Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > G3 beige OS X installation..

G3 beige OS X installation..
mrsync
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2001, 10:16 AM

So there I was trying to install OS X..from my original CD...

1. I couldn't get it to actually work in the startup disk...finally worked..don't know what I did..it worked ok!

2. I restarted...A white screen came up.. some weird symbol and then : Unknow Word

3. I restarted again...now a white screen with instructions to type BOOT or Bye (to go to 9.1) - niether of which worked..(followed by hit <return>

4. I restarted again...White screen..Unknown Word. (I am now saying many known words!)

5. Rip all pci cards out...ata66 ...USB... ATI Rage 128

6. Restarted...again...Unknown Word (I was using many known words...#$!^*&&&!)!

7. Ok..unplugged the normal ide drive (internal ide bus) -incedently where a new version of 9.1 and X were supposed to be installed..(I only got as far as 9.1...

8. Tried restarting with no hd's...just the cd...what the fack! Again...unknown word. (9.1 cd)

9. Baffled!

10. Put back my pci cards with the good ata 66 drive...(Quantum LM)

11. WHITE FREEKIN SCREEN AGAIN! Unknown Word..(Totally freaking out around now!)

12. Press the reset on the board...restart..W-screen / Unkownword...Shut down and press the reset for a while...finally...my drive and system is back.

13. Any one get this to work on a biege G3 266 tower rev B. (ATI Pro Plus chip) 2 drive ide support)??? (I do have an upgraded processor though..458mhz..) 384mb RAM...

Thanks...and good luck!

Gregg
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2001, 10:38 AM

Here's a link with some discussion on this, and another link from there...
http://www.techsurvivors.com/ubb/For...ML/001787.html
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

mrsync  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2001, 02:53 PM

Holy f&*#! I made it work...I don't even understand how it can be possibly working? Even my damn usb pci card works...this is screwed! hehe..happy X user now...hehe..still needs some work though...alot of small errors: mostly text chopped off and crap like that...ok Adobe...Macromedia...give me some apps! (please!)

Funny because it's got 2 button mouse support built in! (My biege microsoft optical mouse at that!) Possibley 3...hard to say..I must go to work!

; ]

your mom
Mar 27, 2001, 03:09 PM

just installed it on my beige 266. holy sh-t it is slow!!! really unbarealble... fu-k apple.. this was supposed to be an UPGRADE......

mrsync  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2001, 04:30 PM

Actually it was really quick on my 458mhz 1mb backside cache..I would sugguest that the 1mb backside is important for g3 - beiges working quickly in MacOS X..I will be sure to try and find the best settings possible but it all seems semi-new to me. (been on a mac since my MacPlus..LC475...etc.)

It seemed to boot real fast. Good luck to the most of us as this is gonna be a crazy ride!

Forum Links
Forum Rules