Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OGG to MP3 on Mac?

OGG to MP3 on Mac?
powerdafuture
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2005, 01:10 AM

Is there any converter that works for mac?

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 02:08 AM

If you are somewhat adventurous and have wxPython installed with pyogg and pyvorbis and Fink then you can install mbox. (Yeah, not ideal)

You might also try building Vorbis Tools.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs...rbistools.html

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2005, 06:18 AM

For the record, wxPython is included in Tiger (as well as Tkinter), so if you're running 10.4 that part isn't an issue anymore. You do still need to get pyogg and pyvorbis yourself, though.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

nuggetman
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2005, 09:07 AM

OGG to MP3? That's a lossy compression to a lossy compression. The result will sound like ass.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2005, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by nuggetman
OGG to MP3? That's a lossy compression to a lossy compression. The result will sound like ass.
Yeah; I've got to admit, I'm not sure why the original poster is trying to do this.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Fusion
Senior User
Jun 9, 2005, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Yeah; I've got to admit, I'm not sure why the original poster is trying to do this.
Probably just has some music in OGG that he wants to listen to in iTunes without plugins. You could always convert it to a lossless method, but then you end up with a big filesize and still a compressed song. If it's not that important of a song, maybe its just worth it to convert it to mp3?

Having the original source would be ideal, but I am guessing he does not in this case.

VxWolfxV
Jun 9, 2005, 01:33 PM

There is an ogg plugin for quicktime that will allow you to import ogg files into itunes. Then you can convert it to whatever itunes allows you to...

http://www.illadvised.com/~jordy/

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2005, 02:35 PM

You cant convert a multimedia container (Ogg) to an audio stream (MP3).

But you can convert the audio stream inside the Ogg file to MP3. The process depends what codec its compressed with:
* Ogg Vorbis - decode with oggdec, then encode with lame (not recommended since they are both lossy formats).
* Ogg FLAC - decode with flac, then encode with lame (FLAC is lossless, so there will be no additional quality loss).

The tools in bold are all command line applications, but you might find a gui to use.

Forum Links
Forum Rules