Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can you buy Applecare for an MBP replaced under Applecare?

Can you buy Applecare for an MBP replaced under Applecare?
spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2008, 08:52 PM

Hey all,

I don't know if this is the right forum, but I have an Applecare question.

I am currently awaiting the arrival of a brand new 17" MBP, which is replacing a 17" Powerbook G4. Apple replaced this Powerbook with about a week or so left on my Applecare contract.

Simple question - my original Applecare warranty on the Powerbook expires sometime this week. Can I buy Applecare for the new MBP? Or is it ineligible because I basically got it for free? Is the new MBP covered under its "normal" 1 year warranty?

I understand that this is a pretty sweet deal, but I just wondered. I had a laptop replaced at Best Buy (not a Mac), where they replaced it under the extended warranty, and I got a new computer then too, and they did let me buy a new warranty for the new one.

Thanks!
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2008, 10:55 PM

When my MBA was replaced under AppleCare, they offered me the choice of transferring my existing AppleCare to the new machine (same end date) or receiving a pro-rated refund of the price of AppleCare based on how much is remaining. In your case I'd take the latter; the residual value is quite low, but you can get a full 3 year warranty on your new machine for ~$300.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2008, 11:25 PM

Why don't you wait till you have the MBA, and then call Apple and ask to buy Applecare.

They'll ask you for the serial#. Let's see of it pops up as a free replacement in their system.
I actually boubt it will.

-t

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2008, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
When my MBA was replaced under AppleCare, they offered me the choice of transferring my existing AppleCare to the new machine (same end date) or receiving a pro-rated refund of the price of AppleCare based on how much is remaining. In your case I'd take the latter; the residual value is quite low, but you can get a full 3 year warranty on your new machine for ~$300.
My problem with the latter option is that the applecare warranty literally expires this week (if it hasn't already). This meanse that the residual value will be a few pennies...

I can't find the lookup tool on the apple site that lets you enter the serial number (which I still have) to verify the end of coverage.

If I don't act by the expiration of the current contract, am I stuck with no warranty at all (or the typical one-year)?

And turtle777 - if I can find the lookup thing on the apple site - I wonder if I enter the new serial number if it will tell me anything useful?

I am really hoping the new MBP shows up today - it is at the Fedex facility about 40 miles from my office. If they don't attempt a delivery today I am going to be pissed (the estimated delivery date is Wednesday)...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2008, 11:08 AM

The serial number lookup tool should be at apple.com/support/.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2008, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
The serial number lookup tool should be at apple.com/support/.
I looked there, and they no longer have it on the main support page. I did something here:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

But this one doesn't appear to work like the old one (telling you how many days of coverage you have left)... It tells me my old serial number is covered, but isn't eligible for complementary support anymore. I suspect this might be because it was replaced...

I will see if I can get it to work once I register the new machine.

Thanks

ibook_steve
Apr 7, 2008, 11:54 AM

I'm more interested in how you got Apple to replace an (at least) 2 year old machine with a new MBP.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I'm more interested in how you got Apple to replace an (at least) 2 year old machine with a new MBP.

Steve
See this thread...

http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-noteb...care-question/

I was stunned when they made the offer. And it was about 2 years and 11 months old.

As I said - I am already waaaay ahead on this deal - so if I can't get Applecare on it, it isn't that big of a deal. I just hope I get the standard 1 year warranty.

bradbissell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2008, 08:44 AM

Your new machine will be considered a new machine. Apple replaced my macbook with a new macbook after one year and I was able to get my old applecare refunded and buy a new applecare policy for the new machine. The new macbook was 11 months old when I bought the applecare policy. In the end I had a full warranty and new applecare.
Macbook C2D 2.0 Ghz w/ 2GB Ram, 5G 30GB iPod

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2008, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by bradbissell View Post
Your new machine will be considered a new machine. Apple replaced my macbook with a new macbook after one year and I was able to get my old applecare refunded and buy a new applecare policy for the new machine. The new macbook was 11 months old when I bought the applecare policy. In the end I had a full warranty and new applecare.
In your case, though, you still had warranty coverage left. In my case, I think my warranty has expired (or is just about to).

I'm actually surprised that you got back a prorated payback on the unused portion of the warranty. When I had the crappy windows laptop replace at Best Buy under their extended warranty, the replacement machine "fulfilled" the warranty, and I didn't get any refund back.

I have been trying to use the lookup feature on the support page, but it says my new serial number can't be found. I am hoping it takes some time for the serial to get into their system. Ideally, I would like to have a 1 year warranty on it, and then buy Applecare in 11 months or so (new baby due any day now, and not ready to drop $350 on the warranty at this moment!).

Forum Links
Forum Rules