Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Greedy OS 9.1

Greedy OS 9.1
anthonycody
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2001, 11:52 AM

Last night my iBook started cogitating for some reason, and the OS seems to be using more and more RAM the longer the thing is on. It starts out at 60 mb when you boot up, then it climbs to over 70. And it sounds like it is working when the applications are idle, like it is in some kind of a feedback mode. I was using Acrobat Distiller, Pagemaker 6.5, Acrobat 4.0, and MSWord 2001.

Is this kind of RAM usage normal? It seems high to me. I have 320 loaded on the iBook, so I can still work, but the constant cogitation is irritating.

Thanks.

------------------
anthonycody
anthonycody

muttfree
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2001, 05:21 PM

If you mean 60MB for the OS, yes that is high......, but with those apps running + the OS, no thats not that high......

Do you have VM on or off ? With 320MB of real ram, you should not need it, but if you have it on, just check to make sure that is only set to 321MB, and also that it is targeted to a different HD/partition from where the appplications are installed on. The apps you listed are all heavy ram users, but Word (and most MS apps) are known to cause bad memory fragmentation, so if you HAVE to use them, just get used to it....

and get more ram soon, while it is cheap
You can have me mac when u pry me cold, dead fingas off da mothabowd :eek:

DocWest
Senior User
Mar 11, 2001, 09:29 PM

I wouldn't be concerned of the high memory use - you've got 320 and that's stacks.

I'd be more worried about the working sound when idle.
though i don't know what to do about it

anthonycody  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2001, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the responses. I just have this feeling that the longer the computer is running, the higher the demand for RAM from the OS. I am out using the wife's G4 double processor, and OS 9.1 on her machine is drawing 43 mb.

I don't care that much about the RAM since I have plenty. I just wonder why it is working so hard when it is just sitting there. It sounds like it is thinking away after it starts up, before I even have any apps running.

------------------
anthonycody
anthonycody

AirSluf
Senior User
Mar 12, 2001, 01:34 AM

60 MB for the system isn't high. It all depends on your extensions set. My general purpose, do anything don't need max speed set runs around 75-80Mb normally. I have plenty of RAM though so I am not concerned with that overhead. If you are running minimal extensions the usage should be significantly less.

Also double check your Sherlock settings, it may be indexing your hard drive on an automatic schedule. Did the 'book start cogitating at midnight perhaps??? That's the factory default time setting for auto indexing.

[This message has been edited by AirSluf (edited 03-12-2001).]

Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2001, 07:19 AM

re: OS memory usage

if you watch memory usage (in the 'About this Computer' window), you'll find that opening and closing other apps changes the system memory usage. And not all of it is recovered when the app is closed.

I observe this with 9.0.4 and it sounds like its similar with 9.1.

You'll use a lot let mem for OS if you turn VM *on*.
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

Forum Links
Forum Rules