Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > ipod as external hard drive?

ipod as external hard drive?
Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2004, 01:50 PM

I currently use a 40gb Pogo RipDrive that does lots of great stuff -- really, it's a great tool -- except it crashes a lot. I need to get rid of it. I was thinking of switching to ipod. I've done internet searching but can't find an answer to this basic question:

Does the iPod show up as a cross-platform USB external hard drive?

and:
Is there a way to make it let me organize my files in my own folders structure? I hate ID3 tags. the RipDrive lets me do things like put box sets in their own subfolder, place all the "singles" I have in one folder, keep some artists by genre and some artists in the home directory, copy "collections" and keep them separately... etc. All this is super easy and intuitive for me because it works straight out of Explorer (I'm getting a Mac in the spring)... i don't want to use iTunes (it runs like crap on my old Windows PC) and have to ID3 everything (big headache)

Plus, my current computer has a 9 gig hard drive, I'd need to keep the files on the external device and not my computer.

also, I need to be able to use it as an all-purpose external HDD for programs, moving files between computers, Word documents, whatever... and edit these files in place and easily...

Can I make these things happen on an iPod?

Forum Links
Forum Rules