Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Constantly changing desktop icon

Constantly changing desktop icon
monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2004, 07:29 AM

I'm putting this in here because I guess it's more likely people in here would have encountered this problem, although it could probably also go in the Mac OS X forum.

I used the latest candybar to change all my icons, but my desktop keeps reverting to a folder in the Finder sidebar. A repair of permissions always corrects it, but I have to actually do this daily. The file it repairs is something to do with the filesystem.

What I really want to know is if this could be symptomatic of something else? or just an annoying bug. I'm running 10.3.4 by the way, 10.3.5 gives be no end of sleep issues (literally actually the computer won't spin down so I can't get to sleep!)

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2004, 02:44 AM

i don't know if it's CandyBar, but i had a similar problemo with icons randomly changing, and getting all b0rked & jumbled.

might be some werid random thing? you could try resetting all of your icons, repairing permissions etc, then put your icons back on?

smeger
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 10:45 AM

If you're using Labels X and its not the most recent release, that would explain it - older releases had a bug that would cause this in a 100% repeatable fashion.

But it's also just a general OS X bug, regardless of whether you had the bad Labels X installed or not. It's sporadic if you're not using LX.

A possible, but not guaranteed fix is to quit all running apps, delete the file at <your home directory>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sidebarlists.plist and then log out and back in again.

This will reset your sidebar items to their default state, so you'll need to set them up how you want them to be again afterwards. Not sure if this will fix things, but it's worth a shot.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

monkeybrain  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 11:35 AM

Cheers, I'll try that. I found a very short thread in Mac OS X forum, I think this may just be another silly Finder bug.

Forum Links
Forum Rules