Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Overclocking a new iBook?

Overclocking a new iBook?
Flight
Dec 23, 2000, 10:38 PM

http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~t-imai/ibooke1.html

Does this still apply? Or do the new iBooks prevent this, somehow?

Flight

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Dec 24, 2000, 01:15 AM

The logic board in the new iBooks is the same, so yes this should still apply... of course i am assuming this from the fact that the rev A 'books had the FW traces so the logic board must be identical.

I wouldnt overclock the new iBooks... from what i've heard they already run at 130? which is just borderline. Mine runs at 130? MAX and Ive overclocked it from 300 to 366. The new iBooks should be fast enough already... I wouldnt clock 'em.

s i n e
-''-..-
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

ethan79
Dec 24, 2000, 07:03 AM

Ermm ... can the experts explain to me what does overclock means ?
what is the use of doing it ?
and how to do it ...

thank you all MACsters out there !

iPaul UK
Senior User
Dec 24, 2000, 10:46 AM

It means that you have forced your processor to run faster that it was designed to. It also means it will run hotter. And in many cases, the computer might not work at all, and could be permanently damaged. To do this modification means taking your iBook apart and re-soldering some surface mount resistors. Which is a very difficult thing to do. Some people claimed to have taken their 300MHz iBooks right up to 400MHz, where as some other people can't even get their 300MHz iBooks to run at 366MHz. The latest iBook 466MHz SE is plenty fast enough as it is. Not to mention plenty hot enough! So it's best left well alone.

SmileyDude
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 24, 2000, 01:55 PM

sine - can you explain? 130 what?

if you are talking degrees, than you are way off... my 366 FW book is currently running at approx 50� F at the moment, and the highest I've seen is ~75�....

I was under the impression that the G3e was easier to overclock than older G3s due to the on die L2 cache.

I would be interested in modifying my 366 to run at 466... but I'm currently not brave enough to blaze a trail

------------------
dennis
dennis

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Dec 24, 2000, 04:46 PM

Yes I mean degrees.... and 50?F?? is that not below room temperature?

Mine runs anywhere from 87?F-138?F. I heard one person say they're 366 (indigo) runs at 120?F-130?F normally... so that what I based my statement on. Anyhow if your's really does run that cool... its very impressive. Btw, what kind of CPU is it (check in Guage Pro) Mine is a version 3 Copper chip.

s i n e
-''-..-
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2000, 02:38 AM

Well...why would you want to overclock such a nice chip, especailly a new one?

------------------

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2000, 12:41 PM

Exactly,
at least wait for the warranty to run out!

s i n e
-''-..-
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

SmileyDude
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2000, 06:03 PM

Ok, according to gauge pro, it's currently at 73� F... this is after running for an hour or two, playing games, hitting the web, playing a cd... for the first hour it was strictly battery... the second hour it's been plugged in, charging while i've been using it.

the cpu version is 2.2, according the gauge pro.

maybe i'm just lucky with the cpu I'll check it again tommorow.. I usually have it on all day at work... but i've never seen it above 75� or so

also, regarding the logic board, i believe apple had to rev the board... the original iBooks had too SO-DIMM slots, with the 32mb being in the bottom slot... apparently, the FW iBooks don't have the second slot, the memory is just on the logic board.

------------------
dennis
dennis

Flight
Dec 25, 2000, 06:55 PM

Oh, I wouldn't do it right away.....but some time down the road (maybe a year or two), I'll want to try it.....After I put in the 256 MB RAM and the 20 GB HD, the only thing left to do is overclock the cpu or replace the whole iBook.....

Flight

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2000, 10:37 PM

73???? thats very impressive

but regarding the mobo, the boards are identical on the rev A's and the new FW ibooks... the Rev A's have only one SO-Dimm slot as well, with 32MB on board.

s i n e
-''-..-
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

SmileyDude
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2000, 11:26 AM

Hmmm.... I could've swore that when the iBooks first came out that there was two slots... oh well, i guess that's my mistake

Maybe the temperature of my CPU is because of my location....

------------------
dennis
dennis

iPaul UK
Senior User
Dec 26, 2000, 09:49 PM

Don't mean to pee on anyones bonfire, but.. Some of those CPU temp apps don't work properly with the latest iBooks. I think it was Guage Pro that I once used.. It works fine on my iMac DVSE, but on my iBook 466, it said my CPU temp was just above freezing point! Obviously this wasn't right, so I junked the app and thought no more of it. 130' sounds more realistic..

I guess I or we should try some different apps and check results. I'm sure at least one of them is reasonably accurate on the new iBooks.

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2000, 11:31 PM

Well one thing, does the bottom of the iBook feel warm or hot when u run the machine on an insulator (such as a couch or bed)?

Cuz mine gets somewhat warm... not like hot just warm.

s i n e
-''-..-
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2000, 04:00 PM

While I am not suggesting that everyone run out and do this, I am typing this to you on an iBook overclocked from 300Mhz to 400Mhz and has been running fine for over a year. Runs MacOS X beta very well. My temperature runs about 47degrees celsius which is where the other person's reading came in.

As for overclocking always pushing chips faster than designed, this isn't always the case. For instance the '300' mhz chip in this iBook actually is stamped and ready to run at 333Mhz. At the time of release, the low end Powerbook ran at 333Mhz, so the iBook gets underclocked to 300Mhz. Now, Motorola makes every chip in the hopes that it can run at top speed. When it is tested then it is placed into the proper bin for speed. But, if there is more demand for 333Mhz chips (for the Powerbook of the time and the iBook) then 400Mhz chips, then some chips that can run faster are going to be sold as 333Mhz chips. It really doesn't cost Motorola anything more and allows them to keep up with demand. As their manufacturing process gets better, more processors will pass the higher benchmarks, but if the market doesn't move on then they still have to sell them as lower speed chips.

Sorry for the long explanation, but that is why some iBooks will overclock with ease, while others were borderline 333Mhz chips and can't be pushed past that point.

drewman

dagmar
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2000, 02:09 AM

In case you all don't know, Newertech has apparently just gone belly up. I just downloaded their latest version of Guage Pro onto my KL iBook SE, and it seems to work just fine with OS 9.0.4. I have my book on the kitchen table in our house with the temps turned down (65) for the evening, and it's got me running at about 73 degrees F, which seems about right. The app has a totally new look from the one I have had on my desktop G3 for a few months now, so I urge you all to check it out before the web site is gone.

dannyboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2000, 01:50 AM

Is there a safe estimate in how much you can overclock your processor depending on the temperature it's running at? I don't want to overclock my indigo ibook but I'm just curious. Plus, my ibook runs in the range of around 90-100 degrees F.

SmileyDude
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2001, 01:58 PM

Just an update... after watching with GaugePro for a few days, I've noticed that I can get my processor to run around 95-100�... but this is only after running SETI@home and playing MP3s in the background. After I stop SETI, the temp drops fairly quickly back to the 70s.

Maybe after the warranty runs out later this year, I'll think about overclocking it to 466

------------------
dennis
dennis

Forum Links
Forum Rules