Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Trouble printing.

Trouble printing.
ethan79
Jan 16, 2001, 11:09 AM

Hi ... i am a student and there is a need for me to print out pages from the internet as my lecture notes and tutorials are online.

However, today i have a problem. I am able to print from softwares in the harddisk like Appleworks. BUT, i am unable to print out pages FROM the internet websites. Whenever i try to print, the whole ibook will FREEZE. Even when i only click on Print Preview, the ibook also freezes. In short, as long as i try to print out internet sites, the ibook freeze.

Does anybody know what is the problem or can advice me on some methods to solve this problem? Why issit i can print from appleworks perfectly well, but hangs when i attempt to print internet sites ?

My ibook is 466 SE graphite,
Printer is Hewlett Packard Deskjet 640 C.

Thanks for the help !

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2001, 12:23 PM

Since you mention print preview I am going to assume you are using Internet Explorer - you didn't mention which browser in yoru e-mail.

Make sure you are running the latest version of Internet Explorer - the easiest way to find out is to go to www.microsoft.com/mac

Make sure you have the latest print drivers for your printer from HP.

Try switching to Netscape and see if you can print from there.

Come back if none of these gets you going...

drewman

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2001, 07:02 PM

As a workaround, you could go to the web page that you want to print. Select "Save As" from Internet Explorer's File menu. Pick a name and place to save the file, and choose "HTML" from the format box. Then you can open up this saved HTML page in AppleWorks and print from there. As for actually fixing the problem, try giving more memory to Internet Explorer as follows: 1. Find the Internet Explorer folder on your hard drive. 2. Click on IE's icon and select "Get Info" from the File menu. 3. Select "memory" from the pop up menu 4. Increase the numbers in the boxes there. Note: make sure that you have quit out of IE before doing this. Also, obviously, you cannot give more RAM to IE than you have available in your system. Try just a few MB at a time. Additional note: The numbers in that window are in KB, so each 1000 that you enter = 1 MB. Hope this helps!

ethan79  (op)
Jan 17, 2001, 09:52 AM

Hi ... drewman and supahcoolx ... thank you both for helping out ...

My apologies for leaving out the info on the browser i am using.
I am using I.E version 5.0

I am tried both the suggestions but to no avail.

I have increased the memory allocation to I.E by 10 mb .....
and the problem is still there.

I have also tried to save the website as a file and by working offline.
I am still unable to print. It seems that as long as i am attempting to print from the browser, be it online or offline. The system will hang.

So.... does the problem lies with the browser ????
Tink having a custom install of the I.E will solve the problem?
I will be doing a custom install later on and will be back with the results in case others facing the same problem can have a reference.

Thank you all for the fast response.

Oh ... by the way ... forget to mention, there is no problem printing using netscape Ver 4.7
therefore i conclude the problem lies with I.E.

[This message has been edited by ethan79 (edited 01-17-2001).]

ethan79  (op)
Jan 17, 2001, 10:41 AM

Hi ... i am back ... with no good news ....

i have tried custom install to reinstall the internet access ....
tried all kinds on installation but to no avail ...
i ran the microsoft internet self-help.
The results are still negative.

I am still unable to print from the I.E 5.
I have reboot the system more than 10 times trying out the installation and trying out to see whether i can print.

It is getting on my nerves. I prefer to use I.E as my primary browser over the use of Netscape. Is there any clue on what else i can try to make I.E start printing and not HANG when i attempt to print.

Since i have done a re-installation and still the problem persist.
Is it got to do with any extension files ?
or issit because of the printer drivers ?
well i got the printer 1.5 months ago from the supplier.
and it was apple technician that installed the printer for me ...
so there should not be any problem with the printer right ?
or there could me ?

Please advise me on what i can do.
Thank you.

ethan79  (op)
Jan 17, 2001, 11:49 AM

Presto !!! ... finally ... the problem is solved.

I am not sure what is the problem actually. But will state the steps i took to resolve the problem in case anyone else faces the same problem as me.

Initially i reinstalled the I.E 5, but to no avail. Then i used the Printer Software installer (the CD-rom that comes with the printer) to reinstall the printer driver. The problem is still not solved. ONLY when i went to the website of Hewlett Packard to download the latest version of the driver updates and patches, then the problem is solved. webiste is Http://www.hp.com

I tried the downloading because i read from somewhere there is a need to update the driver and patches as and when necessary. Although i still think there shouldn't be a need to do that as i got the printer from the apple supplier only 1.5 months ago.
But that is how i managed to solve the problem.

Now i can print Straight from I.E 5. and the ibook no longer hangs.

Hope it helps the needy out there.

[This message has been edited by ethan79 (edited 01-17-2001).]

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2001, 07:37 PM

HAHA.. you know, I can't believe we missed the most obvious answer, check for software updates. 99% of the time, peripheral problems are fixed with a simple driver update. Well, good to know that everything worked out OK

Forum Links
Forum Rules