Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Text editor/word processor with full screen ability?

Text editor/word processor with full screen ability?
monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2004, 06:56 PM

Is there any such program with full screen capabilities? By this i mean something akin to preview's full screen mode but enabling you to type as well.

So far all I have found is Ulysses. It is good, but I'd rather have some text formatting ability while I type, which goes against the concept of this program.

Is it just me who finds the idea of the text taking over the whole screen attractive (i.e. no distractions)?

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2004, 01:04 AM

Word has a full-screen view setting - it just hides all the toolbars and whatnot, leaving the menu bar and other applications & the dock visible (of course you could hide all of those too.

That's probably not what you're looking for, but it's something.
cpac

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2004, 04:15 AM

I really don't see the use of taking up the whole screen. Usually I find it useful to have several windows visible at once. If that's what you want to do, though, just take the lower-right corner of the window and drag.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2004, 04:57 AM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
I really don't see the use of taking up the whole screen.
The point is if you just want to concentrate on writing, a minimally cluttered interface with just a white paper and a scrollbar can be helpful.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

monkeybrain  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2004, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
The point is if you just want to concentrate on writing, a minimally cluttered interface with just a white paper and a scrollbar can be helpful.
Yes, this is it exactly. Give Ulysses a go: http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/12230 to see what I mean. It presents the document on a black screen with orangey text and removes all superfluous distractions. I think it is a very clean and pleasant environment for writing.

But I also want some level of formatting, i.e. italics, bold etc (ideally I'd like to be able to add footnotes as well, but that seems to be wishful thinking for everything apart from Word and Mellel).

Forum Links
Forum Rules