Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Please HELP...iChat Agent is driving me up the wall!

Please HELP...iChat Agent is driving me up the wall!
macbear85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2009, 03:11 PM

Hi Mac Friendlies!

I recently changed the pw for my Macbook, forgot it, and reset it using the disc that came with my computer. Unfortunately now every time I use iChat I receive these air messages "Enter iChat Agent login pw". I click cancel about 5-6 times until the air message to enter my user name and pw for iChat pops up. Then voila! iChat works.

I've tried my computer's pw, the iChat pw, even the pw for my wifi; none work. What is this iChat Agent login? How do I make it go away?

Please help

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2009, 06:18 PM

The first place I would look is the Keychain (/Applications/Utilities/Keychain). Search for whatever service you connect to (AIM, Jabber, etc.) Delete the entry from the Keychain and see if that helps. You might also try just removing the account in iChat and recreating it.
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

macbear85  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2009, 09:56 PM

Neither worked. It still asks for my aol login, I type it and then the "iChat Agent wants to use the login keychain" pops up again continuously, I don't know the pw, any other suggestion to fix this?

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2009, 08:40 AM

I believe the problem is that the Keychain has encoded the old Keychain items with the old password. Since your new password differs from the old one, Keychain asks you for the password you used to encrypt that data. There is an Apple support thread about this and the steps there might help you.
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

macbear85  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2009, 12:20 PM

Thank you

macbear85  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2009, 04:03 PM

This worked for me, thank you for posting the support thread link.

Mac OS X: Keychain Access asks for keychain "login" after changing login password

Forum Links
Forum Rules