Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to Rezise Images in iPhoto or Preview???

How to Rezise Images in iPhoto or Preview???
frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2007, 08:31 PM

Hey, I have been using a mac now for a little less than a year. Oddly enough I have never done photo editing on the system.

i am trying to resize images in iPhoto or Preview. I have no idea which is a better program so I guess if ya'll could help me out by telling me what you think that would also be nice.

I am used to using Photoshop in Windows and it is very simple to resize the image. I want to determine the canvas/image size of a certain picture and "free transform" my other pictures to that size on my mac.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2007, 08:42 PM

You can not resize in Preview. In iPhoto you resize by selecting File->Export->Files and then selecting the maximum dimensions. You can also use Automator to do the same.

Of course Photoshop is also available for Mac. GraphicConverter would be another option for resizing images.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2007, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
You can not resize in Preview. In iPhoto you resize by selecting File->Export->Files and then selecting the maximum dimensions. You can also use Automator to do the same.

Of course Photoshop is also available for Mac. GraphicConverter would be another option for resizing images.
Thanks I will try it and let you know.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 10:15 PM

You can use ChocoFlop - Live! Image and Photo Editing for Mac OS X to do this for free, and as a very lightweight photoshop replacement. If you do it a lot I would look into creating an Automator action.

lorenzo
Aug 11, 2007, 07:58 AM

I'm using ImageWell for that (ImageWell, the Free and Lean Image Editor)
makes scaling and cropping very quick, and allows to save them on the disk or to a net account with the same ease.
Pretty nice little app.

Lorenzo

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2007, 06:22 PM

It really should be in Preview. They have it part way there with a cropping tool and I am sure the routines are inbuilt in Core Graphics.

Irritatingly you are able to resave graphics into other formats but not to pdfs which is really strange seeing as that is also in Core Graphics.

Another straight forward and useful function would be to combine multiple images/pdfs and be able to export them from Preview as a Quicktime slideshow or multi-page pdf.

Apple is not into either efficiency nor productivity since OSX, just flim flam and back flips. Everything seems to be a simple expression of Steve Jobs' whims.
I look forward to a future where the present will be in the past.

Forum Links
Forum Rules