Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External drive has failed

External drive has failed
snackhound
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2008, 05:21 AM

Morning,

My Lacie D2 which i use for Time Machine and to store video files on has stopped working and does not show up using finder. If connected via Firewire I can use the Lacie update tool and this tells me that the firmware needs updating but the installation fails when it is installing the new firmware.

Techtool Pro can't locate the disk, gonna give Disc Warrier a try later but i am not holding up much hope.

I need to recover my data as if I send it back to Lacie they will more than likly format the disc of just send me back a new unit.

I think its the bridgeboard thats faulty, so if I remove the drive from the Lacie case i will proerbly be able to get my data back but will invalidate the warranty.

Does any one have any ideas on how to recover the data without removing the drive from the case?

Snacky

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 8, 2008, 02:11 AM

If TTP and DW can't get it, I'm not sure what will. I'd definitely want to get that drive out of there. Bridgeboard sounds good, I've saved two perfect HDs from faulty cases - both WD MyBook jobs). Hopefully that's it because if you crack it open and STILL can't access the information, you'll be doubly screwed because your data's gone, and you don't have a consolation prize(a warranty-fixed external HD).

I know this wasn't the answer you were looking for, but hey.

ice

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2008, 05:42 AM

I just had two LaCie power supplies die on me (it got really hot for a couple of weeks here, and the disks are in the closet, so they died an understandable heat death), which I was able to verify by hooking up different power supplies from other LaCie disks (I have a bunch of them), which had the disk working fine. Upon my diagnosis, LaCie replaced the power supplies, no further questions. The disks themselves never left my house.

The LaCie power supplies spit out two separate voltages - one for the bridge, and one for the disk. It's possible you might just have to get the power supply replaced.

Try to check with a different supply, perhaps at the store.

snackhound  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2008, 05:13 AM

I have a spare lacie power suplly so will give that a go when i get home from work tonight.

Thanks for the suggestion

Snacky

snackhound  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2008, 09:55 AM

swapped the power supplies and did not fix the problem. I will be taking the drive outof the case tonight.

Snacky

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2008, 04:30 PM

uh.

Forum Links
Forum Rules