Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why is no DVD Player so annoying?

Why is no DVD Player so annoying?
Sean7
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2001, 06:49 PM

Ive been annoyed at no DVD player for a long while, but the only reason for me anger is the inconvenience it brings.

Anyone have any thoughts on why most of uss are getting worked up over this?
osx.vr9.com

interactive_civilian
Jun 12, 2001, 07:13 PM

Simple. My computer is my DVD player. I watch DVDs randomly, but quite often (usually one every day or two). I often watch them on a whim, instead of planning to do so before hand. Having to reboot on a whim is annoying. Other times, I will start a long software download or something, and while I wait, I will watch a DVD. In this situation, rebooting is not an option.

So, I have been using OS 9.1 predominantly for the past few weeks (which sucks because I REALLY like OS X, and the only thing keeping me from using it full time is the lack of a DVD player).

Now, I am obviously not a representative sample of the Mac using community, but that is my story. The sooner Apple gets a DVD player in OS X, the sooner I get back to using it.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2001, 07:20 PM

It doesn't annoy me at all; the computer-DVD experience is FAR inferior to the set-top DVD experience, so I've used my computer to play DVDs at most 3 times since I bought it last year.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

moreno
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2001, 07:40 PM

check this out! Apple sarcasm:

(Mac OS X Support: Apple Discussions)
Discussions > Mac OS > Mac OS X > Mac OS X FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

"How to View a DVD Movie"
(Posted 02:50pm Mar 22, 2001 CST)
" Please see article 106153, " Mac OS X 10.0: Start up From Mac OS 9.1 to Use Apple DVD Player" "

Sean7  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2001, 07:54 PM

Not far far inferior, it does have many benefits.

For one, if a new DVD technology comes out, your DVD player will not be able to play certain discs, whilst a software player can be updated.

With OSX also we'll be able to watch movies as well as working, without have to turn our necks.

Also once I get an iBook and it gets outdated, ill use it under my tv as a DVD player.
osx.vr9.com

10sfan
Jun 12, 2001, 08:14 PM

My opinion about this:

We paid for computers with DVD players. The lack of a DVD player is almost like Apple is taking away something we already paid for. Although we can still use the DVD player by rebooting into OS 9, how would you all like it if Apple said "You have to reboot into OS 9 to use your hard disk"?

Another reason it bothers me is lack of notice. I was not told that there would be no DVD player until months after I had already preordered Mac OS X.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2001, 08:22 PM

I too find rebooting on a whim quite annoying. My computer is my DVD player.

The g4dp is hooked up to an lcd projector. Once you've seen dvds this way, everything else looks low res. I also watch tv on this projector and it is far wrorse in picture quality than apple's software decoder via an SVGA cable.

Now if only there was a way to get digital sound out of my mac. I really want dolby digital or DTS output from OS X (or os 9.1). My amp even has a USB input... any ideas?

darrin filer

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2001, 08:29 PM

When it comes, it comes. I would much rather have more scanner and CD data write support.

BigMac2
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2001, 09:23 PM

What amaze me, its Microsoft, Dell, Compaq, HP, never made a DVD Player, why Apple should be? Apple give those software for free, so give it a chance, they cant do everything. Why no one never complain to Microsoft to never add a CDR software? Some people have some problem to make the difference between the OS and the Software

<hmpff>
Jun 12, 2001, 09:25 PM

Sean7,

People got worked up over a blue apple in the middle of the menu bar. Enough said.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2001, 09:51 PM

"When it comes, it comes. I would much rather have more scanner and CD data write support. "

And there's those of us who don't have scanners or a cd burner, but *do* have a DVD drive, and no DVD player other than that. Lack of a DVD player doesn't hold me back from using OS X as my primary OS, but it is annoying that I have to reboot to watch one, and that others who complain along the lines of "well, I'd rather have cd data burning," don't seem to understand that hmm.... well, that's their wants and needs and when those things come they'll obviously suits your needs and the things you have for your comp. Personally I'd rather have a DVD player because it suits my needs, but you don't hear me complaining about others who want cd data burning or something else. It's no big deal, but I want one (DVD player for X). Just as some want cd data burning, others want dvd-r burning, etc. I just want a DVD player. It's really annoying how some people will complain about the lack of one thing and then attack those who just want something like DVD playing capabilities in X.

unimacs
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2001, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by &lt;hmpff&gt;:
<STRONG>Sean7,

People got worked up over a blue apple in the middle of the menu bar. Enough said. </STRONG>
Oh-Oh, now you've done it

I think it's just hard to give up something your used to having and I'm anxious for it to come back too. It'll end all the complaining about it.

dogzilla
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2001, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by unimacs:
<STRONG>I think it's just hard to give up something your used to having</STRONG>
That, and that it's so easy to complain.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2001, 11:17 PM

It's a matter of convenience. One of the many reasons I bought a TiBook was its DVD capability. You see, I have the worst luck with air travel and am delayed constantly. Come PC Expo and I'm sure you'll see me at Atlanta's airport huddled over and watching movies.

Sure you can reboot, but it sucks that you have to. I have a DVD Player for home use, but on the road my TiBook is my DVD player. Most of the complaints are going to bee from laptop users.

Circa
Senior User
Jun 13, 2001, 12:56 AM

I admit alot of people are mad because of this, but as others have said it will come and when it does we will be all happy again... Err no.
Circa

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2001, 01:23 AM

My god, what kind of complete dorkified GEEK watches DVD's on their computer?!

Get a life, buy a REAL DVD player and really enjoy a movie.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2001, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by dogzilla:
<STRONG>

That, and that it's so easy to complain.</STRONG>
cute kid, Dogzilla
...eeerr, on the left.

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2001, 04:32 AM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
<STRONG>And there's those of us who don't have scanners or a cd burner, but *do* have a DVD drive...</STRONG>

yeah, but watching DVDs is more like playing
Burning Data CDs is essential (Backups etc.).
The thing that I don�t understand is why most of you want to mess around with this DiscBurner crap? I�d rather have Toast.

cu

P.S.: I dont like DiscBurner because first I don�t like the idea of treating CDRs just like every other Media and just mount it on the Desktop and drag and drop files and second because even if i�d like the idea the way DB realizes that is not that good (700MB swap space etc.)

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2001, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
<STRONG>"When it comes, it comes. I would much rather have more scanner and CD data write support. "

And there's those of us who don't have scanners or a cd burner, but *do* have a DVD drive, and no DVD player other than that.</STRONG>
I'm mad because I <font color = red>wish</font> I had a CD burner, but when I bought my computer Apple only offered DVD drives so I had to buy one. And now they aren't supporting my DVD drive. I knew it was a waste of money but now I feel like Apple's just rubbing it in.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2001, 04:50 AM

Originally posted by BigMac2:
<STRONG>What amaze me, its Microsoft, Dell, Compaq, HP, never made a DVD Player, why Apple should be? Apple give those software for free, so give it a chance, they cant do everything. Why no one never complain to Microsoft to never add a CDR software? Some people have some problem to make the difference between the OS and the Software</STRONG>
Again, there's hardware competition in the Wintel market, so people aren't forced to buy DVD drives they don't want. But if Apple's making me buy a DVD drive, they'd better supply a DVD player.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

dark flask
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2001, 05:20 AM

What amaze me, its Microsoft, Dell, Compaq, HP, never made a DVD Player, why Apple should be? Apple give those software for free, so give it a chance, they cant do everything. Why no one never complain to Microsoft to never add a CDR software?
Windows ME has a dvd player.

a french guy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2001, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by smacintush:
<STRONG>My god, what kind of complete dorkified GEEK watches DVD's on their computer?!

Get a life, buy a REAL DVD player and really enjoy a movie.</STRONG>
You know I'd like to... But I'm a student, and I'm not rich enough (yet ) to buy such a thing... I know it's not expensive anymore, but I have a DVD player in my mac, why should I bother thinking about buying a real DVD player? Moreover, it means for me to buy a new TV (for the screen size )...

Sorry, too much money for me...

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2001, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by BigMac2:
<STRONG>What amaze me, its Microsoft, Dell, Compaq, HP, never made a DVD Player, why Apple should be? Apple give those software for free, so give it a chance, they cant do everything. Why no one never complain to Microsoft to never add a CDR software? Some people have some problem to make the difference between the OS and the Software</STRONG>
I think this is the exact reason we use macs. So we don't have to rely on 50 different vendors for basic system functionality, like DVD playback. The more damn vendors involved, the more likely things are going to go wrong.

That's why MS, Dell, Compaq and HP all suck. I don't want Apple to do what they do.

interactive_civilian
Jun 13, 2001, 11:11 AM

<STRONG>My god, what kind of complete dorkified GEEK watches DVD's on their computer?!

Well, thanks for the sermon...Are you going to pay for it? Why don't you throw in a TV as well, because I don't have one of those. I don't watch TV, only DVDs. That is why I got a DVD-ROM drive in my computer. That is why any computer I buy in the future will have to capability of playing DVDs.

See, it was a lot simpler to get the added functionality of a DVD player with my computer for very litte extra cost, vs. buying a standalone player (good luck finding one that is region free/region selectable for a low price...and yes, I have a nice mix of region 1 and 2 DVDs) and a television set, and of course, I would have to throw in something for a sound system, because it would be inconvenient for me to have to remove the speakers from my computer whenever I want to watch a DVD.

My point? Your solution is not everyone's solution.

Unfortunately, for the time being, that functionality is not available in my OS of choice, so I have to use my second choice. To me that is annoying, but it isn't the end of the world.

<help>
Jun 13, 2001, 11:18 AM

Actually, this is so stupid it is not really worth replying.

I have a laptop. It plays DVDs. I can plug it in the TV. What else would a DVD player give me? Ooooh, a remote!!! Now I would really ENJOY the movies!

Same thing goes for my stereo. I bought good speakers, and I use my computer as my music player. I don't want to play tapes, not even CDs. I'm going all digital. I ripped my CDs, tapes and old records on my computer, so now I can listen to whatever I want, instantly.

So, I guess to be able to "enjoy" movies, I should get a home-theater system. Heck, I'll get 25 speakers, and I'll have a huge screen installed in my back yard. It'll be just like going to the drive-in. Ooooh.

Sucker.

dymanohum
Jun 13, 2001, 11:24 AM

I have not figured out how to bring my home entertainment system on a plane yet, so I use my laptop to play disney movies for my three year old ( they just don't have inflight movies for kids ) this keeps the "are we there yets" to a minimum.

dymanohum
Jun 13, 2001, 11:26 AM

I have not figured out how to bring my home entertainment system on a plane yet, so I use my laptop to play disney movies for my three year old ( they just don't have inflight movies for kids ) this keeps the "are we there yets" to a minimum.

dymanohum
Jun 13, 2001, 11:43 AM

Sean7  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2001, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by &lt;help&gt;:
<STRONG>

Actually, this is so stupid it is not really worth replying.

I have a laptop. It plays DVDs. I can plug it in the TV. What else would a DVD player give me? Ooooh, a remote!!! Now I would really ENJOY the movies!

Same thing goes for my stereo. I bought good speakers, and I use my computer as my music player. I don't want to play tapes, not even CDs. I'm going all digital. I ripped my CDs, tapes and old records on my computer, so now I can listen to whatever I want, instantly.

So, I guess to be able to "enjoy" movies, I should get a home-theater system. Heck, I'll get 25 speakers, and I'll have a huge screen installed in my back yard. It'll be just like going to the drive-in. Ooooh.

Sucker.</STRONG>
You can buy one of those Infa Red computer remotes. I will.
osx.vr9.com

walrusjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2001, 06:20 PM

And perhaps you should by a Cineplex so you can watch as the Filmaker intended

'Nuff said.

Seriously, people - nothing as degrading to conversation as quipps like this. It's my GD movie + I'll watch it where I f@ckin' want to. It's not your business what type of experience you think I'm having. The question at hand is why be pissed about no DVD support.

I bought the hardware, and I'm sorta pissed OS X doesn't support it... but not too pissed. They have a lot on their plate right now. Bit it does suck when the kids have the TV saturated with Rugrats in Paris and I have to reboot into OS9 to see how well Lawrence was converted

-jb
http://www.KeynotePro.com - Keynote Themes for Professionals

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2001, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by walrusjb:
<STRONG>

[snip] and I have to reboot into OS9 to see how well Lawrence was converted

-jb</STRONG>
Off topic:

That is enough of a reason to boot into OS 9. Lawrence of Arabia looks pretty wonderful on DVD!
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

<Unfortunately>
Jun 13, 2001, 08:30 PM

Unfortunately, the Lawrence disk is screwed up and they are already planning on rereleasing within the next few years. Robert Harris, famous film restorer, has already critiqued the less than perfect job done on this release. Here's some of his critique:

1. No. The problems stem from the colorist not knowing
precisely what the film should look like. Technically
the transfer is beautiful.

2. If it were up to me, it would be in this DVD. The final decision is up to the studio; and they have valid concerns
about adding the scene as it was not in the version which we released as "The Director's Cut" in 1989. Their feeling is that Sir David is not here to tell them that he wishes it in. A valid point. Possibly it can be added in the future via seamless.

3. The track is as the track was. It was a three track mix with a handful of added effects in the rear channel.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/026906.html

As for hooking a PB up to the TV, you are missing out on the spectacular soundtracks 5.1, 6.1, and now 7.1 channel tracks present on most DVDs. Yes, a DVD Player for OS X is good for travel, but as a standalone you'ld be much better off spending the $200 on a decent settop player.

reactor
Jun 13, 2001, 10:12 PM

I have this G3 B&W/450/768Mb equiped with build in DVD that used to be pushed by a Rage card. I switched it for a Radeon. All now needed to play DVD was to install DVD Player 2.2, which appears not to run on B&W's.

So untill Apple comes with the All Time & Long Awaited DVD updater, I'm stuck with not being able to play DVD in OS 9 nor OS X.

What's annoying about that?
if there were no Mac
it would be necessary to invent one

glurx
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2001, 10:14 PM

When I can take my home entertainment system on an airplane with me I'll be happy to.
Motorola: The Exception To Moore's Law

<hmpfff>
Jun 14, 2001, 11:51 AM

As for hooking a PB up to the TV, you are missing out on the spectacular soundtracks 5.1, 6.1, and now 7.1 channel tracks present on most DVDs. Yes, a DVD Player for OS X is good for travel, but as a standalone you'ld be much better off spending the $200 on a decent settop player.
Hmm. What exactly will these 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 channel tracks do on my 2 small TV speakers? I'm sure I'll get splendid sound!

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2001, 07:26 PM

I can understand why there is no DVD player for OSX yet. It doesn't bother me at all, nor do I feel some great injustice has been done. I have no problem interrupting my work flow to boot into OS9. I am very patient with computers (you would be too if you nursed a 6100/66 along as long as we did!) My point of annoyance is a bit more irrational. I've really never felt at home in OS9. We went from OS8.1 to OS9 shortly after we got our new computer earlier this year. We spent only a month or so in OS9 before we upgraded to OSX on March 24. As a result, I just don't feel comfortable in OS9 for some strange reason. Perhaps I hadn't had time to put a good "butt-grove" into it. Who knows? But, it's enough to make me hesitate about changing startup disks. Otherwise, I'd have no problem at all.

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2001, 07:58 PM

I what DVD's on a wim too...

And I also watch about a DVD a day as I work in a Blockbuster part-time

Booting into OS 9 is a pain esp if I am doing other things....

I want a DVD player I can just about live without but I would love a DVD player pls Apple

Cheers Edd

Professor X
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2001, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by dymanohum:
<STRONG>I have not figured out how to bring my home entertainment system on a plane yet, so I use my laptop to play disney movies for my three year old ( they just don't have inflight movies for kids ) this keeps the "are we there yets" to a minimum.

</STRONG>
I hear you about the little ones... the X kids love to watch their barney (it's amazing how you can develope a natural deafness towards braney
-Prof X
icebook 500/DVD 9500 200

www.macanonymous.com

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2001, 06:38 AM

The problem is, Macs are constantly hailed as an example of extremly good hardware/software integration. Limited range of hardware, even fewer choices regarding what will be included on the computer you buy, but the knowledge that they will work together well. Unlike the PC side of things, there aren't countless numbers of possible configurations, hardware vedors and specs.

Mac users sacrifice choice for the reasonable assurance that the functionality will be there when they turn on the box.

Now, with OS X, Apple has failed to provide the software required to support the hardware that comes with the machine. Months after the release of OS X, not only are there bugs and speed issues, important functionality is still missing.

The much talked about advantages of Apple "making the whole widget" seem to have gone out the window. What good is it when Apple cannot support the hardware it sells?

Craig R. Arko
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2001, 08:14 AM

Dr. G: love that autoresponder... LOL

Forum Links
Forum Rules