Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Apple Mail and Gmail IMAP

Apple Mail and Gmail IMAP
JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2009, 03:59 AM

So I just did a clean install of 10.5 the other day and am having massive issues getting mail to play nice. No amount of googling is helping.

Heres my deal. I have a .Mac account and two gmail account that I use between my computer and my iPhone.

I set up gmail IMAP for my two accounts and suddenly gmail is downloading 5 years worth of emails (some 6 thousand). Once they all download I can't delete them from Mail.app. At all.

I've checked my permissions. I've tried doing the Cut command.

Should I just set up pop on both my iPhone and my computer? Would that make life a whole lot easier? If I do that, will all the new emails go to both my computer and my iPhone? Will google still keep a copy on its server?

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2009, 05:56 AM

Sigh... my in box has 7500 emails with 4400 unread. No matter what I do I can't delete anything. Sigh...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2009, 02:50 PM

I don't understand. Do you have 7000 emails in your gmail inbox (when you use the web interface)? If not, how many do you have and how many are unread? Did you mess with the IMAP path?

POP would be a nightmare.

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2009, 02:48 AM

Hmmm... in the past all my emails in gmail just stayed in my "In Box" in the web interface. Even when I deleted them from Mail.app. So I guess until yesterday I did have some 7,000 emails, all read by the way, in my web interface 'In Box'.

I did not mess with any IMAP paths or settings.

I had IMAP set up before, and its weird that things are changing now. Maybe I'm just unlucky over all. At least now, for some reason, I was able to get all the 7,000 emails in my Mail.app 'In Box' to go away. No idea why they wouldn't the other night.

Forum Links
Forum Rules