Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Network Monitoring

Network Monitoring
NDBounce
Senior User
Jan 10, 2008, 12:21 PM

I am currently running a shared internet connection from my Mac. Is there a way I can monitor who is connecting to my shared network as well as what those who are using the connection are doing.

Also, on a similar note, is there a utility/tool that can give me stats such as how much bandwidth is being used, connection speed, etc?

Thank you,

O
B unce!

TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2008, 04:24 AM

Check these free sites out. Each site gives you free stats on your current connection speed and other valuable info like that. Good way to keep your internet provider on its toes. Especially if they guarantee a certain connection rate.
http://www.dslreports.com/stest
http://www.dsl-speed.org/test.htm
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 13, 2008, 10:31 AM

The big thing is that to see what's going in and out you need to be able to look directly at the primary router-and maybe the modem as well. Whether you can do this effectively or not often depends on the specific hardware you have-most consumer grade networking hardware doesn't provide management functionality. For example, the most my Linksys BEFSR41 wired router gives me is the ability to send incoming/outgoing log data to a particular IP... For Linksys' more advanced routers, such as the WRT54G series, there is third party firmware that may give you more management functionality (but I haven't looked into it).

For what it's worth, just about every U.S. DSL modem is actually a "modem/router", meaning that in many cases you can log into that and perhaps get more or better information about the connection that way-depending on what the device offers, of course. In theory my rather old Westell 516 modem can be managed that way, but I've never actually gotten into it to see what it offers.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

NDBounce  (op)
Senior User
Jan 13, 2008, 12:19 PM

Perhaps I was unclear. I am using my Mac as the router, by going into System Pref's and turning on Internet Sharing. I just want to monitor to see who is connecting, what my speed is, and make sure nothing illegal/unethical is being done by those connected.

Thank you

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2008, 08:02 PM

EtherPeek will let you see whatever is hitting your wireless network (monitor en1 usually), or you can use a command line tool like TCPDump (I'm out of my depth here, I'm sure others an elaborate).

I hate the idea but you could close your wireless network to remove the issue. Or require a WPA password. Just a thought.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 13, 2008, 08:24 PM

Yep, I missed your point completely. It looks like dimmer has pointed out a pretty good tool to start with.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2008, 10:15 PM

You can also use the free five "thing" version of Intermapper if your router supports SNMP. You will get a lot of follow-up calls tempting you to buy the whole thing, but it's a very nice application.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2008, 10:18 PM

can give me stats such as how much bandwidth is being used

There was an OS 9 App that could d this: CyberGauge maybe? Activity Monitor will show you this data so share your internet connection and use that to get an idea.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2008, 10:20 PM

I left out putting your Mac into thenetwork as the router in that last comment. Silly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules