Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can classic be run from a seperate partition?

Can classic be run from a seperate partition?
Sean7
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2001, 05:11 AM

Can classic be run from a seperate partition?
osx.vr9.com

kovacs
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2001, 05:31 AM

Yes, I have OS 9 installed on a different partition and it works fine. I even think that you can run classic from a different disk ( maybe even a network disk ). Having OS 9 on a different partition makes it much easier to keep both systems in perfect condition.

Sean7  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2001, 07:09 AM

Thats what ill be doing when i get my ibook, although i think ill have to as the ibook apparantly has some trouble at the moment with having 2 OSs on one partition.

I get the sence also that a lot of corruption goes on in the system otherwise i doubt the system check would come up so much on 9.1 startup.
osx.vr9.com

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2001, 12:38 PM

Yes, but I think the X partition needs to be the first on the HD.

You can definitely run classic on a separate HD, that's how mine is set up, X on one disk, Classic/9.1 on another.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2001, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Sean7:
<STRONG>Thats what ill be doing when i get my ibook, although i think ill have to as the ibook apparantly has some trouble at the moment with having 2 OSs on one partition.

I get the sence also that a lot of corruption goes on in the system otherwise i doubt the system check would come up so much on 9.1 startup.</STRONG>
There is a bug in OS X currently where booting from 9.1 w/o stopping Classic within OS X first before restarting causes the system check to occur. Apple has said that this is a nuisance only-Classic does in fact shut down properly but the dirty file system flag isn't set properly.

dopik
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2001, 01:10 PM

OS X and Classic can be installed on different disk. Classic is on my first HD and X is on the second. I have no problem with this configuration - I have a G4. However, I have heard that if you have a iMac Rev A, you need to install X on the first partition otherwise it won't start.

dopik
I am a Compulsive Software Update Button Clicker

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2001, 01:14 PM

I'm going to move this over to the Mac OS X Usage & Support forum. Click through to find your post.

Forum Links
Forum Rules