cord (or something) getting pinched in the hinge. We're gonna try to take it to a Genius to fix (hopefully for free since it's out of warranty).

Do they do this kind of thing for free at the Apple Store Genius Bar?
( Last edited by Preciousss; Jul 19, 2004 at 12:35 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules