Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacOS 9 and Adaptec 2940UW - doesn't work!

MacOS 9 and Adaptec 2940UW - doesn't work!
griffd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 1999, 12:17 PM

This is on my beige G3. I'm using the latest firmware version from adaptec. The OS installs fine, but I go to restart and it hangs at the MacOS 9 splash screen almost immedietly (no extensions have a chance to load). The odd thing is, disabling extensions allows me to start-up. Changing the startup disk to another drive with OS9 on it doesn't work either - it ignores that drive and boots off the UW drive with the same symptoms. The only way im able to boot up in OS9 successfully (with extensions) is by pulling the card! Note that there are no third party extensions installed; i did a clean installation (and zapped the PRAM). Please, if you have any ideas, let me know.

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 1999, 06:31 PM

All I know is this: MacOS 9.0 is working fine with my Adaptec 2940UW in a PowerCenter Pro 210. (Stock, aside from the addition of a few hard drives.)

I'd advise you to call Adaptec for help... you'll need your card's serial number in order to get tech support--they won't touch it unless you've got a serial number. (And you'd think that having the card would be proof enough!)

richiem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 1999, 02:05 PM

I have a Adaptec-2940UW running to two 4.5 Gb fast/wide drives in my B&W G3. It works very well.

Make sure you have undated the flash rom to 4.1 avaiable from Adapted and PowerControl 5.0 application (which lives in the Control Panels folder.

This card has not been an issue for me, although I can't seem to boot from it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules