Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > need a keyboard protector?

need a keyboard protector?
Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2006, 03:55 AM

what's the prevailing opinion? my friend, a professional programmer, says that all laptops need them. he told me that screens get imprinted with the outlines of the keyboard when you don't use a protector... then again, he's never used a MacBook. anyway, what's the best way to go with this? could i just buy something from the fabric store, cut it and call it a day?

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2006, 09:47 AM

yes, just get an old tshirt and cut out a lil square the size of your keyboard. however, you shouldnt have that problem with the macbook. it was a while back when the keyboard problem existed for the powerbooks.
-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 19, 2006, 09:55 AM

while it is a great idea, the unique thing about the macbook (and the macbook ONLY) is that the keyboard is recessed into the case, so that when the lid is closed, there keys are not touching the screen. no other laptop has that feature. Then again, some people feel the need for a screen protector to protect the wrist rest areas.

there's one made by other world computing (aka OWC) found at macsales.com. That is a piece of leather. It is thicker than any of the other ones i've seen. My friend found out yesterday that it is too thick for his new macbook pro. He previously used it for his ibook.

i used one in the past for my 15" powerbook made by shaggymac. it was much thinner, though.

since the magnetic closure is a strong one, it might make the macbook easier to open if you have a piece of fabric between it. which could be a good thing. on the other hand, if it is too thick, then your macbook could possibly not close properly.

I haven't heard of people using something from a fabric store, but people have used "microfiber cloths" used to clean eyeglasses and computer screens. good luck
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Jun 20, 2006, 05:41 PM

Hmm..that's good news to hear about the macbook's keyboard, I haven't checked really yet.

Typically, I get the microfiber cloth from radtech. They don't have alot of color schemes, but who cares. It does the job of protecting the screen and also doubling as a gentle enough fabric to wipe the screen.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

masugu
Senior User
Oct 5, 2006, 03:24 PM

Has anyone tried this keyboard Condom

Wondering if it is really overkill for the blacbook...

http://www.iskin.com/protouchmb/
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Muffin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2006, 08:50 PM

Even with the recessed keys, I wanted extra protection. The Shaggymac Macbook model fits perfectly & works great to wipe the lcd clean.
13.3" Black MacBook Laptop Screen Protector [SPMB13] - $12.95 : ShaggyMac, Laptop Screen Protector, Laptop Care, & Essential Accessories
MBP 15.4" 2.4 | iMac 20" 2.4 | Mac Pro 2.66 | 17" iMac G5 iSight | PM Quicksilver 867 G4

masugu
Senior User
Oct 5, 2006, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Muffin
Even with the recessed keys, I wanted extra protection. The Shaggymac Macbook model fits perfectly & works great to wipe the lcd clean.
13.3" Black MacBook Laptop Screen Protector [SPMB13] - $12.95 : ShaggyMac, Laptop Screen Protector, Laptop Care, & Essential Accessories

Gotcha...but I was really looking for a reaction to the product I found which seems to stay on the keyboard at all times - i.e. you type on it. The product you have protects the screen while the NB is in transit or closed.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 6, 2006, 11:30 AM

Go to a crafts or linen store and get a nice, soft 1mm thick piece of fabric. cut it out to the size of they keyboard and there ya go. It will probably cost you $1-$2. We'll say $5 if you need to buy scissors
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules