Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.5.7 is out

10.5.7 is out (Page 2)
JKT
Professional Poster
May 15, 2009, 08:14 AM

Well, for me 2 out of 3 Macs went perfectly. The third didn't restart correctly as it failed at the first shut down following installation (where it oscillated between a blank blue screen and a blue screen with a spinning dial after the account had been logged out and stayed that way for well over half an hour; I had to force a shut down but it rebooted fine after that). The sad thing is, this was the Mac that should have given me least trouble as it barely has anything installed on it and no hacks of any kind whatsoever (my other two have MenuCracker installed to permit me to use a few menu bar items and that is it). Colour me confused

JKT
Professional Poster
May 15, 2009, 08:17 AM

Oops, slight mistake... I forgot that my Powerbook, for whatever reason, reindexed its Spotlight database afterwards too.

So 1 out of 3 Macs went perfectly, 1 went near perfectly, and 1 failed in a not so bad way, but not in a way that makes me feel any more confident about 10.5.

JellyBeen
Senior User
May 15, 2009, 10:47 AM

10.5.7 seems to have fixed my problem when waking from sleep. When I would wake from sleep, I would get a few applications start to freeze, my internet connection would get dropped and I would have to restart. After 5 sleep cycles, it has not happened yet. Thank you Apple!
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

ghporter
Administrator
May 15, 2009, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Well, for me 2 out of 3 Macs went perfectly. The third didn't restart correctly as it failed at the first shut down following installation (where it oscillated between a blank blue screen and a blue screen with a spinning dial after the account had been logged out and stayed that way for well over half an hour; I had to force a shut down but it rebooted fine after that). The sad thing is, this was the Mac that should have given me least trouble as it barely has anything installed on it and no hacks of any kind whatsoever (my other two have MenuCracker installed to permit me to use a few menu bar items and that is it). Colour me confused
That vacillating between blank and blue screens with the pinwheel sounds an awful lot like what I saw in my iMac's update. When I restarted the machine manually, it took a while, including giving me a notice that it was doing something about "rebuilding boot caches." I wonder if that's what it was trying to do during that back-and-forth crap...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2009, 02:14 PM

Hi there,
It was with some trepidation that I 'grasped the nettle' and downloaded the Combo from the Apple site. (Never use Software Update)
Before installing it, I first repaired permissions, then I verified the disk - after which I installed the update.
My MBP restarted a couple of times and was running a-ok. I again checked permissions. I then downloaded the Safari 4 beta update and ran a permission check again.
I have to say that I have not had any problems whatsoever - in fact the system seems to be snappier, if not a little faster.
Nothing missing, no sleep problems - all files seem to be in their right place etc, etc ....
So, a positive and happy outcome - with no tearing of hair or rending of garments!
voicebox
"If you don't like the heat, don't go in the kitchen!"
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 15, 2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by voicebox View Post
... I first repaired permissions, then I verified the disk ... I again checked permissions. ... and ran a permission check again.
Interesting.

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Interesting.
Just following a well tried practice when upgrading - have always done it - always will ... and in doing so, it has always worked!
I don't want to sound pompous - but in following those guidelines I have never had any serious problems with any of my Mac computers!
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
May 15, 2009, 04:53 PM

I've never done it and have never had any serious problems either. I will never repair permissions unless I actually have a problem that calls for it.

If you insist on repairing permissions when updating, just do it after the update. Doing it before is a total waste of time. Even if your permissions were totally borked, it won't matter. The installer runs as root and permissions have no effect on root.
Vandelay Industries

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2009, 05:32 PM

Just following a well tried practice when upgrading - have always done it - always will ... and in doing so, it has always worked!
I don't want to sound pompous - but in following those guidelines I have never had any serious problems with any of my Mac computers!
The fact that you enter your password to install a system update means that it is completely irrelevant whether the proper permissions have been set beforehand; the installer has superuser rights and will install whatever it needs to, wherever it wants to, with exactly the permissions it requires.

Repairing permissions before AND after an update just means you have too much time to waste.

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
The fact that you enter your password to install a system update means that it is completely irrelevant whether the proper permissions have been set beforehand; the installer has superuser rights and will install whatever it needs to, wherever it wants to, with exactly the permissions it requires.

Repairing permissions before AND after an update just means you have too much time to waste.
Well it works for me - and it seems to keep my MPB happy - so there - with knobs on!!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2009, 06:01 PM

"Oi! Just what do you think you're doing, spreading that powder all over the street!"

"It's elephant powder, constable. It's to keep the elephants away."

"There aren't any elephants around here!"

"See?"

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2009, 06:00 AM

"Oi! Just what do you think you're doing, spreading that powder all over the street!"

"It's elephant powder, constable. It's to keep the elephants away."

"There aren't any elephants around here!"

"See?"
Hi Spheric Harlot,
Interesting take ...mmm..
By the way, have you had any problems during and after installing 10.5.7?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2009, 06:24 AM

Hi Spheric Harlot,
Interesting take ...mmm..
By the way, have you had any problems during and after installing 10.5.7?
None whatsoever - so far.

This is my production machine, and it's gone right on chugging along.

::knocks on wood::

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 16, 2009, 07:43 AM

I'm going to take the plunge later this morning, I just finished installing my new 500gig 7200 RPM drive WOOHOO in my MBP and I opted to reinstall OSX as opposed to using TM to do a full restore. Its currently pulling back my data now, but I thought it was better in the long run to start with a clean install. I've been adding/deleting all sorts of apps lately, but I digress.

I've got my fingers crossed, because I have > gig of updates to download and apply, including a huge 10.5.7 combo update.
~Mike

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2009, 09:44 AM

None whatsoever - so far.

This is my production machine, and it's gone right on chugging along.

::knocks on wood::
Congratulations Spheric Harlot,
It would appear that we both, in our own way, have reached nirvana .... we must count ourselves lucky - other people have not been able to share our good fortune!
voicebox

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2009, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post
Maybe "Apple's shoddy QA" missed something with 10.5.4, and 10.5.5, 10.5.6, & 10.5.7 updates have fixed the errors?
Actually, I just checked and realized that my MacBook is still at 10.5.2. My general process with Apple's OSs is to apply updates until I get to a build that has no errors for how I use the OS, and then I stay at that build until they release something new that entices me to upgrade. 10.5.2 is working for me without any problems. Given how difficult Apple makes it to get back to previously stable builds, I think I'll stay at 10.5.2 until something else appealing shows up.

Interestingly, I have no such worries with Windows and have it set to auto-update.

JKT
Professional Poster
May 16, 2009, 04:39 PM

Apple does give an easy way to roll back an update - it is called Time Machine. Prior to 10.5, it was called Backup and Restore in Disk Utility.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2009, 05:00 PM

Congratulations Spheric Harlot,
It would appear that we both, in our own way, have reached nirvana .... we must count ourselves lucky - other people have not been able to share our good fortune!
Certainly.

I dare propose, though, that it wasn't their lack of discipline in performing questionable acts (of "maintenance") wot messed them up.

ghporter
Administrator
May 16, 2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Interestingly, I have no such worries with Windows and have it set to auto-update.
Windows fixes are most commonly to repair yet another hole or other method of exploiting a flaw in the code that implements the OS. They take their sweet time in actually fixing functions that don't work correctly or that fail in some way to do what they are supposed to.

How long did it take for MS to come out with OS support for WPA2 in XP? And then they hid it, marking it as a not "high-priority" update, then didn't make it explicitly clear that SP3 did indeed contain this update.

In this case, your "auto-update" is actually patching the ever increasing number of holes and hazards that are inherent to Windows, while OS X updates actually FIX things and provide new features as soon as possible within reason-there's a balance between getting the updates out and making sure they are as bobble-free as possible.

So your "interesting" observation is really an attempt to compare apples to bananas.

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2009, 06:55 PM

Certainly.

I dare propose, though, that it wasn't their lack of discipline in performing questionable acts (of "maintenance") wot messed them up.

Would you like to meet for coffee ....?

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 16, 2009, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
I've never done it and have never had any serious problems either. I will never repair permissions unless I actually have a problem that calls for it.

If you insist on repairing permissions when updating, just do it after the update. Doing it before is a total waste of time. Even if your permissions were totally borked, it won't matter. The installer runs as root and permissions have no effect on root.
Heed these words of wisdom.

Art speaks the truth.

cgc
Professional Poster
May 17, 2009, 11:24 PM

Just noticed another upgrade I've been waiting on forever is OSX...Apple changed the Energy Saver icon to this:

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2009, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Just noticed another upgrade I've been waiting on forever is OSX...Apple changed the Energy Saver icon to this:
That's on all recent macs only from at least 10.5.5.

Older macs still have the same icon even with 10.5.7.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ghporter
Administrator
May 18, 2009, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post

My 2007 aluminum iMac still has incandescent, not CFL.

By the way, my wife's month-old MacBook updated last night without any bobbles. It didn't even seem to take as long to do its thing as other updates on my iMac have.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2009, 09:07 AM

My 2007 aluminum iMac still has incandescent, not CFL.
Weird, all the Macs I have here (2006 Mac Pro, 2007 aluminum iMac, 2008 MacBook Pro Unibody and even the 2003 Power Mac G4 MDD) got the CFL icon.

The MDD has the 23" ACD -aluminum- attached to it but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I can remember it's been on the MacBook Pro since day one, hence 10.5.5 as Erik says.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2009, 09:31 AM

That's an uglier icon. This is what Apple artists are spending their time on?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

cgc
Professional Poster
May 18, 2009, 09:51 AM

Really? Seems odd Apple would have it check Mac version prior to drawing an icon...

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2009, 12:11 PM

Apple doesn't check the Mac version. System Preferences caches the icon. If you had it open before while the old icon was current, you still get that. New accounts get the new icon.

ghporter
Administrator
May 18, 2009, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Apple doesn't check the Mac version. System Preferences caches the icon. If you had it open before while the old icon was current, you still get that. New accounts get the new icon.
Any way to purge the cache?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2009, 03:39 PM

With OnyX maybe?

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2009, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Any way to purge the cache?
Quite likely, dumping this file should do the trick:
~/Library/Caches/com.apple.preferencepanes.cache

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
That's an uglier icon. This is what Apple artists are spending their time on?
I don't see enough difference to qualify one as being "uglier" than the other... but certainly the newer one is far more apropos. Don't the stores in your neck of L.A. carry the new energy saving light bulbs yet?
-HI-

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post
Quite likely, dumping this file should do the trick:
~/Library/Caches/com.apple.preferencepanes.cache
*ding ding ding*

That did the trick.

I wish real energy saving bulbs had the warmth of that icon though

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2009, 10:10 PM

*ding ding ding*

That did the trick.

I wish real energy saving bulbs had the warmth of that icon though
Really. The icon should be all blue and sterile.

I'm glad the update came along when it did -- I had something wrong with my directory that I might not have caught until much later. I went to back up my system drive before running the update, and with two different backup utilities, one after a re-boot, my available disk space (on the drive Iwas backing up FROM) dwindled from 78 gb to zero over about 5 minutes. Some sort of temp file gone insane. Fortunately, I hadn't overwritten anything crucial on the backup drive, was able to boot from it, and Disk Warrior seemed to fix it up (incorrect free space in directory Desktop) so that I was able to proceed with the backup.

The install of 10.5.7 itself has been fine on two diff. G5s. I still have erratic syncing problems with MobileMe, but what's new?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2009, 12:35 PM

I read recently (can't remember where) an interview with someone about energy efficient bulbs - the chap said something along the lines of "one of our main problems at the mo is the "alien autopsy" light they throw". I liked that

kyles_mac
May 21, 2009, 08:48 AM

Would anyone know why 10.5.7 wouldn't show up in Software update? I've wanted to update for quite a while, but every time I check it says I am up-to-date...which clearly, I am not.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2009, 09:26 AM

You can download the update straight from Apple.

Here's the delta update and here's the combo update.

TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2009, 06:28 AM

I recently got 3 Apple Security Update notices via my email. I then checked Software Update via System Preference Pane. It advised my to install 10.5.7 update (449 Mb) which took close to 2 hours. I am assuming that this update came with the recent Apple Security Updates mentioned above or do I have to download & install them separately ??? Also, after installing 10.5.7 update, Safari 3.2.3 will not load. It just hangs for ever. Firefox 3.0.8 loads and works fine but not Safari 3.2.3. Any ideas on how to fix? Should I go ahead and get Safari 4 Beta? So far these are the only issues I have encountered after the update and hopefully no more will appear. It might be beneficial for us to start a thread listing and dealing with the main/most common issues that have arisen after downloading and installing 10.5.7. As always though, Apple ROCKS !!!

Peace out,
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

Cold Warrior
May 24, 2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by TheZee View Post
I recently got 3 Apple Security Update notices via my email. I then checked Software Update via System Preference Pane. It advised my to install 10.5.7 update (449 Mb) which took close to 2 hours. I am assuming that this update came with the recent Apple Security Updates mentioned above or do I have to download & install them separately ??? Also, after installing 10.5.7 update, Safari 3.2.3 will not load. It just hangs for ever. Firefox 3.0.8 loads and works fine but not Safari 3.2.3. Any ideas on how to fix? Should I go ahead and get Safari 4 Beta? So far these are the only issues I have encountered after the update and hopefully no more will appear. It might be beneficial for us to start a thread listing and dealing with the main/most common issues that have arisen after downloading and installing 10.5.7. As always though, Apple ROCKS !!!

Peace out,
If software update doesn't show you the security updates anymore, then they were included in 10.5.7.

Yes, I'd upgrade to Safari 4 beta. If you don't like it, Safari 4's installer will uninstall it and reinstall Safari 3.

TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2009, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the heads up on Apple's recent security and OS X updates. I was tripping because I got the email alerts from Apple indicating the Security Updates but then when I used Software Update in the System Preferences Pane the only thing that appeared was the OS X 10.5.7 update. I went ahead and installed it, around 400 and something MBs. I wish Apple would make the email alerts for the Security Updates and what appears in the Software Update System Preference Pane match. I bet that I am not the only one who finds it sometimes a bit confusing. Anyway, all clear now thanks to you and every other Mac Addict who shares their knowledge with the world. Peace out . . .
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2009, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post

I have never understood why we should repair permissions before or after system updates. The installer comes with its own permissions, right? Why revert to previous permissions settings, probably not 100% compatible with what the update needs, after having applied the update?

What I do each time before applying such an update, is to boot in single-user mode and run fsck to repair any minor hard disk issue.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2009, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
I heard the installer does that itself.
I doubt this is true.
For the fun of it, I ran my Repair Permissions before installing 10.5.7.

RP took more than 15 min to finish, the Update installed in less than 5.

So, unless the Update skips repairing certain (non-critical) areas, I don't see how this is supposed to be working.

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2009, 09:09 AM

If repairing permissions is necessary, then Apple is negligent in not informing users of it when they upgrade.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2009, 11:24 AM

I don't dispute that RP is probably not necessary; I'm disputing the statement that the installer does it.

-t

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pierre B. View Post
Why revert to previous permissions settings, probably not 100% compatible with what the update needs, after having applied the update?
I do not promote or condemn repairing perms... folks can do (or not do) what the he11 they want.

But there is a (seemingly ubiquitous) misunderstanding that running a permissions repair can only enforce the original setting (10.5.0 in this case). Bzzzt... false. Somewhere around mid-Panther, Apple introduced a way to override original settings, and -- even though the method has changed in Leopard -- the ability still exists (when properly coded that is). Disk Utility can be made aware of changes, and enforce the latest wisdom from Cupertino.

Unfortunately, some shoddily configured updates have been released lately which have simply skipped over these mechanisms. [i guess all the QC folks are committed to Snow Leopard?] There may also be some glitch which is hampering its effectiveness. I.e., sometimes it doesn't work for some people.

Witness here however that it can work:
Code:
$ pkgutil -v --file-info /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iLifeMediaBrowser.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources |tail -21 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.5.6.combo pkg-version: 1.0.1.1191932192 install-time: Tue Dec 16 00:33:52 2008 uid: 0 (root) gid: 0 (wheel) mode: 100644 (-rw-r--r-- ) pkgid: com.apple.pkg.iLifeMediaBrowser_202 pkg-version: 2.0.2.1.1220381056 install-time: Thu Mar 26 23:20:05 2009 uid: 0 (root) gid: 0 (wheel) mode: 120755 (lrwxr-xr-x ) pkgid: com.apple.pkg.iLifeMediaBrowser_203 pkg-version: 2.0.3.1.1220381056 install-time: Sat Jun 6 23:30:12 2009 uid: 0 (root) gid: 0 (wheel) mode: 120755 (lrwxr-xr-x )
There we can see how Disk Utility was made aware that the iLifeMediaBrowser.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources item (which was formerly a regular file) is now a symbolic link!!!

At least that one item got handled properly on my Mac... proving such actions are indeed possible. But something somewhere is funked up, because many other "CodeResources" items still show up in DU's report window unnecessarily, as supposedly disagreeing with expectations.

It's a bug, and that should be what people become aware of... not these other myths and misunderstandings.
( Last edited by Hal Itosis; Jun 12, 2009 at 12:09 PM. Reason: because i can... that's why.)
-HI-

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2009, 01:18 PM

Here's something I just noticed: looks like 10.5.7 finally fixed the Spaces+Carbon Window Groups bug that's been driving me insane since 10.5.0. For those unfamiliar with the bug, see here or here for a basic idea of the bug.

I don't have CS4 to test it out on, but Office 2008 has been working fine on two different machines now. Can anyone else confirm this?

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2009, 03:33 PM

It has? I haven't used Office 2008 enough recently to notice, but that is one bug that was driving me up the wall, so let's hope so. However, it still hasn't fixed new Mail messages from appearing behind my Viewer window whenever I create them from other apps such as my browser; or non-modal dialogues from getting trapped behind windows making it necessary for you to force quit apps to get rid of them. Or the plethora of other issues I experience each day. Damn.

Forum Links
Forum Rules