Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Joe Biden is a big f***ing deal!

Joe Biden is a big f***ing deal!
Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2013, 10:23 AM

Have you guys noticed that whenever there's one of these congressionally-mandated crises, it's always Biden who pulls us out of it? I'm not sure of Obama is playing Good Cop / Bad Cop on purpose, or if he really is that hard to make a deal with. All I know is that whenever the wheels of government grind to a halt, someone calls Joe, and magically stuff gets done. This time it seems like McConnell wanted no part of Reid, and deliberately asked to negotiate with Biden instead. The result was a compromise which 89 Senators voted for early this morning. In this climate, getting that many people from both parties to get on board is a major accomplishment.

Jonah Goldberg is calling it "The First Day of the Biden Presidency". I'm not sure if I would go that far, but now that Hillary's health is in question, Biden has to have the inside track to the 2016 nomination now (F-bombs and all), and this good press won't hurt his chances any, no matter what the House does with his deal.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2013, 12:06 PM

They got the Democratic controlled Senate to agree on a plan... a plan that has no support from the House majority leadership. Well gee Joe you've almost solved half the problem!

And they only managed that by not resolving the debt ceiling, which will become critical in 2 months.

I don't see this as a measure of success for anyone involved, including the American taxpayer or American resident.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2013, 12:21 PM

Joe "f*cking" Biden has no deal.

Bill is going back to Senate with amendments.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-01-01/citis-worst-case-scenario-coming-true-house-amend-bill-send-back-senate

Besides, what kind of a f*cking "deal" was this anyways ?

What is generally known is that the Senate bill boils down to the following:
$620 billion in tax hikes over the next decade offset by $15 billion in spending cuts now.
Seriously, WTF ? Why even bother ?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-01-01/new-definition-rich-620-billion-tax-hike-offset-15-billion-spending-cuts-and-much-mo

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2013, 01:30 PM

"BACHUS SAYS HOUSE MAY SEND BILL BACK WITH SPENDING CUTS ADDED"

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Seriously, WTF ? Why even bother ?
I think this chart better captures the "Why even bother?" sentiment:

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2013, 02:21 PM

Yup...Joe fsk'd this one up as usual. Heck, the liberal papers even think they lost some leverage. I'm curious why the Democrats want to "stick it to the wealthy" when that doesn't even come close to the problem. The House will send the bill back with $1T+ in spending cuts and we'll be in gridlock again. Can't give out money you don't have...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2013, 03:28 PM

Who, this "deal" is even worse than everyone thought.

CBO Estimates "Obama Tax Cut" To Add $4 Trillion To Deficit Over Next Decade
Seriously,

WTF ???!?!?!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-01-01/cbo-estimates-obama-tax-cuts-add-4-trillion-deficit-over-next-decade

-t

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2013, 03:57 PM

And so ends the American financial system. Buy your gold now! We'll be back on that standard in the next decade or two.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2013, 04:32 PM

Accumulating bullion since 2009.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2013, 04:45 PM

Latest is the House Republicans folded and will vote for the "deal".

What a f*cking farce.

Republicans declined a 10-1 offer (cuts vs. tax increase) presented last year, and now they accept 1-4 cuts vs. tax increase ?
Worst negotiators evar. What a bunch of f*cktards.

I'll repeat my call for nuking DC and start over. Under the current leadership of ass-clowns from both sides of the aisle, this country is toast.

-t

Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2013, 05:38 PM

In hindsight, of course, they would have been better off taking that deal back then. But they all thought Obama would be gone, and their man would be in the White House to sign off on their deals.

My point is that the Senate leaders weren't making any progress at all until Mitch started talking to Joe. Makes you wonder how much of an asshole Harry Reid really is, now, doesn't it? It seems like whenever Mitch gets fed up with Harry, he calls Joe.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2013, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Latest is the House Republicans folded and will vote for the "deal".
What a f*cking farce.
Republicans declined a 10-1 offer (cuts vs. tax increase) presented last year, and now they accept 1-4 cuts vs. tax increase ?
You missed a digit, the deal is 1:41 cuts:taxes, not 1:4.

But it doesn't matter. It's a solution to 5% of the problem.

Sequestration is now deferred to coincide with the debt ceiling becoming critical March 1. And the blogosphere is already concerned that taxes are off the table for that discussion since they've already been "dealt with". Defense will certainly see spending cuts, but it's only a fifth of the budget; you could zero it out and it wouldn't solve the problem. That means entitlement cuts/reform.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2013, 08:33 PM

Bill passed the house.

Reset your countdown timers for 58 days.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2013, 09:09 PM

What's up with the weird NASCAR subsidies and other weird stuff in this bill? Who put that shit in?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2013, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
What's up with the weird NASCAR subsidies and other weird stuff in this bill? Who put that shit in?
Nothing weird about it - that's how you get bills passed. You can buy votes on big issues with relatively small subsidies.

Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2013, 07:50 AM

Good to see that even with the GOP's insistence that Spending Is The Problem, a little well-timed pork can go a long way. Oink oink!

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2013, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
And so ends the American financial system. Buy your gold now! We'll be back on that standard in the next decade or two.
Gold? Buy shotguns now to protect your stuff from the roving gangs of hoodlums...and obligatory zombies.

Forum Links
Forum Rules