Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > WoW server reliability.

WoW server reliability.
AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 13, 2004, 09:04 PM

I just started playing the game, but have already seen two fairly lengthy periods of downtime.

How has the reliablity been during the whole beta test? For a game that offers absolutely no offline play, I would think this would be top priority.

Right now it's free, but it makes me wonder if I'm going to want to spend $15/month on a service that craps out every week.

I understand it's 'open beta' and there will be issues, but I was looking for an oppinion from someone who's been playing since the private beta started.

DaveNinja
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2004, 10:51 PM

I was coming here to see if there was a server problem. Its been about 3 or 4 hours now that i havent been able to log in. Sucks because I actually had free time to play today and couldnt.

Awesome game, though.
daveninja.com

iT4c0
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2004, 04:45 AM

I used to play FFXI for about 7 month. I only see 2 downtime not including the regular maintain. If WoW wants to do well, they have to solve this server issue. The game is great but the lag make the game not very enjoyable. By the way, is there any Mac guild on the Pacific PvE server?
I am in test 37.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2004, 02:57 PM

The issues they're having with the Open Beta and server stability never really occured on this scale while in Closed Beta. The only extended downtime I can remember was when the hurricane hit their datacenter; even that didn't take long to get fixed. At the time it sure felt like it though.
MacBook Pro

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2004, 02:10 AM

I've been playing WoW Beta for around 5 months and I haven't encountered this kind of lag/downtime before, even when server was heavily under stressed from time to time.

The lag/downtime we've been seeing now are new to Stress Test II and OB

Honestly, I'm kinda unsure if Blizzard will find the problem and fix it before Nov. 24th. Their complete lack of answer on this is not a good sign

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2004, 10:56 AM

I suspect that after the character wipe, people will spread out more, which will help with the lag. I know our guild will be looking to move to a less-populated set of servers.

As to downtime, this is beta -- they bring down the servers whenever they need to, because it's NOT a production environment with paying customers. Remember, this is not a demo, it's a beta. The whole point of it is to allow them to better tune their servers to maximize performance.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

videian28
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2004, 11:01 AM

server stability has been awesome throughout closed beta, no lag AT ALL

gone to hell since open beta lol, but they are fixing (just taking forever)

no one will buy in its current state

FlammableYurt
Nov 19, 2004, 04:39 AM

Just to clarify... Thesee last few days of Open Beta have not had the same lag problems. I think Blizzard did an excellent job of solving the problem in such a short window of time. Obviously there are times where you experience lag, but it's never for as long as it used to last. The longest I have experienced lag towards the end of the Beta was maybe 1 minute...
I've been so many places, I've seen so many faces, and these blue, green, and purple HILLS

Forum Links
Forum Rules