Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > iTunes5 Mockup

iTunes5 Mockup
Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2004, 02:27 PM

Hey,

I was browsing a danish mac news site when I found this :
***removed due to tasteless use of the [url] feature***

It was made by someone who is taking his degree in graphics art.

I hope this is the right forum.
( Last edited by Mac Guru; Apr 17, 2004 at 06:05 PM. )
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2004, 02:36 PM

Um, Big! As in, too cumbersome. I do like some aspects of it, namely the way the playlists can be hidden, and how all the controls are there, but it needs a lot more refinement.
But yeah, too big. Waaay too big.

Otherwise, great find Allan.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

phillryu
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 02:36 PM

Is that a joke?

A) Who wants their desktop covered awkwardly with a music player? Ok, maybe some people. but..

B) Why the super short playlist list with no scrollbar? Or the burn button that takes up about a quarter of your screen?

C) I want a round volume adjuster! So I can adjust my volume with roundabout motions!

This whole mockup strikes me as silly. Was it released April 1st?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

u2zoo
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2004, 02:40 PM

phillyru you joke but look at the **** Apple makes us put up with sometimes. While I don't think they'd make anything *that* large... I wouldn't put it past them to get rid of the dock altogether and force us to do our application switching inside of iTunes.. because everyone has their iPod and iTunes right? ;-)

I'll just use the dial wheel on my iPod to get back to playing Halo now.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2004, 02:43 PM

Cool, but unusable.

And his website is even more cumbersome than that interface.

Fonzie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2004, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Is that a joke?

A) Who wants their desktop covered awkwardly with a music player? Ok, maybe some people. but..

B) Why the super short playlist list with no scrollbar? Or the burn button that takes up about a quarter of your screen?

C) I want a round volume adjuster! So I can adjust my volume with roundabout motions!

This whole mockup strikes me as silly. Was it released April 1st?
Remember, this is just a mockup. A graphics artist look at what it might look like. nothing more than that He is trying to refine it.

Don't jump the gun like that Phill

It may be good as a sort of jukebox. like the Windows Media Player has this interface that fits the whole screen with a nice background and some buttons( can't remember the name right now)

It's just for fun.

@Stephanie, thank you. I found it as being something taht people might appreciate seeing. Just to see something different than new icon releases and themes.

carry on....

Fonzie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2004, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by rhythmicmoose:
Cool, but unusable.

And his website is even more cumbersome than that interface.
Who's website? The one it's hosted on or the man who made this ?

Komisar
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 03:04 PM

i agree with phillryu, that is the most digusting think i have ever seen, it is a too big, and b so confusing with the layout... i am 100% sure that, that is not what itunes5 will look like... wow whoever took the time to make that is a big loser.... i hope their carcus rotts in the desert sun : )

phillryu
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 03:06 PM

Ok, it's not super ugly or anything, just unusable. That's all. Hehe

Fonzie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2004, 03:10 PM

some of you are obviously NOT ready for anything different. Something that does not look like your average iTunes interface or OSX app's interface.

Where is your feeling for this kind of thing ?

I'm not saying it's useful but you have to appreciate someone doing these kind of things !?

Just tell me and i'll remove the image. IF it's that awful to look at.

Fonzie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2004, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
i agree with phillryu, that is the most digusting think i have ever seen, it is a too big, and b so confusing with the layout... i am 100% sure that, that is not what itunes5 will look like... wow whoever took the time to make that is a big loser.... i hope their carcus rotts in the desert sun : )
Who's the big loser here? You for being so narrowminded ? OR the one who actually made some graphics and has a vision ? NO ONE is saying that this IS what iTunes5 is going to look like. Did ANYONE of you who critize the image READ the first post ??? IS IT MADE BY A GRAPHICS ARTIST WHO IS TAKING HIS DEGREE .

fireside
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2004, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
some of you are obviously NOT ready for anything different. Something that does not look like your average iTunes interface or OSX app's interface.

Where is your feeling for this kind of thing ?

I'm not saying it's useful but you have to appreciate someone doing these kind of things !?

Just tell me and i'll remove the image. IF it's that awful to look at.
you're totally right. no of us are ready for something that looks like utter crap. the entire thing takes up ~1/3 of the screen. i don't care if he's a designer working for his degree, it looks like crap. a vision? what are you talking about? this would never work in real life.

Fonzie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2004, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
you're totally right. no of us are ready for something that looks like utter crap. the entire thing takes up ~1/3 of the screen. i don't care if he's a designer working for his degree, it looks like crap. a vision? what are you talking about? this would never work in real life.
does the word MOCKUP mean anything to you ? Maybe you're dissapointed at your placement in MacThemes' contents!? I dunno. The themes(let's just take that as an example) at MacThemes were not all something that could work in real life. They had to be adjusted so does this MOCKUP. Who says he will not make a mini-mode aswell to display his capabilities? I'm talking about vision as having abit of imagination. I see and hear many (or some) complain about iTunes lack of(read none) freeform skins.

How about this: Imagine you have your Mac connected to your stereo and you want a bigger interface to control iTunes. What do I know.

I'm not saying you people are NOT allowed to critize. That's what the free world is all about. But have your working braincells with you when you write, please. This does not include all of you who have posted in this thread.

deej5871
Senior User
Apr 17, 2004, 03:51 PM

I could see me liking this mockup because my iTunes window takes up a lot of my screen anyway (I like being able to see everything w/o scrolling). There are only 2 problems I see. One being that I don't see a song list..I see a Source list but no song list, would that pop out like a drawer or something? And the other problem is that I don't like the burn button being the centerpiece. I think that it makes more sense to either have the play button be in the center, or, do what we're used to and put the Current Song thing in the center.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 03:56 PM

I AM GOING TO BE NARROWMINDED AND GO OUT ON A LIMB, WAS THIS DESIGNER BLIND, OR JUST STUPID?

Fonzie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2004, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
I AM GOING TO BE NARROWMINDED AND GO OUT ON A LIMB, WAS THIS DESIGNER BLIND, OR JUST STUPID?
Listen you, I do not think the designer is anymore stupid than you right now

Did you remember to take your pills today?

Maybe you should stay away from those pills with BMW logos and smileys on them

Then maybe you will return to real life. Just maybe.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 04:23 PM

Ok, i want u to go to ur i doctor and check ur eye sight cause ...... if u think that is a good vision, ur blind..... im going to stop with this argument and alll i have to say is that the pillls i take have the honda logo on them

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2004, 04:29 PM

WOAH people, calm down!

All it is is a mock-up. Jeeze.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2004, 04:52 PM

Uh, where's the mockup? All I get is a video that should definitely NOT be on MacNN...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2004, 04:57 PM

That URL used to show the Mockup... somehow it has changed to a very disturbing video of someone shooting themselves in the head. I recomend you DO NOT click the link.

As for the mock up, I saw it when it was up... did anyone download it?

phillryu
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
Who's the big loser here? You for being so narrowminded ? OR the one who actually made some graphics and has a vision ? NO ONE is saying that this IS what iTunes5 is going to look like. Did ANYONE of you who critize the image READ the first post ??? IS IT MADE BY A GRAPHICS ARTIST WHO IS TAKING HIS DEGREE .
Fonzie, just because he's a graphic artist doesn't mean he's a good graphic artist. And man, are you getting pissed off defending the guy. Doesn't that count as narrow mindedness too?

By the way, the video is NOT funny.

Tarambana
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2004, 05:03 PM

Thogugh that video is disgusting and I would also like to know how that link changed if you are interested, you can check the mockup here: http://www.allannyholm.dk/pictures/iTunes5(MockUp).jpg

I think copy & paste should work well, but be careful as I don't know if it displays here on my Mac just because Safari is caching it, and, as I said, I don't advice anyone to see that video.

Regards,

Tara.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by jokell82:
Uh, where's the mockup? All I get is a video that should definitely NOT be on MacNN...

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2004, 05:09 PM

I couldn't open a video at all, but the iTunes5(MockUp).jpg works (for now?)

It's inconsistent, unusable, and overall just bad.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 05:12 PM

I thought it loked pretty cool, could be even turned into a kinda media centre. If it's too big, well... I'm sure it cold be RE-SIZED, but anyway, nice idea, better looking than itunes.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 05:14 PM

wow, what the hell is that video all about? ****in sick

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Tarambana:
I don't advice anyone to see that video.

Regards,

Tara.
yeah, I just opened it, i feel pretty weird after seeing it.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2004, 05:22 PM

Nevermind the video... this forum isn't about a video... okay, back to the subject... that screenshot mockup looks gross and clunky. That reminds me of Windows Media Player for Windows, I hope Apple never goes to that route, but on the other hand, it would be nice to include custom window shapes and themes... remember Quicktime themes (embedded in specific QuickTime movies). That was pretty cool. http://www.bmwfilms.com <-- these movies have custom QuickTime themes that are pretty nice.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by TheSpaz:
Nevermind the video... this forum isn't about a video... okay,
yeah, that would be ok, if... the link up the top pointed to the image being discussed, rather than some prick pointing it to some dude blowing his head off.

but yeah, back on topic.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by TheSpaz:
That URL used to show the Mockup... somehow it has changed to a very disturbing video of someone shooting themselves in the head. I recomend you DO NOT click the link.

As for the mock up, I saw it when it was up... did anyone download it?
Yeah I agree this should not be up here...

On-topic: The Mock-up is cool but it's not very usable

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2004, 05:48 PM

I paused right when he put the gun in his mouth (which was also right when I figured out what was going on.) Sick. This place is a zoo.

Forum Links
Forum Rules