Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > A way to mute sound when restarting?

A way to mute sound when restarting?
Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2004, 11:08 AM

Hi,

Is there a way to mute the sound when restarting my Mac? you know that pressing the mute button on the keyboard eliminates the sound on restart. Is there a chance that an Applescript or program exists that will mute the sound when the restart command is sent to the system ? I often forget you see. And it's soooo freaking loud.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

zachs
Mac Elite
May 23, 2004, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
Hi,

Is there a way to mute the sound when restarting my Mac? you know that pressing the mute button on the keyboard eliminates the sound on restart. Is there a chance that an Applescript or program exists that will mute the sound when the restart command is sent to the system ? I often forget you see. And it's soooo freaking loud.
One of these apps should do the trick.

Fonzie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2004, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
One of these apps should do the trick.
If only I had searched before posting. d'oh! Thank you. I really am a NOOB considering my post count and having a mac for a year LOL
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

MartiNZ
Senior User
May 24, 2004, 01:38 AM

Heh, live and learn .

Anyway, what I've been doing at work with my iBook recently is just plugging in headphones before starting up - that makes quite a difference!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2004, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by MartiNZ:
Heh, live and learn .

Anyway, what I've been doing at work with my iBook recently is just plugging in headphones before starting up - that makes quite a difference!
Exactly!, here too :-D btw, I can not believe how better the start up chime sounds even with my inexpensive Philips headphoes / earphones.

MartiNZ
Senior User
May 24, 2004, 10:37 PM

Yeah, such proximity to the ears just makes it musical ! But I think it's even better coming really loud from a decent pair of speakers. I've heard some pretty amazing volume coming out of whatever was connected to this iMac in an office at uni! It really makes you stand up and take notice, which is exactly what it should do!

Forum Links
Forum Rules