Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How quiet are the new summer 2010 Mac Pros?

How quiet are the new summer 2010 Mac Pros?
applefreak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2010, 07:05 AM

Does anybody have any experience with their new summer 2010 Mac Pro in terms of fan noise? How quiet is it?

Furthermore, as the machines increase in speed and number of cores, are the machines louder (more fan noise to dissipate the extra heat)? Does anyone know if the Quad-Core with one 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Nehalem” processor is louder than the 8 core machine with Two 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” processors?

I am a freak about loud computers and want them as quiet as possible.

512ke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2010, 04:04 PM

Dont know dont care, if you are using a pro computer any sound it makes is the sound of money. The harder it works the more noise it makes. Its working not doing its nails.
I once stood next to a Silicon Graphics workstation (back in their heyday) when a rendering demo began. That thing sounded like diesel tractor at full roar as multiple processors and fans and scsi drives wailed. The movie rendered by that computer and its mates made millions. I doubt the operators really cared about how loud it was.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2010, 08:19 PM

I love silent computing and I hope Apple is building its new Mac Pros that way.

Cars also cost money, and I still can't enjoy traffic noise.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2010, 02:30 AM

Hmmm, given the choice between:
a) Fast, quiet computer
b) Fast, noisy computer

...I'd take the noisy one because it makes me feel good about how much money it's making me.
</sarcasm>

applefreak  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2010, 04:46 AM

HA! Loved the comments.

But I was sincerely wondering if anyone has spent some time alone with the 2010 New Mac Pros, alone, in a cave, at night 100 miles from the nearest town or airport in order to asses the noise coming form the multiple fans inside the cheese grater tower....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2010, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post
Dont know dont care, if you are using a pro computer any sound it makes is the sound of money. The harder it works the more noise it makes. Its working not doing its nails.
I once stood next to a Silicon Graphics workstation (back in their heyday) when a rendering demo began. That thing sounded like diesel tractor at full roar as multiple processors and fans and scsi drives wailed. The movie rendered by that computer and its mates made millions. I doubt the operators really cared about how loud it was.
Yeah, and having sat next to a number of G5s wailing on full during music production work, I can attest to their operators' desire to run expensive 20-foot cables to computers hidden in a cabinet NEXT DOOR in order to actually be able to make money…

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2010, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post
Dont know dont care...
Then why bother replying?

subsea
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2010, 02:46 PM

Got one of the quad-core models and all I can say is it’s almost inaudible compared to my G5.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 1, 2010, 08:41 PM

What about the various GPU fans?

On my 2008 Mac Pro, the whole computer is quiet, except for the GPU fan (it's the 8800GT card, whose fan can be famously loud), which spins up briefly while booting, then goes silent, but does come on during very heavy GPU use — only Portal has ever made the fan spin up. (Not even other games, like Spore, did that.)

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2010, 09:03 PM

You could buy one of those air conditioned low profile server cabinets, then stick your Mac in there.

http://www.kellsystems.com/

This one would even make a nice table.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules