Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > DSL and Macintosh....Hell !!

DSL and Macintosh....Hell !!
Mr_Frost
Mar 11, 2001, 06:34 PM

I use Enternet 300 on my G4/400 DSL . Everytime I am connected and my computer crashes it takes about 5 hours untill I can reconnect. I think it's because on the providers server my alias from logging in isn't deleted propperly when my mac crashes thus their server thinks I am allready (still) connected. Is theere anything I can do about this or do I have to contact my provider? (and be on hold for about 4 hours because they only have one person that's qualified to handle a REAL computer) Thanks in advance

AirSluf
Senior User
Mar 12, 2001, 01:24 AM

My similar problem wasn't as severe, maybe only 10 min or so. But I hate Enternet with a passion. It caused all kinds of problems and may be causing some of your crashes as well. I went out and got a DSL router, no more problems. If I crash, the router doesn't care, it stays connected.

You have more options now. You could wait and jump on OS X with it's PPoE support, get a DSL router, or an Airport basestation with Airport 1.3 is supposed to do PPoE too.

error404ts
Mar 12, 2001, 01:59 AM

I keep hearing about routers and DSL and am intrigued. What are the costs, what do they do, is a connection faster with one?

I use Earthlink and MacPoET and really don't have many problems. Minor ones like - sometimes after disconnecting I reconnect only to find that the connection isn't "real", and not able to get to a web page. That's about it.

When I have a crash and encounter the problem related to the original post all I have to do is cut the power to the DSL modem for a few seconds and then reconnect. The problem is instantly solved since my connection is briefly severed. It's a trick I learned from working on PCs at work and encountering network problems.... I think it's like hitting the reset switch.

Whatever. Good luck!

Mr_Frost
Mar 12, 2001, 02:41 AM

Thanks for the help....MacOsX has allready been pre-ordered so...guess I'm safe now...:-) (I sure hope so)

Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2001, 07:42 AM

I don't know about DSL, but my cable modem (roadrunner) never blinks about reconnecting (via ethernet to airport) if any of my machines goes down. Instant connection/reconnection - always -

And (amazingly) the rr 800 number *knew* exactly to help when I had Mac setup questions at first.

And my point is? "Contacting the DSL provider" might not be such an awful thing to do. At least RR pleasantly surprised.

I'm looking at RR for office just because they support the Mac so well (and work so reliably - at least in our area)
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

Mr_Frost
Mar 12, 2001, 08:39 AM

Contact the DSL provider...have done that before , geeeeez. They probably think I'm talking about a piece of fruit I's get cable to if they only had it available in my street. 300 meters down the road isn't a problem but here..nooooo. ah well...

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2001, 08:49 PM

I use to use MacPoET. That was really aweful and hogged every bit of CPU for a stupid DSL connection...

Then I tried Enternet. I couldn't even get the program to launch without crashing.

Now I use a MacSense XSense router MIH-130 and don't even need AppleTalk on anymore. However, OS X
will support PPPoE built-in, so that may also be an alternative for you.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Forum Links
Forum Rules