Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Where is Be OS 5 for PPC??

Where is Be OS 5 for PPC??
themotor
Mar 29, 2000, 02:09 PM

Yesterday, I sent the following letter to Be, Inc.
On their website last week, Be made public the fact that they would release Be OS 5 free for personal use via electronic download on March 28th, 2000.

Now, if one goes to their site, the only download available is the one for Wintel boxes.
Can anyone provide any insight?

Thanks!

Where is Be OS 5 for PowerPC hardware?? And why is there no mention of when it will be made available? All the download links I can find are for Wintel boxes... :-/

If I've simply just missed something, please let me know. But as for now, I cannot find a single link to download (nor mention of the availability of Be OS 5 for PPC) anywhere on the Be website. I cannot even find the words 'Mac' or 'PPC' on the download page at:
http://www.be.com/products/freebeos/

:-(

Please enlighten me (and many other anxious Mac owners) regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance!!!

Rafael
[email protected]

David525
Mar 29, 2000, 02:24 PM

Check out this link:
http://www.be.com/press/pressrelease...freebeos5.html

Looks like the only version available for PPC is the 'Pro' version, and that it most likely won't be free.

David

themotor  (op)
Mar 29, 2000, 02:29 PM

FYI:
Here's an excerpt from the Be OS for Power Mac FAQ.

Last Reviewed: 7/1/1999
Last Modified: 11/4/1998

So how long will Be support the PowerPC/Power Mac platform?
What does "technically and economically feasible" really mean?

We plan the BeOS two releases out, and that plan shows us shipping PowerPC (Mac and BeBox) support for (at least) through Release 5. After that, it depends on customer demand.

That's not just weasel words. By late next year, it's unclear how many people will actually be using their 2-3 year old Macs running the BeOS. If Apple has not changed their minds about assisting us in our efforts to add value to their hardware, it seems unlikely that many people will want to run the BeOS on obsolete systems.

themotor  (op)
Mar 29, 2000, 02:43 PM

David -
Thanks for your reply. From the press release it does seem that your statement is correct, but why is Be using such indirect language regarding the support for PowerPC?

Perhaps Be feels that since the only PPC hardware that Be OS 5 supports are higher-end 604 machines, the persons using it would be professionals, and therefore would be using Be OS 5 for commercial purposes. if this is the case, why don't they just come on out and say so?

- Rafael

[This message has been edited by themotor (edited 03-29-2000).]

themotor  (op)
Mar 29, 2000, 03:50 PM

I received a response from my letter to Be, and they basically said that the've never announced a Personal Edition of Be OS 5 for PPC, and they cannot comment on whether or not one will be released. However, PPC users *can* order the Pro version, which can be installed on Intel *or* PPC machines, and costs $69.95 ($29.95 to upgrade from a previous version). It ships on or before April 15th, and can be ordered at:

http://www.bedepot.com/products/gobe/beos.asp

- Rafael

Forum Links
Forum Rules