Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Macs in the Media > @mac.com ads on FOX Monday night

@mac.com ads on FOX Monday night
TimeFrog
Oct 23, 2000, 10:36 PM

The commercial has lots of different people saying their email addresses.
[email protected]@mac.com...etc.
There is an iMac at the end of it.

Also in the ads for the new shows this season there are loads of ibook and PowerBook products.
This night entertainment was brought to you by Apple!

MacNN Staff
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2000, 12:51 AM

Name: Justin Resuello
Subject: -= New Apple Ad =-
Timestamp: Tuesday, October 24, 2000, 12:34am

I was watch the season premire of Ally McBeal... On the 23rd of October during the 9.15pm commercial segment... It began with a bunch of widescreen videos of people in street clothing in various settings saying something like...

I'm [email protected].
I'm [email protected].
I'm [email protected].

There were a bunch of people. Maybe 10 people that said their mac.com eMail address on TV. Then it cut to a widescreen shot of an indigo iMac rotating. Then there was a voice over that said something like...

These are just a few of the millions of Mac users connected to the Internet.

Then it ended with an indigo Apple logo on the ribbed iMac and Think different.

I guess Apple is starting to market itself differently. I'm not sure if this is a very rapid response to the MacWEEK article about Apple's advertising; however, it does market the ease of getting on the Internet with a Macintosh. And, it backs it up with proof. Proof from the general public. I checked the Apple website to see if the ad was up (yet), but it is not. Maybe you guys can find it. =) It'd a wonderful ad. Simple and to-the-point.

Well... Apple... I hope they're getting the message that looks isn't everything... They need to do some real advertising. What ever happened to Snail. Toasted. And real ads that were hard-hitting. We need to PROVE that Mac's are better. No more fuzzy, I look better crap. Apple, get the message.

Anyway, the ad is a beginning, but that doesn't tell me why I should buy a Mac. Tell me why I *need* a Mac. That's even harder, but Apple... If you can make beautiful products and "squeeze a computer down to 1/4 its size," I'm sure you can make some ads that really deliver a message that isn't targeted at the users that you already have. Let's rally the troops and make ads to make converts. In fact... That should be the new tagline at the end of the ad.

"An ad to make converts."

Well... Maybe not. Think different is fine.

I'm [email protected].

MacNN Staff
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2000, 12:52 AM

Tonight during Alley McBeal I viewed a new Apple commercial touting 4
million iMac users on line. It shows people announcing their email address
@mac.com. Ending with the tag that there are 4 million iMac users on line.

It's about time we see something more than just pretty colors and zippy
mice.
--
Thanks,
Skip

Pants
Oct 24, 2000, 01:34 AM

Indeed, staff! Foolish Apple, relying on those stupid, ineffetive ads targetted at novices that kept the company profitable for years in a row! We should go back to the brilliant, hard-hitting Snail ad. We KNOW it's a success because Apple lost 700 million dollars that year.

Chiat/Day is out. This forum is in.

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2000, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by Pants:
Indeed, staff! Foolish Apple, relying on those stupid, ineffetive ads targetted at novices that kept the company profitable for years in a row! We should go back to the brilliant, hard-hitting Snail ad. We KNOW it's a success because Apple lost 700 million dollars that year.

Chiat/Day is out. This forum is in.
heh, cynic

AAPl Shareholder
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2000, 02:25 AM

Apple should put a mullet hair cut on a sage iMac and run some ads with that. They could target those mullet hunters that have yet to check all of the great mullet web sites.

the mullet is a powerfull tool. I heard steve was going to get one http://www.pkelleher.com/news.html
"Wait, these aren't my lamps. These lamps have feet. This must not be my apartment. I'd better get a new apartment."
-SpaceGhost

citoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2000, 02:35 AM

I think this ad first appeared Sunday night durring the ABC showing of Lion King II. http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru...ML/000252.html

Hmmm . . . Apple and Disney

------------------
ChangeIsTheOnlyConstant
"For once timid traveler, be careless and utterly lose your way." -Rabindranath Tagore

Baumi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2000, 06:16 AM

Originally posted by Pants:
We should go back to the brilliant, hard-hitting Snail ad. We KNOW it's a success because Apple lost 700 million dollars that year.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the snail ad show up some 2 or 3 quarters AFTER that record low when Apple was beginning to get back on track with the G3.

I think it was even after "Think Different" had been introduced and was already done by Chiat/Day.

Baumi
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/L dpu s:- a- C+++ UL P++ L++ E W+++ N+
o K- w-- O M++ V-
PS++ PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5- X-
R tv+ b++ DI++ D++ G e+ h+ r++ y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2000, 07:24 AM

Has anyone tried to send an e-mail to anyone of those people?

------------------
CLOWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

themotor
Oct 24, 2000, 01:54 PM

I saw this as well -- i'ts a good ad.
I'm pleased to see Apple finally advertising on FOX. It's definitely a start in the right direction.

The Wolfe
Oct 24, 2000, 03:49 PM

More great posting from 'Pants'...

Sure, Apple lost 700 million in 1998 - just go ahead and believe that.

Chiat/Day is the best advertiseing agency around, who better than to market Apple?

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Oct 31, 2000, 01:12 PM

This new ad is now available on Apple's website:

http://www.apple.com/hardware/ads/imacusers.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules