Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Memory, which one to increase ?

Memory, which one to increase ?
ethan79
Nov 4, 2001, 02:53 PM

Hi all,

Recently, I am faced the need to open multiple applications at one go, such as Internet explorer, itunes ( to listen to music as i type my reports ), microsoft word and ICQ.

Here comes, the problem, everything become laggy, that is still fine with me, but when the Inter Explorer 5 become laggy, it is getting irritating.

There is the (1) Suggested memory, (2) Minimum memory and (3) Preferred memory, which one of these do i change (increase) for the internet explorer to allow the application to run fast, such as the switching of windows

Internet is already a slow and painful process and when the browser is laggy also, it kills !

Suggestions ??

Thank you very much.

Grozni Majmun
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2001, 06:01 PM

If you increase the setting in preferred memory, the system will allocate more memory (if available) to that program. That might make the program go faster. Suggested memory you cannot change. Usually you shouldn't mess with the minimum memory setting.

It may be that your problems are related to not having enough physical memory (RAM). What information do you get when you choose "about this computer" from the apple menu while all these programs are open? Maybe post a screenshot of that dialog box.
Anyway, if you switch to OS X, the system will take care of all of this for you.

pscates
Nov 4, 2001, 06:32 PM

With memory being SO dirt cheap (and with all of Apple's current machines making it VERY easy to install RAM), there should be NO ONE out there without plenty of RAM.

You can never have too much, I suppose. But with all Macs now shipping with 128MB, not adding AT LEAST another 128MB to that, for a total of 256MB, is almost insane.

Give yourself plenty of headroom to run because, let's face it: apps aren't getting any smaller or less power/RAM hungry. Hell, even the most low-rung, cheeseball freeware apps and utilities suck on RAM like there's no tomorrow.

Anyone still in OS 9 (where you have to physically allocate RAM to each app in the Get Info box) and wanting to run Explorer, an e-mail app, iTunes, Word, AIM, Quicken, etc. all at the same time should have no less than 256MB, in my opinion. Especially since it is so affordable now. If you can fork out $800-3500 for a new Mac, you can certainly squeeze out another $30-50 for a boatload of RAM.

That's just if you're a regular, non-graphics Mac user, using apps like the ones above. If you're making a living (or a very serious hobby) with Photoshop and the like, then you know all too well the importance of packing in as much RAM and giving yourself that nice "running room". Being able to have Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, ATM Deluxe, Acrobat, etc. all up and running at the same time is a huge boost in productivity and efficiency.

But OS X is so nice because it handles all that stuff on its own. It's so nice to have a nice chunk of RAM (384MB at home, 640MB at work) and not have to fool with allocating RAM for each application.

But whether you're in 9 or X (or whether you're a stone beginner, basic office/Internet app user OR king daddy graphics geek), you'll benefit from - and appreciate - plenty of RAM.

I can't stress that enough.

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: pscates ]

ethan79  (op)
Nov 5, 2001, 10:45 AM

Hi all,

Thanks alot, guess i should go and purchase some rams to boost up the efficiency...

But why does Mac needs so much RAM unlike windows where usually 128 MB of ram is sufficient to run all applications ??

Thank you all !!

Ethan

Forum Links
Forum Rules