Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Freaked out by this sudden alarm!!!

Freaked out by this sudden alarm!!!
TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2007, 10:51 PM

Here's my concern, it has only happened twice in the three years that I have owned my Snow White G3 iBook - 30GB Hard Drive with 12.87GB available, 612Mgb RAM and I am running OSX 10.2.8 Jaguar. It just happened a couple nights ago when I was attempting to open a .mpg video file, a shade is pulled down over the screen, the screen locks and a rather alarming warning appears; 'You must restart your computer immediately! Push and hold the power button to restart your computer!' No explanation of an error or anything, just the direction to immediately restart my computer. Anyone have this happen??? Could it have been that the .mpg video file was corrupted and that triggered this lockdown and alarm??? Could this have done any other damage to my Mac??? Kinda freaked out about it. Thank you for any and all help. Peac out.
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2007, 11:04 PM

That's a kernel panic. Think of it as the equivalent of a Windows bluescreen.

Generally a sign of software (OS/apps) corruption or hardware failure/flakyness.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2007, 12:17 AM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

TheZee  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2007, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the heads up and info regarding Kernel Panics. That is exactly what it was that had me freaked. I take that after restarting, the computer resolves whatever issue caused the Kernel Panic to occur??? Not something to be overly concerned about unless they are happening frequently right ???
Thanks again, YOU ROCK !!!
Peace out . . .
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2007, 09:51 AM

No, the computer does not resolve anything. It just starts again.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by TheZee View Post

Thanks for the heads up and info regarding Kernel Panics. That is exactly what it was that had me freaked. I take that after restarting, the computer resolves whatever issue caused the Kernel Panic to occur??? Not something to be overly concerned about unless they are happening frequently right ???
Thanks again, YOU ROCK !!!
Peace out . . .
On a properly running system Kernel Panics are a rare event. They aren't a thing to be concerned over unless, as you said, they start happening with some frequency. If that occurs, then there's a problem with your system that you need to try to fix.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules