Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Upgrading older Lombard G3 Powerbook

Upgrading older Lombard G3 Powerbook
JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2004, 12:25 AM

Hi all,
Recently I purchased an old G3 Powerbook for really cheap. It's the Lombard (bronze keyboard) one. It has a 333 processor in it. I was curious about what upgrades might be available regarding the processor. Everything else about this computer does what I need it to do. The processor is just a tad slow to run DVD movies very cleanly however. Thanks for any advice?

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2004, 08:18 PM

Unless you have the PC Card DVD hardware decoder installed the 333 Lombard won't play DVD's at all. I believe Daystar has Lombard processor upgrades now.

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2004, 11:11 PM

It must have something installed in there. DVD Player wouldn't install off the OS X discs, but DVDs play fine with VLC player. They're just a little choppy at times. Thanks for the info about Daystar!

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2004, 11:23 PM

I checked out the link. I have a question about it...I'm kinda a hands on type guy. How difficult would it be if I found that processor (or another one that would work with it) to put in myself? Is it something that would be so technical, I shouldn't attempt? Also, are there any other processor options out there? Thanks!

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2004, 11:40 PM

Powerlogix stopped upgrading Lombards, check out Weneger Media and maybe Sonnett. Daystar has a very good reputation in a field of massive complaints with Powerbook processor upgrades historically.

I upgraded my Pismo to 900mz myself with great results, others have had disastrous experiences with the same upgrade.

I would let Daystar do the install and let them stand behind their work in case of problems with heat or stability, which is very common issues with upgrade cards.

Again, unless your 333 came with the PC Card pre-fitted with the decoder and has a DVD-ROM drive you won't ever be able to play DVD disks. Those two items bring premium prices on the used market.

Kami
Oct 12, 2004, 01:45 AM

You won't be able to watch DVDs on your Lombard if you are running any version of X. Even if you have the PC card DVD decoder or the 400 MHz model with the decoder on the motherboard. Apple stopped supporting hardware decoding and thus the reason why DVD Player won't install from the OS x discs. You can always boot into 9 to watch DVDs though

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2004, 09:03 PM

Well, like I said, the problem isn't with playing DVDs, just processor speed. My lombard does indeed play DVD movies. I just popped in Independence Day, and it played fine with VLC player. I dunno, maybe it has something installed in there that I don't know about. But I'm running just OS X 10.3, and movies play fine. Bizarre...anyways, thanks for all the suggestions on upgrades! I appreciate it greatly!

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2004, 09:10 PM

Okay, here's a follow-up question. I checked out wegener media, and they offer a 400 megahertz processor. How much of a speed increase will that really give me compared to my 333? Also, another site mentioned offered a 433 (I believe) G4 processor upgrade to my Lombard. Obviously that would be a greater boost than the 400, but how much exactly? Thanks for your help again!

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2004, 10:06 PM

If you can play retail DVD disks (not from hard drive copy) in OSX, you don't have a 333 Lombard. It must be either a 400 Lombard or a 400 Pismo. If you have mini-SCSI connector on back its the Lombard, if firewire ports, Pismo.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2004, 10:28 PM

I did not know the Pismos came @ 333 MHz.

I just put OSX 10.3 on an old 400 MHz Lombard, I'll see if the DVD drive works.

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2004, 11:45 PM

It does indeed have SCSI, not firewire. I don't know how it's able to read DVD movies, I wasn't even aware that this model wasn't supposed to. Perhaps the DVD decoder card was installed after the original purchase or something? Who knows.

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2004, 12:01 AM

When you have the book powered off, eject the PC Card slot, if the decoder card pops out you obviously got one with your purchase (pretty unusual). Same with DVD drive, eject the drive and check bottom for DVD-ROM spec on tag. Why it works in OSX is a mystery. But the installer wouldn't install DVD Player?

csean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2004, 05:30 AM

If memory doesn't fail me, there MAY have been a few 333 Lombards sold with DVD decoder on the logic board... Anyone remember this?

In which case, there's no need for the PC card decoder, as long as he has a DVD drive (duh). Then again, would he be able to play DVDs in VLC player, using a DVD drive without DVD decoder?

As to upgrades, you can swap a Combo DVD/CDRW into the expansion bay pretty easily; or else a DVD-R/W. Prices are dropping fast on tray-loading slim drives. e.g., I've seen the NEC 6500 selling for around 100 euro: it burns DVD-R and DVD+R at 8x (!), and also burns Dual Layer DVDs. Pretty high tech for a Lombard, but why not?

I don't know if the G4 upgrade is cost effective. Before spending $250-300 or whatever it is, I'd consider using the Lombard as a G3 for a while, then possibly selling it in future if you want G4. Save the $300 and put it towards a Titanium.

Chris

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2004, 10:26 AM

I've successfully interchanged optical drive updrades between my lombard with dvd encoded and a pismo. When the DVD ROM failed in the lombard, I upgraded my pismo's combo drive to a dvd-r, and used the combo for the lombard. These are pretty cheap now, less than $80 usually.

But I have to agree, the lombard's are pretty marginal machines right now. You would probably want to add firewire, too, for long-term use -- yet another added expense.

My lombard is from a dead parts pile, it gets upgraded when something good becomes available (a 45 GB 5400 rpm drive is the latest bonus freed up from an upgrade 'upstream'.)

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2004, 02:32 PM

bmhome, there's no decoder card in the PC card slot. And yeah, DVD player doesn't install from the OS X discs, but VLC player runs DVD movies.

csean, thanks for the advice. I will probably just wait a while and not blow that kind of money on a G4 processor. I am curious however, how much of a speed boost would a 400 give me compared to my 333? Would it be worth $90?

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 03:35 PM

it wouldn't be worth getting a g4 maybe a faster g3 though.
but make sure its at least 500 you'll need about that much to make it worth the money.

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2004, 04:11 PM

Thanks macaddict. Any advice as to where I could find a 500? The places I've checked don't have a G3 faster than 400...unless of course I just missed it. Also, how tricky is it to put the new processor in? Is it something that should be left strictly to the experts, or is it something that I could learn how to do? Thanks!

Aftaab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2004, 05:22 PM

This is just my opinion and it seems as though some people have had good experiences from this thread. I have been trying to upgrade my 400MHz pismo since the end of May 2004. I found the Powerlogix 900MHz blue chip upgrade and decided to go for it. I got the upgrade 3 months later!!! It never worked and it is back with the pirates in Texas. These guys could write the book of excuses -- but to cut a long story short I wouldn't recommend using their products. Their customer service is a study in how NOT to treat your clients. I want my money back!

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 10:15 PM

woops just checked their site can you believe it the lombard "bluechip: upgrade is discontinued
quess you're stuck with another manufacturer.

as for how easy to install it is I have never done it but I imagine it would be as easy as getting access to the motherboard and lifting a lever and putting the new chip in. but it should come with instructions.

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2004, 10:41 PM

I have had great success with my Pismo 900mz upgrade installed nearly two years ago, but certainly not the typical outcome. The Lombards and Pismos are very different processor designs and are not interchangeable. The G4 Lombard upgrade has been satisfactory for some, but don't expect a big jump.

You are fortunate to have the very rare late run 333 Lombards with built in DVD decoding.

Forum Links
Forum Rules