Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MAC Mini Monitor Dell or Apple?

MAC Mini Monitor Dell or Apple?
pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2006, 03:00 PM

I'm looking for a decent 20"+ monitor for my MAC mini and the Dell e228wfp is tempting at $299CAN. However one review I read from a user stated they look terrible on a MAC? Any feedback is much appreciated. I love the Apple 20" LCD but ... pretty pricey at $799CAN.

Many thanks to all.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2006, 03:08 PM

It's unlikely that any monitor which looks good on a PC will look terrible on a Mac ... unless by "look" they mean aesthetics. If $'s are more important to you than aesthetics, get the Dell.

glennk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2006, 05:39 PM

I'd get a Dell...Keep an eye on the coupon sites. Dell sales stunk this year, so after Christmas sales are on the way. I've owned a 20.1" wide screen Dell for 2 years now...no dead pixels and no problems whatsoever. Screen is precise, but not as bright as an Apple product. But, you'll save $$$ with the Dell. Don't recommend a warranty longer than a 3 year. Why? These monitors are dropping so fast in price, if it breaks buy another...plus, today's 20" (pricewise) will be tomorrow's 30".

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2006, 07:19 PM

It's Mac not MAC

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 24, 2006, 07:57 PM

Go for features versus price. Remember that Apple does not create every component of ANY product it sells, and LCDs are a BIG area where almost nobody makes their own. Both Dell and Apple buy LCD screens and put them into their own cases with their own tweaks and drivers. As long as you don't get some way under spec'ed, low-resolution monitor, it won't look bad at all. I'd look at what my video card was capable of and get a monitor to match, and ignore the brand on the case.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2006, 09:53 PM

Dell. No way the Apple monitor is worth the extra 500 bucks.

As long as you use DVI, you shouldn't see any big difference.

-t

Parvez
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2006, 10:19 PM

I would say get the DELL monitor and you won't regret the $$ you spent. I got the same monitor and it's awesome.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 24, 2006, 10:32 PM

It seems that my low-key endorsement of Dell was too low key. Apple charges a premium for their displays, and often that extra cost is for cool styling. Given the limitations of my Dell FP171 (much lower resolution than my MBP), it looks fine when I plug the MBP into it. It's odd switching to a non-widescreen display, but it still looks good.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Dec 25, 2006, 12:11 AM

The Dell 2007WFP is a rather awesome 20" widescreen if you ask me. Looks awesome and is only $359 right now! I wouldn't pay more for the Apple one.
iMac G4 / Macbook

pilotdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2006, 02:08 AM

I have a Dell 24" that I have been quite happy with. I really like having the card reader slots on the side and use the extra USB ports too.

mossvine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2007, 07:43 PM

I actually purchased the Dell e228wfp as a potential replacement for my Apple 20" Cinema Display. I was curious as to what you could get for under $300, and how well it would perform versus a monitor that costs more than twice as much. I connected the Dell e228wfp to my MacBook, which I believe has the Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics (I was also thinking about using the new Dell monitor on my Mac Mini).

After I setup the e228wfp on my MacBook, one thing became very apparent, the Dell is an inferior display when compared to the Cinema Display. Text/fonts were a bit fuzzy, color gradients were not pronounced, and frankly after spending half a day trying to adjust the display settings, I gave up and went back to the Cinema Display. This was not a huge surprise, but I frankly expected a bit more out of the e228wfp given that its specs are very similar to the Cinema Display.

The Dell was overly bright (I tried several adjustments based on recommendations I found on the web - use factory settings, change colors to 100% each, try Brightness Control from splasm, tried to calibrate myself, etc). Nothing seemed to get me close to the quality of the Cinema Display.

I then installed the Dell e228wfp on a PC running XP, and it looked great. the 23" widescreen looks really nice on PC. I don't want to paint an entirely negatively picture of the e228wfp on a Mac, as I would give the monitor a B- rating when compared to the Cineman Display. If your looking for a good (but not great monitor) for your Mac, then the Dell is a decent choice.

Happy hunting !

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 16, 2007, 08:08 PM

mossvine, basing an overall assessment of "Dell monitors" on ONE purchase is disingenuous. I have two Dells right now, and the one I'm looking at works great as an external monitor for my MacBook Pro. I have yet to see a "fuzzy" Dell monitor that was run at its native resolution. And most of what I read about the E228WFP is that it is an "entry" level widescreen monitor, hardly something to compare to Apple's Cinema Displays.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2007, 08:37 PM

Are you using the e228wfp on DVI or VGA?

G5power
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2007, 09:36 PM

The Dell monitor for the price is a great addition to the Mini.

However regardless of the brand, make sure you use DVI. An LCD without DVI is not worth the investment.

My personal experience is using the Dell 2405 with the Mini and I am very happy with the results.
Mini 1.66GHz - 2GB RAM - Superdrive - 80GB internal - 500GB external
G5 2.3GHz - 5 GB RAM - ATI 9650
Dell 2405

mossvine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2007, 02:08 PM

I was merely comparing the Dell e228wfp to the 20" Cinema Display (i buy tons of Dell - with Dell monitors - for my office ... )

I used the DVI cable to connect the MacBook to the e228wfp (did not try the VGA cable).

I ran across this review recently, and it's worth reading if you are in the market for a Mac Display,
http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2400 . The review compares the 20" Cinema Display to the Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW (the latest rev at Dell is 2007FPW). They both use the same Phillips LCD panel, and the article does a good job of comparing the two, basically saying go with the Dell b/c it's cheaper (it's under $400). It's interesting in that the Apple Cinema Displays have less circuitry than the Dell, but are essentially twice the price.

I've offloaded the e228wfp to my brother, so it found a happy (Windows) home.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2007, 05:39 PM

The Dell 20" and the Apple 20" use EXACTLY the same screen, and the Dell is wayyyyy cheaper. I'll let you decide...
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2007, 10:24 PM

I upgraded my Apple 20" to a Dell 24" for about the same price (sold the Apple on ebay, and the difference was like $20) and it's great - I just don't look down at the bezel too much.

holocron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2007, 12:18 PM

if the Mac Cinema Display uses the same screen why are the specs different?

response time, dot pitch, contrast ratio, etc.

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2007, 12:10 AM

I have a 1.8ghz intel mini as " getting my feet wet" into intel mac. I look at umpteen # of 20+" monitor and decided on ACD 20" for the following reasons:

1) It is made for mac.
2) Extra fw ports which you will need for your mini. ( only one fw port and can not take expansion card)
3) Shop around and find the difference for that quality 1680x1050 diplay is <$100.
4) It simply looks great.
5) my 8 yo 23" ACD still in perfect condition.
6) DVI is the future not VGA or related crap.

Go with ACD you will not regret it.
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2007, 08:50 AM

I'm rocking a few year old Dell UltraSharp 2001fp.

I don't get the widescreen love, but 1600x1200 is still cool.

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

Forum Links
Forum Rules